Electronic Shutter Readout & Hand Shake (dumb question no. 1)

AndrewLT

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, J12 said:

I find it possible to mitigate banding with the electronic shutter on cameras like the SL and TL2. Though sometimes this can require resorting to slower shutter speeds. The general rule is to set shutter speeds in correlation with the cycles of the power grid in your country or region. 50hz or 60hz.

There’s a good explanation on the workings of both mechanical and electronic shutters here:

https://johnplatt.com.au/electronic-shutters-banding-rolling-shutter-explained/

The unique benefit of an M camera with electronic shutter function would be the ability to use it with either the OVF (rangefinder) or Visoflex EVF attachment.

I often shoot in situations where absolute silence is required. Electronic shutter functionality is of great importance when considering a new digital camera.

Unfortunately the very slow readout speed of the sensor in the M11 makes the electronic shutter function impractical for many situations.

As good as EVFs can be, there are times when I’d prefer to use an OVF / rangefinder. Looking through an EVF for extended periods all day can also result in considerable vision fatigue. Use of the electronic shutter with OVF would provide welcome eye relief.

I do not have my M11 at hand, but, AFAIK, you can use the electronic shutter with either OVF (rangefinder) or EVF/LCD.

23 hours ago, SrMi said:

I do not have my M11 at hand, but, AFAIK, you can use the electronic shutter with either OVF (rangefinder) or EVF/LCD.

Thanks. I’m sure you probably can. Unfortunately the slow readout speed of 1/10 sec means warped images for moving subjects. The distortion that results can make faces look very weird even if your subject only moves slightly or slowly.

Use of the electronic shutter with either EVF or OVF / rangefinder is a function I would love to have. Though, the readout speed of the sensor needs to be faster to make it usable in a greater variety of situations. It's too limited in practical use otherwise. 

Looks like Sony will be addressing the slow readout speed of their 60mp sensor (1/15 sec.) with an updated sensor for the A7R5 that is twice as fast (1/30 sec.). It would be nice to see a Leica version of this faster sensor tech, perhaps for the M11-R.

https://photorumors.com/2022/05/19/sony-a7r-v-camera-full-specification-leaked-ilce-7rm5/

I'd still rather see something like the faster, stacked A1 sensor make its way into the SL and M platforms.

Edited by hdmesa

5 hours ago, hdmesa said:

Looks like Sony will be addressing the slow readout speed of their 60mp sensor (1/15 sec.) with an updated sensor for the A7R5 that is twice as fast (1/30 sec.). It would be nice to see a Leica version of this faster sensor tech, perhaps for the M11-R.

https://photorumors.com/2022/05/19/sony-a7r-v-camera-full-specification-leaked-ilce-7rm5/

I'd still rather see something like the faster, stacked A1 sensor make its way into the SL and M platforms.

AFAIK, The readout speed of M11 and a7rIV is 1/10 sec in 14 bits mode. Leica could add a 12- bit mode that would double the readout speed, though 1/20 sec is still too slow.

14 bits are not necessary for higher ISOs (noise).

• Thanks 1