Is it bad to want a lens just because of how it looks?

Huss

Advertisement (gone after registration)

one of my more recent acquisitions - a 1952 W Nikkor-C 28/f3.5 LTM (well at least the lens cap is black paint)

very similar in look/size to the original Summaron 28 (1955) but predates it by a couple of years plus it has an extra one & a half stops

I personally don't mind nickel/chrome lenses on black bodies

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by romualdo
  • Like 8

Nothing at all wrong with this.  It's one of the reasons I own/use two copies of the matte black 28mm Leica Summaron (#11928).  One of them lives on my black bodied, digital M and the other on my black bodied, film M.

I wouldn't have gotten this lens if it were silver but in black, I love how this lens looks...so much that I doubled down and got two of 'em.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Kreeshp said:

Nothing at all wrong with this.  It's one of the reasons I own/use two copies of the matte black 28mm Leica Summaron (#11928).  One of them lives on my black bodied, digital M and the other on my black bodied, film M.

I wouldn't have gotten this lens if it were silver but in black, I love how this lens looks...so much that I doubled down and got two of 'em.

Please post some pics of those!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, Kreeshp said:

...It's one of the reasons I own/use two copies of the matte black 28mm Leica Summaron (#11928).  One of them lives on my black bodied, digital M and the other on my black bodied, film M...

First-things-first; having used one quite a lot over the last few months I've discovered that the TTA 28mm f5.6 combines superb performance with an incredibly tiny package.

Because I often like to shoot with lenses of the same f/l on two bodies concurrently (Colour and B'n'W) I'm seriously considering buying the Black-Chrome TTA even although I already have the Silver-Chrome one. Visually the newcomer would also happen suit my Black-Paint M-D Typ-262 better than the S-C one does and, in turn, that lens matches my Silver-Chrome M Monochrom perfectly. In this fashion I can use 'the same lens' with both bodies at the same time...and, as it happens, they would look seriously 'At Home' mounted on their respective bodies...

:)

Philip.

Edit : FWIW I did much the same thing with v3 90mm Summicrons; my silver-chrome one was bought in addition to a black-chrome one simply because, unquestionably, it is the most extraordinarily beautiful piece of workmanship I've ever experienced in a lens. It's also a spectacularly good performer.

Gratuitous pics have been posted before but here they are again anyway......[blush]......

Edited by pippy
  • Like 7

Photography is a visual art, so, it should follow that desiring a lens, due to its visual aesthetic appeal, is a good and normal thing. None of the Chinese-made lenses have triggered any such desire, in my case, but visual appeal has played a quite major role, in one or two of my Voigtlander lens purchases, especially the 35mm Skopar f/2.5, if I recall correctly. Already having a 3.5cm f/3.5 Summaron, and a Zeiss Distagon 1,4/35mm ZM, I had 35mm well-covered, and the Skopar VM did not provide any visual rendering that I felt that I needed. It was sufficiently inexpensive, that I could afford to buy a glorified body cap, at the time.

Edited by RexGig0

1 hour ago, RexGig0 said:

Photography is a visual art, so, it should follow that desiring a lens, due to its visual aesthetic appeal, is a good and normal thing. None of the Chinese-made lenses have triggered any such desire, in my case, ...

My brass Light Lens Lab 8 Elements Replica triggers that desire in me.

• Like 5

On 5/23/2022 at 4:49 AM, erniethemilk said:

I have the silver 28mm TT Artisans. The black does look nice and I’ll look at it when it’s released. 

I just hope the paint on the black lens lasts longer than it does in the lens hood… only have to look at mine and another small piece flakes off. 😆

I would not use the hood as all the size advantage disappears.  The lens is brass, so if the paint flakes off? Instant cred...

What is the hood made of? Aluminium? 

Edited by Huss

1 hour ago, Huss said:

...What is the hood made of? Aluminium?...

From the images of the 'pre-worn' (or 'attacked with a grinding disc') examples posted it's made of brass.

I know you meant the comment to be taken 100% tongue-in-cheek, Huss, so absolutely not directed towards you at all but 'Instant Cred' is reserved for something far more substantial than merely 'wearing' knackered camera kit...

:lol:

Philip.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Summilux-asph said:

Personally, I wouldn’t get a lens I don’t need just because I like how it looks. 

I love the 28f5.6 from Leica (I wouldn’t buy a TTArtisan or any of those Chinese lenses), but the truth is, my 28f2 Ultron II beats them all for size and IQ. So it’s just unnecessary.

You may be looking for that kind of lens, so why not get something more challenging that you don’t have but has the same look?

Get the Voigtlander 40f2.8 Heliar

Already have that.  For the same reason.  What other suggestions you got?

6 hours ago, kivis said:

I could look at this lens all day. What a beaut!

Agreed.  That is the nicest to use lens that I have.  Everything feels perfect, and the focus throw is exactly on  - not too short, not too long.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Summilux-asph said:

...I love the 28f5.6 from Leica (I wouldn’t buy a TTArtisan or any of those Chinese lenses), but the truth is, my 28f2 Ultron II beats them all for size and IQ...

Could you please explain in what way, exactly, the Voigtlander 28m f2 Ultron II beats the TTA in terms of size and IQ?

I'm hoping you will be speaking from personal experience.

Thanks in advance!

P.

Edited by pippy

3 hours ago, Summilux-asph said:

Depends. Some people are lens collectors. They have 6 copies of the exact same lens. They end up with a room filled with suitcases lined with foam where they store hundreds of lenses. And that’s their hobby. 

I have 1 camera & 2 lenses. If I buy a new lens, then I sell a lens. I never want more than 2. 

My hobby is taking photos. All I need is a 28mm and a 50mm. Whatever they are. The lenses I have now give me the results I like. So I go out and take pictures. The hobby is trying to take a really good photo, not collecting lenses. 

I would rather my photo looked good than my lens looked good. 

Whatever works for you!

10 hours ago, Summilux-asph said:

Right. Nothing wrong with being a lens collector. 

Indeed.  And nothing wrong with having a vast selection - I mean gigantic like if I had to count using fingers and toes, I'd run out and have to start using other people's fingers and toes - of lenses on hand to choose from as sees fit.