colored filters

Advertisement (gone after registration)

not sure where Leica's Q2 EVF, and/or rear screen sources it's display but can someone tell me if the effect of screwing on a colored filter (for black and white jpeg) is seen in the viewfinder and/or rear display?

same as when using a polarizer-are the effects seen?

is it even a good practice using filters for this purpose...should it all be done in post?

coming from SLRs with WYSIWYG I don't know how a mirrorless gets the image  to the viewfinder. 

thanks for reading!

hmmmm, thanks Clasmi 

but don't colored filters reduce the amount of light falling on a Q2M's sensor also?

is there more to the story?

I'd like to be able to see what these filters are doing whilst setting up the shot, instead of potentially days later sat in front of the computer screen, if possible. certainly the framing or angle taken from or perspective of the photo may be quite different with the filter on than later simulating those effects-where it's too late to reframe or re-imagine  

and of course a polarizer isn't really part of post processing  

I'm probably overthinking this (I imagine the filter's effect must be visible during the shot) but soon to be new to Leica and mirrorless too.

very much appreciate your thoughts and time !

Edited by timplog
verbiage edit

Yes you can see the effect of filters in the viewfinder. If you turn the camera into b&w. 
and I use this to dramatize the image. 

if you use a Polfilter you get effects you can’t generate in post. (Reflections disappear or appear) 

the other filters I use are nd filters 

and no you are not overthinking. 

but after thinking comes doing 😊

cheers 

• Thanks 1

If you have your camera set to B&W jpegs or raw plus b&w jpeg as I usually do, you'll see the effect of the filter in the EVF and or on the screen.  The raw image will be color and a red filter will make it really red.  Same as with a yellow or green filter the filter color will show up.  The displayed jpeg in B&W will look normal with filter effects.

I learned this while attempting to use a dark red IR filter.  The jpegs were the only useable images and they showed that on the screen and EVF.

Since a monochrome camera only does monochrome, the effects show normally without using the jpeg setting.

• Thanks 1

thanks all makes sense and great point re color filters "coloring" the raw file with the filter's color. 

could one effectively pull that excessive filter color out of the raw file in post, in a pinch?

anyways as Pelu2021 rightfully observed thinking should lead to doing 👍

best

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey everyone here's kind of a stupid question, but, I see Leica makes a green, yellow, and orange filter for their monochrome sensors...do they make a red filter? Having spent a lot of time in a 35mm darkroom, I always used a transparent red sheet for my landscape 35mm exposures. Is there a good red filter out there that is the same quality as Leica's brand? Why don't they make a red filter? 

Thank you for your help! 

15 minutes ago, AaronMRamsey said:

Hey everyone here's kind of a stupid question, but, I see Leica makes a green, yellow, and orange filter for their monochrome sensors...do they make a red filter? Having spent a lot of time in a 35mm darkroom, I always used a transparent red sheet for my landscape 35mm exposures. Is there a good red filter out there that is the same quality as Leica's brand? Why don't they make a red filter? 

Thank you for your help! 

There doesn’t appear to be a red filter on the UK Leica store, just green, yellow and orange. Maybe they think the red is too strong an effect.

There are plenty of good quality filters out there B+W and Hoya come to mind, I’ve used both.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/black-white-filters/ci/113/N/4026728353

Edited by OThomas

I would not recommend Leica filters. The B+W and Heliopan ones are better quality for less money with a far wider choice. Don’t use them in a color camera. You introduce noise on the color channels. Far better to emulate them in post processing. 

• Like 1