MP film counter reset

3 hours ago, fotojobo said:

I just noticed the frame counter on my Leica MP will not reset to zero. I've owned it for over 10 years and have several hundred rolls shot. I guess nothing is infallible, even the MP.

Refer to post #17 for a full explanation.

If you take the baseplate off a little tab should protrude just near to the chamber that you wind the film into. When you have the baseplate on it pushes this tab up and allows the film counter to reset and start counting again. It seems it can get stuck, so just push the tab up and down with your finger to see if it frees up.

• 1 month later...
On 2/5/2023 at 4:46 PM, 250swb said:

Refer to post #17 for a full explanation.

If you take the baseplate off a little tab should protrude just near to the chamber that you wind the film into. When you have the baseplate on it pushes this tab up and allows the film counter to reset and start counting again. It seems it can get stuck, so just push the tab up and down with your finger to see if it frees up.

Thank you for this. I examined my camera. I dont think its a reset problem. Rather the counter wont advance. I read somewhere that there's a plastic sprocket wheel in the mechanism that is probably broken.

Am 6.3.2023 um 04:18 schrieb fotojobo:

Thank you for this. I examined my camera. I dont think its a reset problem. Rather the counter wont advance. I read somewhere that there's a plastic sprocket wheel in the mechanism that is probably broken.

Hi there, i think i do have the same problem. funny, my mp is from fall 22 and was a few weeks ago in wetzlar for cla (and to check if the spool works fine)

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, FilmSpiel said:

BTW. if i wouldnt still be in guarantee, the costs would have been 890 €.....

I must admit I find these ludicrous repair costs quite off-putting. I'd like to think I will always have a Leica M to hand (and pray that it doesn't break any time soon😂) but I no longer look at the brand as one I want to be heavily invested in going forward. That €890 repair bill is enough to buy a perfectly good camera (albeit not a film one from one of the most desirable brands).

Edited by wattsy

8 hours ago, FilmSpiel said:

Hello again,

the MP was send to Leica headquarter to check my problem with the camera. They found the problem, and repaired it for free. right now, it works properly 🙂

BTW. if i wouldnt still be in guarantee, the costs would have been 890 €.....

That 890 EUR bill would be 200 anywhere else.  For future reference.