SL2 m-mount lens settings for Voigtlander

NightPix

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently purchased some new Voigtlander lenses (Ultron VM 21 f/3.5, 28 f/2, 35 f/2) for use on my SL2 when I am going to be someplace where I don’t want to risk my Leica m glass. Because these lenses are not detected by the SL2, I’m wondering what lens profile settings to use (if any) on the SL2. I’ve tried turning lens profiles off in the camera settings, but sometimes the Lightroom Classic profiles in post were not as good as using the closest Leica m profile in the SL2. Maybe someone has already figured this out, or should I just resign myself to more experimentation. Any help will be appreciated. 

I don't know what best practice is, but with my Voigtlander lenses I just set the lens profile to the closest Leica lens like you do.  Possibly experimentation would produce slightly better results, but my lenses are 35 and 50mm so not much correction to worry about.  I use the LensTagger plugin in Lightroom to edit the EXIF data to show the Voigtlander lens data.

• Like 2

You only get a lens correction EXIF data on 6Bit coded lenses from Leica. Distortion, Vignetting, Color cast...

You can set the lens to any close setting from M or R lenses. No setting will be recorded but you get the benefit of IBIS activation, and Auto ISO works again , for this two functions the camera need to know what lens is on it. This is the same if you use other adapters and the lens is not detected.

I suggest you make a short list of lenses you use for quicker selection.

1 hour ago, Photoworks said:

You only get a lens correction EXIF data on 6Bit coded lenses from Leica. Distortion, Vignetting, Color cast...

You can set the lens to any close setting from M or R lenses. No setting will be recorded but you get the benefit of IBIS activation, and Auto ISO works again , for this two functions the camera need to know what lens is on it. This is the same if you use other adapters and the lens is not detected.

I suggest you make a short list of lenses you use for quicker selection.

I'm not sure about whether or not corrections are applied with non-6bit coded lenses, but this is not entirely correct as EXIF information is for sure entered in the file if you manually select a lens.

For my Voigtlander Ultron II 28 and Zeiss Distagon 35 I just use the closest Leica profiles (Summicron 28 and Summilux 35) and haven't noticed anything egregious such as reverse vignette correction or additional distortion.

25 minutes ago, matted said:

I'm not sure about whether or not corrections are applied with non-6bit coded lenses, but this is not entirely correct as EXIF information is for sure entered in the file if you manually select a lens.

If Photoworks is using a third party M-to L-mount adapter I think both of you are correct.   I use the Leica M-Mount adapter on my SL and it works as you describe with non-coded lenses.  I use a Metabones F-Mount to L-Mount adapter for my Nikon MF primes and it works as Photoworks describes.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

20 hours ago, matted said:

It's safer to use the closest R focal length. R lenses don't need software correction because they aren't rangefinder lenses.

47 minutes ago, BernardC said:

It's safer to use the closest R focal length. R lenses don't need software correction because they aren't rangefinder lenses.

Don't you need either the 6-bit coded R-->M adaptor or the Leica R-->L adaptor to gain access to the R mount lens choices? My list only has M mount lenses AFAIK.

1 hour ago, BernardC said:

R lenses do not get in-camera corrections. The reason to choose M lens equivalent would be to take advantage of in-camera correction for the closest Leica equivalent. Rangefinder lenses, especially on the wide angle side and older designs, tend to require more in-camera corrections due to the nature of the optical designs.

6 hours ago, matted said:

Don't you need either the 6-bit coded R-->M adaptor or the Leica R-->L adaptor to gain access to the R mount lens choices? My list only has M mount lenses AFAIK.

if you are using the Leica 6bit M to L adapter the suggested lens are only M.

Just cover the contact of the adapter with thin tape and the SL camera doesn't know what hit them. Now all R lenses are avalable.

Or just use an adapter that does not have contacts.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

The depends. With the official adapter you will have the full magnification functionality and if you code the lens the focal length will appear in EXIF ( but a Leica lens identification). If you can live without these perks you can get, for instance, the Novoflex adapter. 

On 9/21/2023 at 9:29 AM, SAM72 said:

Hello,

I want to purchase a Voigtländer 28mm F2 Ultron for my SL2.

Do I need the expensive Leica M-adapter L or can I get away with a cheaper 3-rd party option?

Thank you,
SAM

Since you don't use a Leica lens, the adapter is irrelevant, but get one that is well-made.
I use adapters with few Leica and non leica lenses, I like the Close Focus Adapter from 7artisans, you can turn it to set your infinity focus and work quicker.
Don't forget to set your focal length in the camera so that you have IBIS activated.
The ultron II is an excellent lens.

• Like 1