Good price from Summicron 35mm f/2.0 v4

jaydee56

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, I’m looking for a Summicron 35mm King of bokeh lens for my husband as a gift, preferably with a full box.

I understand that its all a hype but he really wanted this for a long time and I want to get it for him since it’s a special occasion. 

I see that the price is somewhere around 3000 for a somewhat mint condition but what would you consider as a good deal with the current price range? I found a local person selling his and asked for 2800 with the hood and box- 

thank you!

• Like 1

Hi Jaydee, I expect others will chime in here with their own views. I own the lens in question and agree that it is an outstanding lens.

I guess the thing to consider is that brand new 35mm asph summicrons are not really all that much more than the prices you've been quoting. However the "king of bokeh" reputation of this lens will just not go away, and therefore I'd expect the price to keep rising.

I use mine for film exclusively, and it may be that the asph versions might be better suited for digital if that's what your husband does. Others will be able to comment more knowledgeably about that. However I think the prices you've quoted seem about right for a mint copy of the version IV 35mm Summicron. If it were me, I'd ensure that it is in mint condition. Another thing to look for is whether it's made in Germany or Canada. As far as I know the performance is identical in either case, however the German copies always seem to attract a premium price and I doubt that this would change. Also, although it might push the price up a bit, I'd advise buying from a store with a stellar reputation, such as Leica Shop Vienna or Tamarkin (I note they have a Canadian version currently in stock) in the USA. There are others and a quick search should reveal who's trusted and who to potentially avoid.

Good luck with your search and please do report back on how it all goes.

Just a general remark: these lenses are old and even if they are in excellent condition it is always wise to have them professionally cleaned and lubricated before use. Be also aware that the focus may be slightly off for use on a digital camera, as they were built for use on film.  Personally I would consider the slightly higher price at a reputable dealer well spent, there is always a risk in buying used gear privately, unless one is fairly expert. Prices around 3000$ For mint examples sound about right to me. 

• Like 1

Within the last year, I paid US $3000 to a US Leica dealer for a Canadian V4, black, in near mint condition.  It had just come back from Weztlar with a fresh CLA.  I would call that "full price" and not a bargain.  But, I'm thrilled with the lens and very glad to own it.

Edited by Danner
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What a great wife! Kudos!

I own this lens and paid $3000 for an excellent (slightly customized) version with caps, hood, and filter (no box). I think $3000 is good for user copy with accessories and expect to pay $3500 for a mint version, complete.

I own several 35s....the v4 is my favorite because of its diminutive size (not its bokeh)

I have no idea of where you reside, but in any case, contact a reputable Leica dealer nearest to you and tel them what you are looking for — this lens, or anything else — and let them find it for you. You may pay a little bit more, but it may well be with it. If you ara looking in Canada, Leica Boutique at Camtecphoto would be such a choice; many other excellent dealers are also availabe

Hi all, thanks so much for your kind words and advice! I live in the US, so looking for USD :) I don't think he is on this forum - he doesn't speak English well, so mostly on other websites. I saved up for a while for this so wanted to get thoughts from the experts!

He does only use film cameras he inherited from his father - mostly m6 these days. 

I will definitely look into Tamarkin - might be better to pay a bit more and have peace of mind. 

• Like 3

In addition to Tamarkin, in the USA, you could contact the Leica Miami store. They operate the red dot forum website and have a YouTube channel and their advice is spot-on. I have no direct experience with them as I am in Canada and am most happy dealing with Camtecphoto in Montreal. They probably have customers in the US too. 

8 hours ago, Jean-Michel said:

In addition to Tamarkin, in the USA, you could contact the Leica Miami store. They operate the red dot forum website and have a YouTube channel and their advice is spot-on. I have no direct experience with them as I am in Canada and am most happy dealing with Camtecphoto in Montreal. They probably have customers in the US too. 

I mentioned Tamarkin only because they had one in stock.  Miami did not… I checked their inventory before posting.  But Josh, who runs the used inventory,  can certainly accept requests to be on the watch.  I called him one Friday back in 2017 to put my name on a watch list for a mint M9 Monochrom.  He called me the following Monday morning to ask if I wanted one that had just come back that day from Germany with a new sensor and full service. I still have it.  

There are other reputable Leica dealers, big and small, that are worth checking. 

Jeff

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/14/2022 at 12:05 AM, Jeff S said:

I mentioned Tamarkin only because they had one in stock.  Miami did not… I checked their inventory before posting.  But Josh, who runs the used inventory,  can certainly accept requests to be on the watch.  I called him one Friday back in 2017 to put my name on a watch list for a mint M9 Monochrom.  He called me the following Monday morning to ask if I wanted one that had just come back that day from Germany with a new sensor and full service. I still have it.  

There are other reputable Leica dealers, big and small, that are worth checking. 

Jeff

I dealt with Josh (Leica Miami) and Dan (Tamarkin). Both were excellent gentlemen to work with.