Found a new free 90 Summicron pre APO

tobey bilek

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It is New or mint +++ because I stored it a long lime ago.  I ordered it when the reps sample still had the shade that covered the f markings.  Mine came as later version. 1985 guesstimate.

I stored it because the pics were not sharp enough.  Bought a 90 thin Elmarit and it was better and I still have it.

Along came my M10R and I tried it again.  Focus is assured because I use RF+live view magnified/focus aid and they match up.  tripod pics are outstanding at 2.0.   So good I would not consider 90 APO. This is real close to my 100 APO.

Off tripod standing in same spot,  best you hang on to camera to keep details sharp.   My target was a chimney cover 300+ feet away.  They have a screen wit one inch openings and I can count them at F2.  Gets better stopped down.

My favorite 90 together with the R 90/2 non apo. It is sharp w/o being clinical at all apertures so if you find it soft handheld at f/2 you may wish to choose a faster shutter speed or have the lens CLA'd.

1 hour ago, pippy said:

I'm missing something here; if you ordered the lens in what way was it "free"?

Philip.

Depends on whether he forgot he had it after all these (37) years.

"Yesterday, I had no 90 f/2.0 pre-APO that I knew of - today I have one, without spending any money." ;)

Back in my early M years (2001-2006) a 90 Summicron "pre" was literally my dream lens - the dream would have me walking into some random camera store and finding a used one on the shelf, unloved, unused, and cheap. They were not all that common.

For Tobey, that dream may have actually come true..... ;)

BTW - in 1985, a new 90 Summicron-M was US$560.00, according to the old magazine ads from the big NYC mail-order stores.

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, tobey bilek said:

I ordered it when the reps sample still had the shade that covered the f markings.

I have that version. An odd design decision. I suppose the logic was: 'We've given the user a built-in hood, so they've no excuse not to pull it out and use it every time!'. It seems to go up and down in price, depending on whether the dealer views it as a rarity or an inconvenience.

12 hours ago, lct said:

My favorite 90 together with the R 90/2 non apo. It is sharp w/o being clinical at all apertures

I said this about the Summicron 90/2 v2 sorry. I don't dislike the v3 at all it is my favorite 90mm for portraits but it does too much color fringing for my taste so, to me at least, the king (or co-king with the R 90/2 non apo) remains the v2. Big king though admittedly...

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, Anbaric said:

An odd design decision. I suppose the logic was: 'We've given the user a built-in hood, so they've no excuse not to pull it out

I believe it was more a way to squeeze in a hood of actually-useful length (although in jest I have promoted your idea at times myself - ;) )

The predecessor v.2 90 f/2 (lct's favorite) is a longer lens overall - and still uses a two-segment telescoping hood to provide some decent shade.

If we are realistic, most of the built-in hoods on M lenses are pretty much token efforts, providing about as much shade as a bikini-thong. ;)

Exception would be the last (E46) 135mm Tele-Elmar-M (at right below), which has the overall length to work with - fully half of which is devoted to the pull-out hood.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

But is the heaviest of that line. Compact, light "M-sized" lenses have the vices of their virtues.

Edited by adan
  • Like 1