Luigi's case - craftsmanship par excellence.

dougdarter

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hmm, it's odd that you should say this. I find mine quite quiet, certainly much quieter than my 1DNIIn and 20D.

If you click the link below, you will hear an M7 shutter, followed immediately by the M8 shutter sound. Both were taken under identical circumstances, at equal distance from the microphone. Whilst the M8 sound is certainly longer, it doesn't sound to be much louder

I actually found that link, and played it, when I was thinking about buying the camera. It sounded fine. But of course I didn't know (and still don't) what distance the mics were set at, how loud to turn up my computer, etc. There's no dB scale on the visual, either.

Part of my problem is that I have no frame of reference – haven't owned a previous M series camera, haven't got a second M8 to test against. Maybe next time I'm in a shop I'll do an A-B between my camera and another, though from what others are saying here it doesn't sound like I have a SHOUTY CAMERA so much as they're all a bit louder than we'd perhaps have hoped. On which front, all I can say is what I said before – louder than a D200, way louder than the Canon 10D.

Before I bought, I'd built up in my head a camera that, while louder than previous Ms, was competing with those legendary "whisper quiet" cloth shutters, and so would be louder than that but quieter than everything else, especially SLRs with their flapping mirrors etc. So it was a bit of a bucket-of-cold-water moment to realise that the shutter sound could make people turn their heads (and indeed be sarcastic). (And I do mean the shutter sound, not the cocking motor: it's quite a serious "snap" when it goes off. The motor just prolongs the moment!)

Still, very excited by the idea that Luigi's leather may go some way to softening things, or at least adding a sort of refined Italian gloss to the sound :D Maybe it'll come this week...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The legendary cloth shutters are also not so quiet. They were mainly quiet in comparison to older SLRs, but modern DSLRs are relatively quiet. My 5D was only a little louder than my M8, and in fact more different than quiet. I would really hope that Leica will suspend the entire shutter assembly on some kind of rubber mount the next time. I believe that most of the sound comes not from the impact, but its transmission into the entire housing.

The shutter assembly consists of three components - the shutter itself, the shutter cocking mechanism and the shutter lock, all of which are mounted onto the diecast body directly. The force required to cock the shutter is quite high, so all three components would have to be mounted on a rigid carrier which would then be mounted compliantly onto the body.