Future value of aps-c glass?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I asked myself what to do if my CL/TL body stops working after they are discontinued and hard to get from the used market. The simple solution for today is perhaps Leica SL2 or Lumix S1H, the APSC-C mode with 40+ MP sensor would be close to CL to TL2, and even with sift sensor stabilizer. The firmware controlled image rendering may not be the same as original CL/T.  LUMIX S5 is another alternative, but with inferior resolution. Whether it matters is up to personal tastes. 

I asked myself how luckily it would happen. I have enough bad experiences with Leica Digilux 2 and M9 due to the sensor failures, I have also encountered dead light meter in R5, and film CL. Apparently these are due to the bad design ( or  the choice of a bad component).

On the orders hand, R4 and R7 works perfect as intended as new. My other Leica digital cameras work flawlessly too so far. I don’t expect any problem unless if I damage them by my own fault. So I am optimistically expecting my CL and T  to last as long as my age.

If I want to worry, the alternative is to buy other brand or other system. I can see the results. It would be like my other photography toys, such as SONY A7R2 and Fujifilm XE2, they work like new , and they would be serviceable easily, but my Leica keeps them locked in the display cabin. 

Recently I just purchased a second set of CL as a back-up. 

7 hours ago, Einst_Stein said:

I asked myself what to do if my CL/TL body stops working after they are discontinued and hard to get from the used market. The simple solution for today is perhaps Leica SL2 or Lumix S1H, the APSC-C mode with 40+ MP sensor would be close to CL to TL2, and even with sift sensor stabilizer. The firmware controlled image rendering may not be the same as original CL/T.  LUMIX S5 is another alternative, but with inferior resolution. Whether it matters is up to personal tastes. 

I asked myself how luckily it would happen. I have enough bad experiences with Leica Digilux 2 and M9 due to the sensor failures, I have also encountered dead light meter in R5, and film CL. Apparently these are due to the bad design ( or  the choice of a bad component).

On the orders hand, R4 and R7 works perfect as intended as new. My other Leica digital cameras work flawlessly too so far. I don’t expect any problem unless if I damage them by my own fault. So I am optimistically expecting my CL and T  to last as long as my age.

If I want to worry, the alternative is to buy other brand or other system. I can see the results. It would be like my other photography toys, such as SONY A7R2 and Fujifilm XE2, they work like new , and they would be serviceable easily, but my Leica keeps them locked in the display cabin. 

Recently I just purchased a second set of CL as a back-up. 

A wise decision. 

The one aspect that is unknown is how well the lenses will continue working when parts are no longer available. The glass, no doubt will be fine but electronics will be the limiting factor.  The Contax 645 system continued to be popular despite lack of support but that appealed to pro wedding photographers. Leica’s track record for aps-c and SL autofocus lenses is quite good but the S is abysmal. Long term is unknown for any of these. I have one Nikon lens they will not service for focus motor issues because they no longer support it. An independent repair say they can repair it but I haven’t sent it in. Looking back at old electronic bodies may be useful to see reliability of Leica. My own history of the SL/T/CL has been a deep dive, but the M continues to be my main system. Selling off all the aps-c lenses and bodies save one, a TL, it doesn’t get much use, partly because the Q is so capable.  I understand Leica’s position on discontinuing lines, but they need to be careful about their reputation, the reverberations from the R continue to this day.  

Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2022 at 9:56 AM, nicci78 said:

after the 6 years period, their value will tanked. Contrary to fully mechanical R lenses (which suffered massive lost of value)

I agree your opinion, and first we have to admit that Japanese manufactured TL lenses are slightly mispriced (not overpriced) from the beginning point. Although they outperform most of APS-C lenses in the market, its price range is way too far from what it is in general for APS-C market price standard and purpose. APS-C market is basically budget friendly market. Manufactures also design this market with compact and low cost options compare to full-frame market (except sport and wildlife machines). We clearly see overpriced Sony or some Sony Zeiss lenses always suffered its value and going down in the used market value. At this point, I feel a little sad for Leica's APS-C strategy. I understand what they tried to do, but they didn't read APS-C market at all.

Of course TL lenses are budget friendly option in Leica standard, but Leica users basically don't count on the price. Most Leica photographers care of its quality than price. Leica designed great TL lens series and lowered its cost by manufacturing in Japan like Zeiss usually does. I like it and my TL lenses are all great. It just cannot be praised by most Leica users who daily uses M glasses. TL glasses are compact and AF glasses, but compare to M glasses...Yes. We all know the answer. It is not about its original TL glass quality. I think the limitation comes from its form factor and competitors' ecosystem. Like Panasonic full-frame models are struggling in mirrorless full-frame market, fancy Leica APS-C models are hard to survive against Sony, Fuji, Nikon, and coming Canon RF APS-C market. Photography market always follows quality based on efficiency. High price point is always hard to appeal to general consumers and enthusiasts. So, I expect TL lenses manufactured in Japan would keep around half price of its original tag in the used market.

As other mentioned, I would put 35mm/60mm as exception of TL glasses. It is not just they are manufactured in Germany. I understand R lenses suffered massive lost of value in the used market. Most. Not All of them. 2/3 cam R-lenses and Rom R-lenses are very different. most Rom R-lenses are as good as M glasses (except third party rebadged) and still keeps its value well. If you google 35-70mm F2.8 or 28-90mm f2.8, you would understand immediately. I read one user experience that R 28-90mm f2.8 is better than SL 24-90mm F2.8 in terms of resolution. Again, it is not just because they are manufactured in Germany. They are just good glasses and people still pursue good glasses with different characteristics compare to modern lens design.

35mm/60mm TL shows fantastic quality on APS-C body and full-frame body as well. 60mm is already well-known to SL users for its versatility and quality, so I don't mention it. For 35mm, I personally did side by side test with CL with 35mm Summilux and Sony A7R series body with Sony Zeiss Planar 50mm F1.4 ZA which considered one of the highest quality 50mm lenses in the market. I know photographer probably choose lens by one's taste. Zeiss has strong characteristics which I admire all the time. However, as a deadpan photography photographer, I chose Leica Summilux TL 35mm F1.4 over full-frame Sony Zeiss. CL and 35mm Summilux combination provides more accurate color and honest resolution images over Megapixel monster A7R series and Sony Zeiss combination. 35mm Summilux shows similar or slightly better quality with a lot smaller size overall. Only bokeh on Sony Zeiss 50mm was slightly smoother but it mainly comes from full-frame vs APS-C depth of field and I can understand the differences. 

I personally believe that TL lenses on SL body is quite useful for its compact form factor. Yes, it is hard to compare with SL lenses, but for its size, decent result, and reasonable price over SL lenses, it is very worth to keep on full-frame L mount body. I don't doubt that magnificent 35mm/60mm keeping its value. It doesn't matter they are APS-C lens. They are really good lens deserve its price point. If they become a collectable item like R 35-70mm f2.8, its value would go higher. 

Edited by Ray Im

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2022 at 5:58 PM, elambo said:

I was lens shopping a couple weeks ago and asked two different mega shops about L-mount lenses -- both said that they'd been selling a lot of them and didn't currently have any in stock.

APSC lenses or full frame?

On 5/18/2022 at 9:52 AM, danielfrimley said:

I just asked for a trade in quote on my equipment from Wex Photo in the UK and they declined to make any offer - that’s on a body and three lenses

Oh no, sorry to hear this.  There will be some committed APSC users that will still want to pick these up.  Just a little harder to find.  

• 2 weeks later...