Leica Q2 Monochrom and my child's cancer

Jimbbobb

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 5/11/2022 at 9:11 PM, Franka373 said:

This speaks volumes.  Wrapped in a medical device and so what because I have a game to play. We should all learn to focus on the good.  Great shot. 

Thank you. Yes I completely agree. It's always so lovely to see her being able to just 'be'.

Emily having fun!! This was on a rare trip away. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 14

Jamie, it's difficult to find the right words. I'm so sorry to hear about what Emily, you, and your family are going through. You have a beautiful eye and capture so well the precious moments in her life. As you inferred, Emily seems to be the calmest person in the room. It's great to see her smile and be a kid. It has to be incredibly hard on you to go through this and to take these photos but I know you will cherish these images forever. And yes, I think you are spot on with your use of black and white. All the best. Steve

• Like 1

On 5/18/2022 at 6:20 PM, Steve Miller said:

Jamie, it's difficult to find the right words. I'm so sorry to hear about what Emily, you, and your family are going through. You have a beautiful eye and capture so well the precious moments in her life. As you inferred, Emily seems to be the calmest person in the room. It's great to see her smile and be a kid. It has to be incredibly hard on you to go through this and to take these photos but I know you will cherish these images forever. And yes, I think you are spot on with your use of black and white. All the best. Steve

Hi Steve, sorry it's taken me a little while to get back to you. Thank you so so much for your message. It meant a lot. Take care. 

I'm not much of a 'macro' photographer but I really enjoy having that option on the Monochrom. It's really nice to pay attention and look for things that might normally be just be missed.

• Like 2

An ice cream can never be beaten whatever the circumstances!!

• Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I decided to take the Leica on a trip to hospital recently. This was taken during one of our early morning prearranged ambulance rides for treatment...

• Like 6

It's difficult to imagine going through anything more painful than watching your young child fight a serious illness like cancer. I really admire the way you're dealing with it. The images are powerful and beautiful beyond words, as is Emily. For several years I did volunteer photography for an organization called Flashes Of Hope, which involved going into the cancer ward of our local children's hospital to do portraits of kids fighting cancer. Sometimes it was just the kids, other times with parents and siblings. The impact on the lives of everyone in those situations was quite apparent, but what really struck me was the amazing courage displayed by the kids. I often walked out of the hospital after those shoots fighting back tears. My thoughts are with you and Emily and I hope there's a good ending to your story. 

Edited by fotografr

On 5/30/2022 at 5:01 PM, fotografr said:

It's difficult to imagine going through anything more painful than watching your young child fight a serious illness like cancer. I really admire the way you're dealing with it. The images are powerful and beautiful beyond words, as is Emily. For several years I did volunteer photography for an organization called Flashes Of Hope, which involved going into the cancer ward of our local children's hospital to do portraits of kids fighting cancer. Sometimes it was just the kids, other times with parents and siblings. The impact on the lives of everyone in those situations was quite apparent, but what really struck me was the amazing courage displayed by the kids. I often walked out of the hospital after those shoots fighting back tears. My thoughts are with you and Emily and I hope there's a good ending to your story. 

Sorry that it has taken me awhile to get back to you. Thank you so much for those incredibly generous and thoughtful words. That charity work that you did with 'Flashes of hope' sounds so inspiring. What a lovely idea. Those families, I'm sure,  will have been very touched by your work.

I know what you mean about the children. I have to say the children I have met on the wards are simply remarkable and brave beyond comprehension. 

Sometimes I look at Emily when she's looking well and still after all this time can't believe there's anything wrong with her, let alone anything as serious as this. 

Thank you again.

• Like 1

This little thing is a temperature dot. Anyone who knows cancer will tell you temperatures are the thing we are all wary of. Anything over 38 degrees and it's an automatic stay in hospital. These little things get placed under Emily's arm and left for a couple of minutes. It's, slightly, less intrusive than a nurse holding a temperature pen under the arm for a length of time. They are also supposed to be very accurate. 

Just an excuse for more macro I suppose...

• Like 2

Am 10.5.2022 um 20:41 schrieb Jimbbobb:

I find this particular image challenging. She seems wise and calm beyond her years here and she is. I still have to remind myself that she's been going through this since she was 5 weeks old. I still can't actually believe it but photographs like this make the experience crystal clear.

The medical team always comment on her calmness and stoicism.

Emily is a teacher.

What a powerful girl! My very best wishes to you!!!!! 

• Like 1