Q2 Speedlight Options?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm shopping for a TTL capable flash for my Q2. I know folks love the SF24D but they are, in a word, pricy (when you can find them). Just wondering if there are any recent alternatives people have found. This is for portrait work and I'll be using it both on and off camera. Thanks!

If you want TTL you're pretty much limited to something like the SF40 which is in the same price range as the SF24D but easier to find.  Even then off camera will be next to impossible with the TTL function.

Many people are choosing the LightPix Labs Q20ii which is fully manual but has excellent off camera remote capabilities.

https://www.lightpixlabs.com/pages/q20ii

Good luck with your search and if you find something else that fits your specs, please let us know.

• Like 1

If I'm using a flash in manual mode, I would like a physical dial power control. It looks like the Q20ii has just buttons? I had the SF64 and found it unusable at speed because of its buttons and menu system.

I use off-camera flash almost all the time, but, with a new Q2, I could see the value of on-camera fill-in flash for casual situations. 

I ended up with a SF-26, I know people dog this flash but after using it I don't know why.  Fill flash in Texas sun is awesome, I have to turn it down when using at night.  Also mine has fast cycle times so I don't understand what others have said about that.  I found a flash diffuser for portraits. I am picking up a second one.  I use it 50/50 TTL and Manual modes.  I picked it up after seeing Greg Williams using one, thanks Greg.....

Edited by tharsh
  • Like 1