My M10-R problems with auto-lens detection

Alberti

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Generally auto-lens detection works OK.

But, I have an uncoded black Summilux. I selected the corresponding profile. But after I used a coded lens, and put on the Lux again, all at once it was coded as WATE. It should resort to the Lux. Disaster: purple corner, barrel distortion created on the image. I can't properly get rid of those artefacts.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

In LR I can manually correct the barrel to some extent. The purple - like an M8 picture - is harder.

I have the auto-selected in the camera. It should resort to the last selected lens.

My previous real WATE-code  picture (a 15mm Heliar) was 380 pictures back. Where does the WATE come from then?

I had a fake-WATE: when I attach 35mm LTM, on a LTM-M adapter coded for 35mm/F2, then it says indeed, Summicron 35/2. However, when I do not turn the adapter far enough (the adapter is an American, hand made one, brass, from one of the pioneers, is a bit hard to turn)  I get the WATE (what it reads from 5 of 6 bits). And after i see that, and really turning the lens clockwise fully home, it is OK, showing 2/35 in the Info screen. Pictures show that too.

Then if I  put on the uncoded Summilux again - it reverts to WATE. Not the last manually selected lens - 50/1.4. The manual selection menu reads the WATE (ie 4/16..). I never touched the menu. It should resort back to 50/1.4.

Putting the menu selection again to 50/1.4, changing the lens to a coded Summicron 50, it reads 50/2. Re-attaching the Lux give 50/1.4. So it works, but sometimes it goes awry.

What should I have done? Where am I going wrong? [You know, I do not look up INFO after changing lenses. Who does?]

------

here an other example of the Lux after a correctly coded lens, showing awful distortion in the corners:

Edited by Alberti

I notice by deselecting 'apply corrections profile' in LRc, the distortion disappears. I made a virtual copy, went to the imported file, and in the Lens menu I changed the tacked box.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Is it then Lightroom-classic that creates the distortion in the first place?

yes, that's it. (for 90%, there still is some left) but the purple haze is now largely gone.

-----

Checked in LR-6.14. There the lens profile is OFF in default. Clicking the box to turn the lensprofile on does not change the structure of the picture, but it does show the fake wate. No colour cast in the corners appears though in 6.14.

Edited by Alberti

Looked into this further: does the erratic behaviour come because I had 'Select Manual' and  not  'AUTO' selected?

that is what it looks like,

normal returning to 50/1.4 when AUTO is selected. I did it several times with several coded 35mm lenses. Returned the Lux and it is correct.

OK, learning curve out in the open. Hope someone else benefits.

Next I have to find out how to restrict LRc in its enthusiasm. . .

Edited by Alberti
  • Thanks 1