Q2 (firmware 4.0) JPEG Settings and iDR

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am really happy with the tweaks Leica has made with firmware 4.0, especially the highlight-weighted metering. I mostly shoot raw, and find that I don’t need to do a lot of post processing with the raw files because the colors are so great, but I like to have a flexibility (and small file sizes) of JPEG’s when I’m just walking around town clicking snaps. Have any of you played with the micro settings introduced with the new firmware?

Generally, I have not been happy the colors of the JPEGs in the Q2. What has been your experience using IDR and the new micro settings for film styles? Has anybody had success in improving their JPEG‘s by tweaking the settings?  Have you come up with any good combinations for the different film styles that are giving you different results? 

vor 2 Stunden schrieb LACANYONHIKER:

Well this was helpful, thanks guys.  🙄

I’ll look at other forums for  productive discussion and not just whining about Leica. 

Mmh, as you are the only one who has posted in this thread, you are the only one who is whining.

Maybe there are not very many jpg-shooters and may be the few have had not enough time to test the new settings. Just a thought.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Personally, I shot only a few jpegs anyway (mostly monochrom), but even then I am not interested in the SOOC quality because I work on them in Lr. I am sure that, given time, there will be some people working on tweaking the settings in order to emulate their favourite film look and feel and may be kind enough to post their settings here on the forum for others to try out as well. I tend to leave those micro-settings at 0 so my starting point in post processing is always the same.

Having said all that, please lighten up Spud, people browse the fora in their spare time which may or may not be enough to get to all the posts. And then, maybe what that other person said (about most shooting RAW) may indeed be the case for this camera. Anyway, just my 2 cents. Take care:)

Since I am shooting RAW, I don't care much about JPEG output. In my experience, every single image can benefit from post processing.

But if you really are into OOC JPEGs, thn don't ask other people how they obtain great JPEGs - great JPEGs according to their taste.

Liberate yourself and try out all the settings and combinations to see if you find something that you like. If you don't, sell the camera and buy one that gives you what you want OOC (hint: You will hardly find one). All of this is so very subjective, there is no right or wrong answer or setting.

Like on my Fuji cameras, I hardly ever use the Film Simulations. There are folks who can't live w/o them. I find them limiting and cumbersome to use. If I really want a Film Simulation look, I can shot in RAW and then apply that Film Simulation in post. But I hardly ever do. Cause I don't like to use preset looks. I want to cerate my own look. It is part of the creative process.

Of course, if you take hundreds of images per shooting, editing each RAW file becomes time consuming. So I do understand folks who use JPEGs for that reason. They all have settings that they apply depending on the scene that output satisfying results. Believe me, they have been testign and trying a lot to get to those settings which give them the best results.

Good luck testing the various JPEG settings.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I used to just shoot RAW and post-processed every photos; nowadays I shoot "JPG (small) +RAW" so that I can share smaller JPG with friends and families easily; and try to do post-process as little as possible, just because it is less work :P

From that perspective, the iDR and new JPG settings are a winner! I am hoping I only need to bust out the RAW post processing for those occasionally tricky shots that I am going to print large.

I have set the new highlight and shadow settings to +2; and have iDR set to AUTO. With those settings, I can't discern the difference in the resulting JPGs between multi-field exposure metering and highlight-weighted metering.. hmmm..

• 2 months later...
On 5/14/2022 at 7:32 PM, LACANYONHIKER said:

I am really happy with the tweaks Leica has made with firmware 4.0, especially the highlight-weighted metering. I mostly shoot raw, and find that I don’t need to do a lot of post processing with the raw files because the colors are so great, but I like to have a flexibility (and small file sizes) of JPEG’s when I’m just walking around town clicking snaps. Have any of you played with the micro settings introduced with the new firmware?

Generally, I have not been happy the colors of the JPEGs in the Q2. What has been your experience using IDR and the new micro settings for film styles? Has anybody had success in improving their JPEG‘s by tweaking the settings?  Have you come up with any good combinations for the different film styles that are giving you different results? 

Hi, I was searching also this kind of feedbacks as I am still a Fuji shooter.

Or at least trying to find some presets for C1 that could simulate Classic Chrome for ex etc ... 

6 hours ago, LCM94 said:

Hi, I was searching also this kind of feedbacks as I am still a Fuji shooter.

Or at least trying to find some presets for C1 that could simulate Classic Chrome for ex etc ... 

I use The Classic Film Styles for C1. Plenty of options, although I always seem to gravitate to Agfa Scala. Works with C1 2022 too

https://theclassicpresets.com/products/classic-film-styles-for-capture-one-2020 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I'd do a quick test of how the various jpeg settings affect the final output, and whether they could really be compared to film simulations, recipes or similar offered by other camera platforms.

I couldn't seem to find a way to jam all the test content into a single post, so threw a page up on my website. I've never done this type of test before so there could be some things I've overlooked. Hope it comes across as intended as well as useful in some ways....

https://phil1066photography.com/photography-projects/leica-q2-jpeg-testing/

On 5/15/2022 at 5:32 AM, LACANYONHIKER said:

I thought I'd do a quick test of how the various jpeg settings affect the final output, and whether they could really be compared to film simulations, recipes or similar offered by other camera platforms.

I couldn't seem to find a way to jam all the test content into a single post, so threw a page up on my website. I've never done this type of test before so there could be some things I've overlooked. Hope it comes across as intended as well as useful in some ways....

https://phil1066photography.com/photography-projects/leica-q2-jpeg-testing/

• Thanks 1

Hi Phil,

thanks this is nice. I find mylself moving towards Vivid with saturation and contrast to +1. Looks like what my favorite look looks like (classic chrome on Fuji or more or less Kodachrome). I mainly shoot raw & jpeg and appreciate having the jpeg look in the ovf.

Edited by LCM94
  • Like 2