Leica SL Lens "Latency" After FW 4 Update

KenTanaka

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is anyone else experiencing a new shutter lag with their Leica SL lenses after the 4.0 firmware update?  That is, I am seeing a prolonged click-click shutter delay (versus a normal "cl-ick") after the camera and lenses have updated.  Only my Leica SL lenses are affected.  The Sigmas and Lumix are normal?  Normal single-frame still shooting.

Sorry if this has been solved already but I could not find a discussion.

(I am using the SL2.)

So it looks like I have solved this issue.  Although the camera completely restarts itself after the firmware update to seems there may still be issues.  So I completely restarted it manually again.  That is from the menu -> camera -> reset camera.  That eliminated the problem...along with all my preference settings and customizations...which I had just finished re-setting after the firmware update.  But now there is no shutter latency with the Leica SL lenses.   

(Can I just say how maddening it is that this company STILL can't seen to get their software/firmware processes together?  For a system as outrageously expensive as this it's really intolerable.)

• Thanks 1

Full reset doesn't work for me, maybe a slight improvement but still too much lag when chosing an aperture higher than 2.0 on my SL APO 75mm on a SL2 ans as stated Sigma and Panasonic lenses don't have the shutter lag.

15 hours ago, KenTanaka said:

Is anyone else experiencing a new shutter lag with their Leica SL lenses after the 4.0 firmware update?  That is, I am seeing a prolonged click-click shutter delay (versus a normal "cl-ick") after the camera and lenses have updated.  Only my Leica SL lenses are affected.  The Sigmas and Lumix are normal?  Normal single-frame still shooting.

I noticed the same yesterday on my SL2. I thought at first it might be my imagination, but the shutter sound just didn't sound right to me ( too slow) for the rest of the shoot. I am going to try to reset the SL2 to see if that changes anything.

In other v4.0 news, the GPS via FOTOS app and SL2 v4.0 seems to be much more robust and reliable. I tested both indoors and outdoors now and I never lost GPS tagging when either the camera or the iPhone went to sleep. GPS tagging remained constant for about 2.5 hours during use. Looks very promising.

Edit: The reset solved the problem for me. Shutter sound/feel back to normal now with SL lenses. Not the first time a quick reset on my SL2 has solved other nits I've experienced previously. 

Edited by LBJ2
  • Like 1

Just now, KenTanaka said:

Good to hear that at least some other folks have experienced this and solved it with hard restarts.  I suspect that the fact that SL lens firmware was also updated may be the culprit, eh?  

(Perhaps Leica should change the menu option to “Rehab”?)

Thank you for this thread. In the back of my mind I was worried maybe a shutter problem. But didn't have time to address it until I saw your comment and reset suggestion 👍🏻

Same problem here with my SL2-S and Apo 35/50/90. Tried to restart the camera but no improvement. The shutter lag is still there.

It is unbelievable that a software update has been released without proper testing. If they cannot solve this in a reasonable time my Leica gear is for sale.

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Photoworks:

I have noticed a delay. but I just compared 2 cameras SL2 one on FW 3.0 and the other FW4.0

To my surprise is that they are the same..

It only happens in iAF and AFc.

It was always there (at least with my SL2) with every(!) lens using iAF vs. AFs. I even had a model who was quite irritated by this slow click-click noise. The shutter sounds as you're using 1/10 s shutter speed instead of 1/250 s. 😁

Maybe someone here has a reasonable explanation. 😉

Although I didn’t experience this issue, I’m starting to wonder whether the involuntary camera reset after the 24-90 lens firmware update ‘fixed’ the issue before I had a chance to notice. After updating the SL2-S firmware, I proceeded to update the firmware on my various SL lenses but experienced an odd behaviour where the camera also did a factory reset after the 24-90 SL finished updating its firmware. This unexpected reset could very well have resolved the lag issue without me even knowing.

On 5/9/2022 at 7:38 PM, KenTanaka said:

Yes, I experienced the same exact thing on my SL2-S after upgrading to the latest firmware.  The next day the problem went away on it's own (not sure how, and to be honest, I don't give a damn).  I have a feeling it's some kind of regression; they didn't do enough testing before shipping the update.  This is such a B.S.

I was told that resetting and not importing any previous profile settings can fix issues. I usually start over with my profile settings after each update. I then save the profile to an SD card and import into my other SL2. Just another suggestion from someone at Leica. Some odd things things here and there. 

• Thanks 1

I have this problem on my SL2 + 35 APO SL, but not on SL2 + 24-90 SL. I have tried multiple resets including not importing  my old profiles and various restarts. Nothing works. Camera version = 4.0, lens (35 apo sl) Version = 3.0, lens (24-90 sl) Version = 2.2. Below scenarios is tested with 35 apo sl.

GIVEN P/A/S/M, focus M/AFc/AFs/iAF aperature = 2.0,  shutter speed 1/2000s, iso auto/800

WHEN I take a photo

THEN everything works normal

GIVEN P/A/S/M, focus M/AFc/AFs/iAF aperature >= 2.2 and shutter speed 1/2000s, iso auto/800

WHEN i take a photo

THEN shuttter sounds very slow

(Multiple combinations tested as indicated above using / in the scenarios. )

Related to DOF/exposore preview (?) Using the same scenarios above but turning on DOF/Exposure preview, shutter sound is back to normal. As soon I'm back not using DOF/exposure preview the shutter lag/latency is there.

Edited by jesperwahlstedt

Confirming this is an actual thing. Occurs on all of my Summicron L lenses (confirmed on 35, 50, 75 and 90, don't own the 28). when stopped down 2.8 or smaller. Does not occur on any of the Leica SL zooms (I own all 3). It does not occur on my Sigma L mount 100mm.

Briefly have tried all focusing modes as well as in manual, aperture, and shutter priorities, and it seems to be independent of this as well. I did a full reset of the camera after the upgrade. Use camera exclusively in single shot mode...but of course that gives me something else to try. Will update later.

THE NOT MUCH LATER UPDATE: HOLY CRAP THIS IS TERRIBLE. On continuous low or medium speed the blackout in the viewfinder makes the camera almost unusable. Hybrid shutter setting. On continuous high/very high, it functions OK after an initial blackout.

Also, don't waste your time with multiple resets. That does not fix the problem.

Edited by JeffWright