MP Coverings

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello 

I've recently purchased an MP which was originally from the A La Cate program, it has a leather (or perhaps very-convincing leatherette) covering which I find really nice.  I believe this was an A La Carte option at the time.  But I'm also aware that the 'standard' MP cover changed a some point in the production history and is now also a leatherette look .

So I'm curious as to whether the current MP standard production cover is the same as the one that was previously offered via A La Carte, and on this camera. Or whether the A La Carte offering was different.   My MP one is different (and more 'leather-like') than my leatherette M10-D, for example. 

I'd actually be keen to change my M10-D to the same or similar cover to what I have on my MP if anyone can identify what it is termed in Leica-world, or whether a 3rd party offer something similar.  

I was thinking the shrunken calf leather covers advertised by Arte Di Mano look similar (but I'm only going off website images of course).

It has turned out to be one of my (many) favourite things about this camera so I thought I'd ask more Q's about it and whether it matches the current standard-issue - in which case it may be available for other cameras I assume :D

Thanks !

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 2

Looks like your mp has the m7 leatherette, which is different from the current mp leatherette. To me the current leatherette feels more leathery but it also feels flatter (which I personally do not prefer). 
I'm not sure if the old m7 style leatherette is still available at Leica...

• Thanks 1

There were a multitude of coverings available for the MP a-la-carte program.  I got the 0.85 in chrome with the M240 style faux-leather (my modern M3) and the 0.58 in black paint with the sandpaper grip.  In reality, my favorite is the sandpaper grit because it just holds no mater how wet or damp things are.  I do like the leather on the M10-D, but I’m sure it will eventually wear..  The M7 wrap reminds me of the M6’s.  Nice pair!

• Thanks 1

On 5/8/2022 at 8:34 AM, grahamc said:

Hello 

I've recently purchased an MP which was originally from the A La Cate program, it has a leather (or perhaps very-convincing leatherette) covering which I find really nice.  I believe this was an A La Carte option at the time.  But I'm also aware that the 'standard' MP cover changed a some point in the production history and is now also a leatherette look .

So I'm curious as to whether the current MP standard production cover is the same as the one that was previously offered via A La Carte, and on this camera. Or whether the A La Carte offering was different.   My MP one is different (and more 'leather-like') than my leatherette M10-D, for example. 

I'd actually be keen to change my M10-D to the same or similar cover to what I have on my MP if anyone can identify what it is termed in Leica-world, or whether a 3rd party offer something similar.  

I was thinking the shrunken calf leather covers advertised by Arte Di Mano look similar (but I'm only going off website images of course).

It has turned out to be one of my (many) favourite things about this camera so I thought I'd ask more Q's about it and whether it matches the current standard-issue - in which case it may be available for other cameras I assume :D

Thanks !

The m10-D as far as i know, use the original cowhide leather not flux leatherette as found in todays productions of normal M10 

the leatherette used in you MP seemed similar to the M6 line up i think and makes sense if it is from alacarte program

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 5/7/2022 at 6:34 PM, grahamc said:

Hello 

Thanks !

Hello Graham

My MP is also a là carte and is covered in a pebbled leather that looks very similar to the M10-D.

Erik

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, egrossman said:

Hello Graham

My MP is also a là carte and is covered in a pebbled leather that looks very similar to the M10-D.

Erik

Interesting thanks.  Great combination 👍😁

• Haha 1

I always wanted the shark-skin leatherette that the MP came in for awhile. Then sometime mid-2020, due to the air bubbles the shark-skin leatherette would create, they changed it to this one. I think my camera was the first of that production (Sept 2020). I don't think it has changed since, whatever this leatherette is.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, maxfairclough said:

I always wanted the shark-skin leatherette that the MP came in for awhile. Then sometime mid-2020, due to the air bubbles the shark-skin leatherette would create, they changed it to this one.

Air bubbles?   First I've heard of it.  Mine doesn't have it, and I've never seen one with it.  Does anyone here have a sharkskin MP w/ air bubbles?

3 hours ago, Huss said:

Air bubbles?   First I've heard of it.  Mine doesn't have it, and I've never seen one with it.  Does anyone here have a sharkskin MP w/ air bubbles?

No air bubbles on my 2002 vintage MP, never seen them and never heard of the 'problem' either. 

I could imagine how applying the sharkskin leatherette would take more care and attention so as not to show up lumps and bubbles at the manufacturing stage, so maybe Leica decided to disguise lumps and bumps with a heavily textured finish? 

I purchase my MP a la carte, 10360 new in 2019. Which leatherette is my MP?

Edited by LeicaFan1
  • Like 2

On 6/27/2022 at 1:27 PM, Huss said:

@250swb@Huss it was an issue with the 2019 production line of MP. That batch also had backplate issues where a lot of the bodies also being sent out were scratching the negatives. It was common during that year. I ordered mine in 2020 and had it in September, and I remember being nervous about my camera. However my camera was the first to confirm Leica had changed the leatherette from sharksin to whatever it is now. We all assumed the change was because of the bubbling etc. 

The deeper you go in that thread, the more experiences of this is.

You can read others experiences here. 

• Like 1