Leica MP with 18mm Super-Elmar-M

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, new poster here.

I'm considering to get 18mm SEM  to be used with Leica MP. However I haven't see any photo or user that post images with the 18 SEM and Leica film cameras. Can you help me with some sample image of the lens when using film? Is there any reservation or things that I need to watch for as film shooter when suing the said lens?

I know that I like the focal length and I will likely use the 24mm finder that I have (as an approximation) or buy the 18mm finder.

Thank you for your kind help and guidance.

Don't worry. The only difference that you will see is the difference between a sensor and film. The lens performs equally well on either. I find the Zeiss viewfinder preferable.

34 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Don't worry. The only difference that you will see is the difference between a sensor and film. The lens performs equally well on either. I find the Zeiss viewfinder preferable.

Thanks for the reply Jaap. Are you willing to elaborate why you would prefer the Zeiss one vs the Leica one? 

I'm in SEA so a BNIB Zeiss finder (after tax, custom and other ripoff) costs the same as the used Leica finder 

Much more bright and better view. Slightly cheaper (especially used) for higher quality. 

If you can find one, you can consider the Zeiss ZM 18 mm as well. Different, more contrasty rendering, slightly more vignetting, but higher resolution. Basically a matter of taste.

8 hours ago, Sixfeetunder said:

Hi everyone,

I'm considering to get 18mm SEM  to be used with Leica MP. However I haven't see any photo or user that post images with the 18 SEM and Leica film cameras. Can you help me with some sample image of the lens when using film? Is there any reservation or things that I need to watch for as film shooter when suing the said lens?

I know that I like the focal length and I will likely use the 24mm finder that I have (as an approximation) or buy the 18mm finder.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/253730-your-ultra-wide-angle-uwa-pictures-10mm-to-21mm

You can find 18mm photos in this thread. 

I might be able to help a little. I shoot a few different wides (24/21/16/15) and use film exclusively. 

Regarding the finder. I've read from a few that the Zeiss finders are hotshoe clocked for the Bessa (sure, "Zeiss") bodies. Meaning the Cosina bodies lens/ hotshoe orientation. A modern M external finder is clocked for an M. I mention this if extreme accuracy is a concern for you. 

Following that last bit about accuracy, the parallax error when framing with a strong foreground subject (less than a meter) is significant. The only finder that will properly compensate for it is the Frankenfinder or UWA Finder or whatever it's called. The one that was released alongside the WATE. It's a big, bold choice but by all accounts it's the supreme finder for ultrawides on an M. I was hell bent on getting one until I realized I was happier not using the finder at all and framing very close subjects by feel. 

Hope this is helpful in some way. 

Edited by Andy_Shields
Bad autocorrect
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 5/6/2022 at 6:58 AM, Sixfeetunder said:

Hi everyone,

Get the 18mm finder.  The 24mm is no where near close - even if you approximate outside the frame lines.  I use the Zeiss 18 as it only has one set of frame lines while the Leica has 18 and 24 which clutters things up.  I also find  the Zeiss finder to be brighter.

On 5/6/2022 at 10:58 AM, Sixfeetunder said:

Hi everyone,

Hello, I had the 18 mm Super Elmar and shot a roll with an analog MD and Leica 18 mm finder . 
With Velvia 50

Quite an enjoyable set up !

Best, JM

• Like 3

On 5/17/2022 at 2:37 PM, JMF said:

Hello, I had the 18 mm Super Elmar and shot a roll with an analog MD and Leica 18 mm finder . 
With Velvia 50

Quite an enjoyable set up !

Best, JM

Excellent pics!

• Thanks 1