Rain protection for Q2 and M10?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

HUI all

I'm off to Iceland soon with my Q2 and M10. Looks like there'll be a lot of rain. I've used both cameras in the rain occasionally, but am now wondering about some kind of waterproof cover. I know they are fiddly and hard to use, but are  they worth the hassle? If so, any recommendations for Lecia bodies?

Thanks

I went to Iceland with a M240 and no rain protection. In fact we did not have much rain, but quite a lot of spray and mist near the various waterfalls! 
Together with the Apo-Summicron-M 90 it got fairly wet for a short time near Dettifoss, but I dried it by hand and had no problems.

I would not worry about the Q2. I agree that a shower cap is the most convenient solution for the M10.

I would see at Adorama, B+H (if you have one near) or Amazon if they have any of this watertight bags who fit your cameras.

Some of them have a glass port where the lens sit like THIS ONES at Adorama

But you should bring the cameras to check the size and fit

Otherwise a Umbrella?

Chris

Edited by PhotoCruiser

I've had extensive experience using rain covers with larger cameras.  My experience is that they often cause more trouble than they prevent, as water gathers and pools in the folds of the cover and is trapped next to the camera.  I just use my canons without a rain cover, and bring a towel to periodically dry them off.  

What I would suggest is a somewhat waterproof carrying bag like a billingham, with a top flap and a zipper, and carrying a towel to dry the camera when it gets wet.  The Q2 is pretty much waterproof, so you won't have any trouble there.

For the M10, I would not bring it out if it is really raining, and if it is just drizzling or something, keep it in the bag, and pull it out when you are shooting, drying it with the towel before you put it back.  It's not waterproof and neither are the lenses.  If you put it in a plastic bag and water gets in, then you basically have your camera floating around in a bag full of water.

• Thanks 1