New M-A with debris /dust in viewfinder

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi All,

I bought an M-A last week and received it yesterday - opened it today and added the roll of Tri- X, shot two frames and then noticed there was an issue with debris on the glass. Thought to blow it off or wipe gently but its actually under the glass.

To say I'm disappointed is an understatement - spent 10k inc 35mm 1.4 and didn't even get out the door with it and it has to be sent back 

I thought these were sealed units  - Has anyone experienced this with a new M body?

Thanks 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Sorry to hear this.

I understand your disappointment.

I hope that Leica will give you another "perfect" M-A.

Have a look in this thread

To be fair, my two M-A from new never have this (even if I don't care if this arrives to them, not ruining my pictures).

Edited by a.noctilux

14 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Sorry to hear this and it should not occur. But an M body is not sealed. Dust from elsewhere in the body can migrate during transport. 

Does this mean the viewfinder can have this occur rapidly anytime down the line even if it’s replaced. Very sad thought for a new user that’s just dropped 10k on Leica products. 

8 minutes ago, Garym2022 said:

Does this mean the viewfinder can have this occur rapidly anytime down the line even if it’s replaced. Very sad thought for a new user that’s just dropped 10k on Leica products. 

yes, of course as so many Leica M that I use for decades.

Sorry for you,

you may better buy a luxury waterproof watch, for 10k you can have (or not i do have fine non dustproof watches) waterproof dustproof toy ...I'm joking 🙃

Edited by a.noctilux

12 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

@Garym2022  I'm not certain on this, but the outer eyepiece of the M-A may be attached by thread screws.  If so, you can unscrew it, blow the dust out and screw it back on.  Give that a try before shipping it back to Leica.

I wouldn’t want to try myself with a brand new camera. If it were 3yrs+ old maybe I’d give it a go but not when it’s less that a day old. 

• Like 1

I’ve reached out to Leica Berlin where it was bought and to Leica support and am waiting a response - I’m hoping that they will have the decency to arrange collection via courier and see it sorted at Wetzlar or send a replacement once it’s been received and inspected. 

I hate to tell you this, but dust is a reality. If I inspect my viewfinder with a magnifying glass it looks like a snow globe. Hell, I even had a couple of bugs walking around in there.

Their little carcasses are still in there somewhere. It doesn't affect my pictures so I'll let the C part of an eventual CLA (years from now) take care of it.

7 hours ago, Huss said:

I don't care if eventually that could happen, a new camera should not be delivered like that.

And yet it was. They aren't built in a cleanroom. If you've ever used a Leica to take photos you'll understand that dust is insidious and always present--from exposure to print--no matter how careful you are.

The key is to use your Leica. Not obsess over it under a magnifying glass.

• Like 3

This is my first Leica - 2hrs old and held twice from packaging to test getting used to the process of the rangefinder - I’d understand it if it was months/years and eventually from multiple rolls and lens changes getting dusty but since their glass isn’t sealed around that area very well it seems if this is the case in a matter of 10mins of using the thing I definitely wouldn’t drop 8k on a digital body to experience this for sure. How hard can it be to seal that area. Contacted Leica Berlin and they have said it’s not sealed but that definitely should t have happened on a new body. In all the years of owning cheaper brands. Canon, Olympus and multiple Fujifilm bodies I’ve never seen this happen. Understandably it’s mechanical and can be completely broken down but that area should be fairly tight considering the outcome. 

On 5/18/2022 at 10:48 PM, Garym2022 said:

I’m hoping that they will have the decency to arrange collection via courier and see it sorted at Wetzlar or send a replacement once it’s been received and inspected. 

This is standard procedure, so why not?  However, if you want to address this right now, you should let your dealer handle this, much more effective and usually faster. Personally I would just report the issue, start using the camera and make an appointment with Leica CS to have the camera cleaned at a convenient time. 

16 hours ago, Garym2022 said:

... Contacted Leica Berlin and they have said it’s not sealed but that definitely should not have happened on a new body.

Exactly.  Even the Leica Store agrees with you!

17 hours ago, Garym2022 said:

This is my first Leica - 2hrs old and held twice from packaging to test getting used to the process of the rangefinder - I’d understand it if it was months/years and eventually from multiple rolls and lens changes getting dusty but since their glass isn’t sealed around that area very well it seems if this is the case in a matter of 10mins of using the thing I definitely wouldn’t drop 8k on a digital body to experience this for sure. How hard can it be to seal that area. Contacted Leica Berlin and they have said it’s not sealed but that definitely should t have happened on a new body. In all the years of owning cheaper brands. Canon, Olympus and multiple Fujifilm bodies I’ve never seen this happen. Understandably it’s mechanical and can be completely broken down but that area should be fairly tight considering the outcome. 

After all of this, you probably won’t get a fresh roll of Tri-X either.