A CL owner

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am very happy with the images my CL system gives me.  I have a CL, and

a Verio-elmar-TL 1:3.5-5.6/18-56 ASPH,

an APO-Vario-Elmar 1:3.5-4.5/55-135ASPH,

a Summicron-T-1:2/23 ASPH, and

a Summilux-TL1:1.4/35 ASPH. 

I'm quite unhappy about the fact that Leica has decided to abandon this system.

My only question is will Leica offer an upgrade program for me to change from the discontinued and soon to be unsupported CL system to an  M-11 or an SL 2 system

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, earleygallery said:

I think the 'upgrade' program works along the lines of you take your gear to a Leica dealer and ask what they would give you for it against the purchase of an M11/SL2.

Too bad if an owner (like me) bought the CL gear from a Leica Store that does not trade in 2nd hand products.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 minutes ago, Studienkamera said:

Not sure about eBay's role in any potential Leica upgrade program.

There is no Leica upgrade program - you sell your gear and use the money towards the cost of the new camera (upgrade). I've upgraded over the years doing just this.

• Like 1

Does Nikon offer you an upgrade to the Z system cameras because you have owned and used a Nikon D series camera?

Does Sony offer you an upgrade to the A series because you have used liked a Nexus 6 and they don't make it any more?

Why should Leica offer you an upgrade to a new system because you own an older Leica system that they are no longer going to manufacture? Because you paid a lot of money for it...?

Does Mercedes offer you an upgrade because you own a C300 and they have now replaced that model with the C340?

NO manufacturer owes you anything but the product that you bought, the use and function of which is stipulated by the owners manual/specification sheet, a warranty by the rules of the warranty agreement, and repair/support services per the standards outlined by the agreed upon your area government's rules of merchantibility and product support. This has always been the case.   

G

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

The CL won't be unsupported, just discontinued and unloved. You will be able to get the camera repaired, serviced and questions answered from Leica formany years. 

My long ago unsupported Leica X1 had a lens extension motor replaced with a new one, within the last year, a long time after it became officially unsupported. I was very impressed, and it continues to serve me well.

I intend to continue to use my CL kit as long as I can practise photoraphy. I have two CL bodies, one  mainly for insurance against failure. It is likely to be my last new Leica purchase. The Leica CL is a highly versatile system, together wifh Leica  and Sigma lenses, it is capable of meeting all of my future needs. Enjoy your CL as long as it can be supported.  It is a very sturdy and highly dependable system. It is worth fsr more to current owners than potential trade-in values. Enjoy It and avoid mourning its withdrawal from Leica's current catalogue, which caters for different and very specific needs. Long live the CL and TL systems!

Edited by wda
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

10 hours ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

The CL won't be unsupported, just discontinued and unloved. You will be able to get the camera repaired, serviced and questions answered from Leica formany years. 

Six years….

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ramarren said:

Does Nikon offer you an upgrade to the Z system cameras because you have owned and used a Nikon D series camera?

Does Sony offer you an upgrade to the A series because you have used liked a Nexus 6 and they don't make it any more?

Why should Leica offer you an upgrade to a new system because you own an older Leica system that they are no longer going to manufacture? Because you paid a lot of money for it...?

Does Mercedes offer you an upgrade because you own a C300 and they have now replaced that model with the C340?

NO manufacturer owes you anything but the product that you bought, the use and function of which is stipulated by the owners manual/specification sheet, a warranty by the rules of the warranty agreement, and repair/support services per the standards outlined by the agreed upon your area government's rules of merchantibility and product support. This has always been the case.   

G

So simply and elegantly put! I could not agree more. I have always done part-exchanges when 'upgrading' to something new.

Leica had a cash back until April if you bought SL2 or SL2s or SL lenses.  I think CL was incl. I mean remember that 🤔

Nikon 800 and many more were included.  Maybe it would be a patch on the wound if now Leica offered a handsome "discount" cash back if you exchanged your CL or TL2 for SL2. Q eller M. 
So Leica has done it. 

2 hours ago, Kim Dahl said:

Leica had a cash back until April if you bought SL2 or SL2s or SL lenses.  I think CL was incl. I mean remember that 🤔

Nikon 800 and many more were included.  Maybe it would be a patch on the wound if now Leica offered a handsome "discount" cash back if you exchanged your CL or TL2 for SL2. Q eller M. 
So Leica has done it. 

Pretty sure that was a program aimed specifically at users of other manufacturers' systems, ie not Leica T/CL owners.

3 hours ago, ruskkyle said:

Pretty sure that was a program aimed specifically at users of other manufacturers' systems, ie not Leica T/CL owners.

Yes, you're right. It was just other brands.  Maybe Leica could repeat and add CL / TL - to keep its CL customers in L Mount and make some of its previous customers happy. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!