Cleaning vintage lens glass

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

(Usual disclaimer) I am sure this has been discussed before but I was unable to find anything…

I have a Summar that has lovely, scratch free glass but it has residue or something that needs cleaning / wiping off.

What’s is the best approach?

I have a filter ready for when it’s clean.

thank you. 

Can you see if it's just on the outside? Summars commonly develop significant internal haze that requires disassembly to clean, which is best left to the professionals unless you are very confident about this sort of thing:

Hi,

Yes it is  - it is the outer surface of the first element. I had thought of posting in that thread but then thought it wasn't a specifically Summar issue more a super soft lens problem...

I could have asked 'how do I remove a finger print from the lens' - it's that kind of blemish.

Thanks!

Hi,

In my experience, the key is to blow any dust/residue before anything else. If not, any wipe or cloth will "take" the dust and scratch the lens when applied.

I use to use Zeiss wet wipes (have I said after blowing dust?) and I use them in a circular way. They dry without leaving marks.

But that's just my experience and having in mind that I don't clean a lot the front element in my lenses because they always have a UV filter on them that is less risky.

Hope it will help,

Augusto