Rangefinder Focus Issue

tedwill

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This may not be a flaw in the system, but something I'm missing.  I'm noticing on occasion, with the M11, whether I'm using the 35 Summilux or the 90 APO Summicron, that the focus patch turns a light reddish orange color and no longer allows me to pull focus through the viewfinder.  The focus patch is one solid rectangle.   The live view works fine.  In order to get the focus patch to work again, I have to turn the camera off to get it to show a clear focus patch that I bring together to create a sharp focus.  I've only been shooting with the M series camera system for under a year.  I primarily shoot with an SL2, but I'm learning the rangefinder slowly but surely.  

The orange focus patch in the viewfinder was problematic when shooting outdoors on a recent trip.  I searched the documentation but didn't find an answer.  Is there a setting I missed?  I'm sure this is a user error, but I'd appreciate any help on this.

Thanks,

-Ted

11 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Hello Ted,

just in case, would you please take a pic of the "reddish orange patch".

Or, ...if it's not one finger hiding the RF window.

It’s a wonder I can walk by myself and not fall on my face. That’s what the problem was. Thank you so much for pointing this out - I feel educated and foolish at the same time. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

15 hours ago, tedwill said:

I've only been shooting with the M series camera system for under a year.

Happens to almost all M users in the beginning. ;)

A variation is a random-colored (or even black) focus patch - due to an oversized mitten or glove in the wintertime, on the shutter hand.

Even with untabbed teles like the 90 APO - do not grab hold of the whole lens like a beer can (SLR-style). Keep the left hand below the lens, and focus with just the thumb and index-finger on the bottom side.

http://www.tamarkin.com/how-choose-leica-m-lenses

17 minutes ago, adan said:

do not grab hold of the whole lens like a beer can

I got a new Q2 two days ago and was out shooting with it yesterday. Just trying to work out the most comfortable way to hold it.......
I've been handling cameras since I was 9.😬

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

Doesn’t catch me out anymore… because I know what it is, but I seem incapable of focusing an M in portrait orientation without at some point blocking the little window… 😅 (yeah I should just focus in landscape position then rotate the camera)

I also have long hair, ask me how times I’ve reviewed photos on the computer and said ‘WTF is that at the top of the frame?” upon noticing a strange artefact.. and the answer is my own hair 🙄

I quit years ago, but cigarette smoke ruins photos (as well as lungs), can’t believe it took ruining photos to figure out not to smoke and shoot!