Camera Works -UK

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Are these guys the real deal or did I make a mistake sending a  Leica IA there for restoration? I read online that their work is incredible but it seems to me as if they may have gone out of business. 

https://www.cameraworks-uk.com

I mailed my Leica IA  via Fed Ex almost a year ago (end of June21) and it was signed for July 8. I have not heard a peep from them since. I have sent a few Emails (3), phoned once and have gotten absolutely no reply. For the amount the camera is worth as well as what I was quoted to have this done, one would expect a reply or some sort of update after almost a year. 

Edited by Freightdawg747

I

1 hour ago, Freightdawg747 said:

have gone out of business?

Don't think so. They posted on their Facebook page on 16th May, and it looks like it's Alan's 65th birthday today.

They are popular and hence slow (it is only Alan and his son) . I would try through Facebook, although agree not the most professional..

Edited by pedaes

1 hour ago, Freightdawg747 said:

Are these guys the real deal or did I make a mistake sending a  Leica IA there for restoration? I read online that their work is incredible but it seems to me as if they may have gone out of business. 

https://www.cameraworks-uk.com

I mailed my Leica IA  via Fed Ex almost a year ago (end of June21) and it was signed for July 8. I have not heard a peep from them since. I have sent a few Emails (3), phoned once and have gotten absolutely no reply. For the amount the camera is worth as well as what I was quoted to have this done, one would expect a reply or some sort of update after almost a year. 

Well they are definitely for real, and well respected for their excellent work. They usually give you an idea of time frame, which can be long.  They serviced a body and lens for me a couple of years ago, quoted 3-4 months turnaround and I had them back on just about the four month mark. 

You can message them via Facebook which usually gets a reply fairly quickly but it's hard to believe they would have left you hanging this long.  Also surprising they accepted the work as they announced on the website last year (April 21) that they were not accepting any overseas work, due to heavy workload and duty.   You should try contacting them, hope you get it sorted.

Email QuerINTERNATIONAL CUSTOMERS:

Please note: as of 27th April 2021, we can no longer accept any work from outside of the United Kingdom. This is due to the increasing amount of duties and customs charges levied against us that we can't claim back and are unsustainable. Read more.

6 minutes ago, Boojay said:

were not accepting any overseas work,

It is a shrinking world for camera repairs. The excellent Will van Manen in the Netherlands stopped taking UK work after Brexit because of the hassle involved.

• Like 4

On 5/20/2022 at 1:07 PM, pedaes said:

I

Don't think so. They posted on their Facebook page on 16th May, and it looks like it's Alan's 65th birthday today.

They are popular and hence slow (it is only Alan and his son) . I would try through Facebook, although agree not the most professional..

Thanks... I got a response through Facebook messenger.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/3/2022 at 12:08 PM, LocalHero1953 said:

Did they explain why you had to wait so long and couldn't get a reply?

I think it just got lost in the shuffle. They were very responsive when I reached out through their Facebook page using messenger.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 11:21 AM, oldwino said:

Beautiful! 
such a good feeling, isn’t it, when a camera comes back from service, especially in this condition! 

Great feeling. I have a few restorations at home and I've been lucky all the work has been very good.