Luigi's case - craftsmanship par excellence.

dougdarter

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have conquered my leather fetishism (even though my maternal grandfather was a blacksaddler!) and got myself the Leica neoprene ERC. It protects the camera well, and it looks so grubby that nobody gives it a second look. Better than being pestered by onlookers.

The old man from the Age of the M3 Case

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I also love my leathercase. It makes everything look so old and insignificant. On a recent weddingshoot, the brides father came and asked me if I had seen the photographer. At last weekends wedding one of the guests asked me if she could borrow a film. I really look forward to travelling with this rig in two weeks time.

Every time I see somebody post about Luigi bag, I am one stop closer to ordering.

One question because I always have problem with color name when colors are so close together.

So, could somebody please tell me what this color is (pix from Luigi's page). I am interested in the bright color one in the center.

I am guessing it is the Ralley-brown we are refering to? Is it?

thank you

Hi Tanaka,

Here's Luigis colour chart - it looks to be Cognac Brown.

DeluxeStraps12finishes-01-06warn2ve.jpg

53563d1189666091-luigis-case-craftsmanship-par-excellence-halfbrownblackm8rearallversionsopen.jpg

I also like the leather smell when you look through the viewfinder and the muffled shutter sound.

I've just ordered mine – to fit an M8 with a Leica grip already attached (same price as his "with grip" version). I really wanted it for protection, but I'm thrilled to hear that it muffles the shutter sound as well. I had the humbling experience of shooting yesterday on a film set beside the official stills photographer. He was using a 5D and an older Canon (I think a 10D? Not sure). He said he carried the older body specifically because it was quieter. When I popped off a few shots with my M8 the director looked over and said, con mucho sarcasm, "Guy, d'you think you could get a noisier camera?"

This to someone using a Leica. :eek:

I realise I'm getting OT here, but one of the reasons I went for the M8 was to be unobtrusive, and I'd read that the shutter, while not "whisper quiet", was pretty good. Nonsense. It's louder than my D200, and way louder than the older Canon body this guy was using. Admittedly it sounds very old-fashioned, and that does help put people at their ease, but I'd still rather it was quieter.

So, to try to get back on topic, roll on Luigi's leather case, and I'll try to remember to report back what effect it has on my shutter sound.

I've just ordered mine – to fit an M8 with a Leica grip already attached (same price as his "with grip" version). I really wanted it for protection, but I'm thrilled to hear that it muffles the shutter sound as well. I had the humbling experience of shooting yesterday on a film set beside the official stills photographer. He was using a 5D and an older Canon (I think a 10D? Not sure). He said he carried the older body specifically because it was quieter. When I popped off a few shots with my M8 the director looked over and said, con mucho sarcasm, "Guy, d'you think you could get a noisier camera?"

This to someone using a Leica. :eek:

I realise I'm getting OT here, but one of the reasons I went for the M8 was to be unobtrusive, and I'd read that the shutter, while not "whisper quiet", was pretty good. Nonsense. It's louder than my D200, and way louder than the older Canon body this guy was using. Admittedly it sounds very old-fashioned, and that does help put people at their ease, but I'd still rather it was quieter.

So, to try to get back on topic, roll on Luigi's leather case, and I'll try to remember to report back what effect it has on the sound.

Hmm, it's odd that you should say this. I find mine quite quiet, certainly much quieter than my 1DNIIn and 20D.

If you click the link below, you will hear an M7 shutter, followed immediately by the M8 shutter sound. Both were taken under identical circumstances, at equal distance from the microphone. Whilst the M8 sound is certainly longer, it doesn't sound to be much louder

http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/LeicaM8/Samples/Audio/m7-then-m8.mp3

Here is the visible wave:

wave.gif

Incidentally, you may find this page amusing:)

Shutter Sounds

Sound and image courtesy dp review.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think one of the differences is the nature of the sound. I'd guess that my M8 and 5D are roughly as loud as one another - maybe the M8 is a tad louder - but the sounds are different. The M8 is a more aggresive metalic sound with more higher frequencies present, where as the 5D sound is more muffled. It's the re-cocking of the shutter that makes most of the difference IMHO.

The initial click of the second one sounds way louder than the first one to me, even before the resetting of the shutter.

I've not listened to the two yet, but you can see from the waveforms that the M8 sound as recorded here has a greater amplitude and duration - ignoring the second part of the M8 waveform which is the shutter re-cock.

I've not listened to the two yet, but you can see from the waveforms that the M8 sound as recorded here has a greater amplitude and duration - ignoring the second part of the M8 waveform which is the shutter re-cock.

Hi Steve,

The waveform does seem to indivate that the M8 is slightly louder, and definitely longer. I wonder how different it would look however, if the manual re-cocking of the M7's shutter curtain was included?? Interesting..............?

Hi Steve,

The waveform does seem to indivate that the M8 is slightly louder, and definitely longer. I wonder how different it would look however, if the manual re-cocking of the M7's shutter curtain was included?? Interesting..............?

That's an excellent point. Who doesn't immediately put thumb to film advance lever after a shot? Of course, it is optional on an M7/RD-1s/etc...

my 5d sounded quieter to me too, but I agree that it may be the more drawn out/longer sound the M8 makes that makes it seem louder.

I think one of the differences is the nature of the sound. I'd guess that my M8 and 5D are roughly as loud as one another - maybe the M8 is a tad louder - but the sounds are different. The M8 is a more aggresive metalic sound with more higher frequencies present, where as the 5D sound is more muffled. It's the re-cocking of the shutter that makes most of the difference IMHO.

how does it feel compared to no no leather case but with a grip? I bought a grip for my M8 and it feels much easier to hold, but would rather get rid of the grip and buy one of his cases (your style, not the grip version). I love the way they look but also love not worrying about the camera falling out of my hands....

Hi,

Having read the thread on 'Grips' from last week, I decided that I would buy a Luigi half case in the 'aged brown' colour. I ordered it on Monday afternoon, and it arrived in the UK this morning.

It is, quite simply, a tour-de-force of leather craftsmanship. It is beautifully made, and the quality of materials is superb. The design and implementation of the 'hanging hatch' is perfect, and it works well.

Despite not being the 'full grip' version, it makes the camera much, much easier to grip.

[