In-camera M11 Monochrome JPEGs

hdmesa

11 minutes ago, Ktsa5239 said:

Has firmware 1.4 fixed this vignetting issue? I haven’t got a chance to test it yet

No, I can confirm the issue is still there. It was only just yesterday that my DNG samples were forwarded to Product Management to review (at their request based on the initial JPEGs I sent).

this is my lenses in DMG generated preview without lens corrections and the camera JPG.

21 SEM

28 5.6 no coding

34 FLE

50 Lux

50 0.95

50 0.95 at f2

90 2.4

135 2.8  no coding

they still look different in 1.4

PS. the light is from the side so the wall is darken on the right

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Photoworks said:

this is my lenses in DMG generated preview without lens corrections and the camera JPG.

21 SEM

28 5.6 no coding

34 FLE

50 Lux

50 0.95

50 0.95 at f2

90 2.4

135 2.8  no coding

they still look different in 1.4

PS. the light is from the side so the wall is darken on the right

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Some of those look pretty bad as JPEGs, same as what I'm seeing. Watching that keyhole effect on the LCD in Live View can be really distracting (since as the camera moves around, so does the effect).

• 2 weeks later...

Workaround I found to reduce the JPEG vignetting "keyhole" effect shown in this thread:

• Edit every in-camera film style and reduce the Contrast setting to -2

Note: After setting contrast to -2, of the two B&W in-camera film styles, it's ironically the High Contrast film style that is least likely to show the issue. For color, the Natural setting is least likely to show the issue.

At the risk of asking a stupid question here, is the image rendered by live view (for display on the EVF and/or rear screen) processed by the camera in the same manner as the in camera JPGs? Which explains why you are seeing this phenomenon in real time while moving around the camera?

Good luck on solving this issue and congratulations on identifying it and articulating it.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, geddon_jt said:

At the risk of asking a stupid question here, is the image rendered by live view (for display on the EVF and/or rear screen) processed by the camera in the same manner as the in camera JPGs? Which explains why you are seeing this phenomenon in real time while moving around the camera?

Good luck on solving this issue and congratulations on identifying it and articulating it.

Thanks. Yes, the JPEG engine also drives the video feed for Live View.

9 minutes ago, Mikeal said:

Sounds like the simple Leica M isn’t so simple anymore. Makes me wonder if they should make Leica Ms more complicated or leave that for their mirrorless cameras. IMO, we shouldn’t be talking about video feeds and live view when we talk about a Leica M. Just sounds weird. My M10R is already pushing it. I wouldn’t want any more complications. 

That's literally how every mirrorless camera works, though. Whatever you have set for your JPEG film simulation is what you see in the EVF or on the LCD.

15 minutes ago, Mikeal said:

Sounds like the simple Leica M isn’t so simple anymore. Makes me wonder if they should make Leica Ms more complicated or leave that for their mirrorless cameras. IMO, we shouldn’t be talking about video feeds and live view when we talk about a Leica M. Just sounds weird. My M10R is already pushing it. I wouldn’t want any more complications. 

If you are saying that live view is making Leica M too complicated, than the M10-D would have been for you.

30 minutes ago, Mikeal said:

In the 50’s he had one (I don’t know he had a particular favorite Leica. He liked Leica’s in general) and subsequently got whatever new M was available at the time. His “favorite” Leica was whatever Leica he was shooting at the time, which was the latest one. 

The Leica’s he doesn’t use are digital. He likes film. 

Here is a recent interview.

He says that the M3 is still his personal and favorite camera.

• 1 month later...

Leica has fixed this in a firmware update released today. Just tested the M11 Monochrom HC film style with the CV 50 f/1 at f/1 and Summaron 28 at f/5.6, and looks like it indeed has been fixed. Wonderful! Thank you, Leica!

This fix should also increase metering accuracy when using affected lenses wide open. Any lens with heavy vignetting runs the risk of overexposing the center of the frame, and this issue was amplifying the vignetting.

To reiterate what was discussed previously, this affected more than those who only shoot JPEG. The JPEG engine –> and therefore the film simulation selected in camera <– drives the image displayed on the LCD/EVF, which in turn is used for the histogram and off-sensor metering. Even if using the rangefinder, the meter would have been using the faulty tone curve image data. The film simulation is also what is used to create the embedded JPEG preview in the DNG files, so even with JPEG turned off in the camera, it affected the image seen in the EVF/LCD when reviewing the DNGs. This negatively affected the experience of using the camera for me because the images when previewed on the LCD/EVF could be quite ugly 🥴

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...