Leicameter: European Scheiner or US Scheiner?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I understand that Leicameters of the 1930s (LEDQA and WESTO) were manufactured by Weston in the USA for Leitz. These are calibrated in degrees Scheiner, but did they use the European Scheiner scale as the Leicameter was destined for use with a European product - or was it the US Scheiner scale as manufactured by a US company?

Alan

15 hours ago, jc_braconi said:

Hi
Look please on my web site, address with my signature, you have apage for the Leicameter's

Thank you - a very interesting website! But I've not seen the answer to my question there, so I still don't know if it's the European or American Scheiner scale that was used. I own a non-functioning WESTO (and an empty box for a LEDQA), but I'm none the wiser.

Alan

On 5/19/2022 at 3:20 PM, jc_braconi said:

You can read on the picts of the Leicameter page the f and degrees

I suppose they are in degrees SCHEINER and as there are made in America they are in American scale

https://leicahistorica.pagesperso-orange.fr/lightmeters.html

On 5/18/2022 at 10:39 AM, nf3996 said:

I understand that Leicameters of the 1930s (LEDQA and WESTO) were manufactured by Weston in the USA for Leitz. These are calibrated in degrees Scheiner, but did they use the European Scheiner scale as the Leicameter was destined for use with a European product - or was it the US Scheiner scale as manufactured by a US company?

Alan

There is some information here on German Scheiner v ASA https://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/Colour_Darkroom/Early_Perutz.html

The easiest way is to test against a meter that is in ASA or ISO.

William 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you everyone. It looks like the Leicameters made by E Leitz of New York used the American Scheiner scale. A couple of examples of emulsions and speeds listed on the back of my Model 650 are Gevaert Pan Chromosa at 21 Scheiner in daylight, and Perutz Neo Persenso at 22 Scheiner in daylight. From the links above, these would equate roughly to 27 European Scheiner/20 ISO, and 28 European Scheiner/25 ISO.

I am so glad that all we have to think about today is ISO!

Alan

On 5/21/2022 at 4:00 PM, Pyrogallol said:

ISO sounds digital to me, I still think film is measured in ASA.

I have used both ASA and ISO for film. I have a roll of ISO 100 Fomapan beside me as I type this. 

William