Captain John Peters' Leica II

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When looking online for something completely different recently, I came across this curiosity:  a chrome Leica II with early serial number and a nickel 50mm f/2.5 Hektor lens with no serial number. As my small collection lacked a Hektor and the combination was offered by a respected North Wales dealer at a reasonable price, I took the plunge. When it arrived, closer inspection and a bit of online research revealed that this camera has an intriguing history.

This is an early Leica II with larger shutter speed dial and ‘lavatory seat’ top plate. The serial number – 96568 – records that the camera was originally black with nickel fittings and dates from 1932. It carries a small metal dealer’s label from ‘Optik-Photo Messter Berlin’ with a vulcanite repair below that. At some point in its life the camera has had the black paint and nickel plating removed. It’s been done very well, so well in fact that I first thought the top and bottom plates and the knobs had been replaced with new chrome ones. Close inspection, however, reveals some fine sanding marks and a few small traces of black paint, plus some wear to the engraving, but overall it’s been very well done. Confirmation of the original nickel fittings remains in the lens mounting flange, and the inspection ‘spot’ on the rear retains its black paint.

The Hektor lens is in its original nickel finish with barely a mark on the lens tube – it’s the best finish of all my nickel lenses. The optics would benefit from a clean, but focus and aperture move smoothly and the lens is perfectly useable as is. The lens is rangefinder coupled with distances in metres, it has no visible serial number, the infinity lock is at ‘seven o’clock’; there is a 0 engraved on the rear of the lock and also on the depth of field scale. These details would appear to date the lens from 1932, the same as the camera. Maybe the pair have spent all their lives together.

Intriguingly, inside the camera case was a slip of paper giving the name ‘Captain John Peters’ and a Holyhead address, but it listed a Leica III, not II, and with a different serial number. (The camera was in fact listed online incorrectly as a Leica III with a ‘Hekkor’ lens.) A bit of Googling revealed that the late Captain John Peters had been an officer with the Pacific Steam Navigation Company and subsequently on the Sealink ferries between Holyhead and Dun Laoghaire (Dublin). An online tribute to him noted that ‘He was also an expert in photography, and had a penchant for O[ther] P[eople’s] cigarettes’ – the camera does not smell of cigarettes! Perhaps Captain Peters’ Leica III was a chrome model and he removed the original paint from this Leica II to create a matching pair.

So, having bought this combination for the lens, I’m now wondering how long Captain Peters owned it, and contemplating what photos he might have taken with it during his seafaring career.

Alan

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nf3996 said:

...inside the camera case was a slip of paper giving the name ‘Captain John Peters’ and a Holyhead address, but it listed a Leica III, not II, and with a different serial number...

Interesting story and nice-looking camera.

Not wishing to be a 'cold-shower', I assure you, but unless you have good reason to believe otherwise might the camera simply be in the 'wrong' case; a case which didn't belong with your II at all and was paired-up with it at a much later date - or perhaps just included by the dealer as part of the sale?

Philip.

Edited by pippy

1 hour ago, sandro said:

What a nice story and some good research to reveal all these things. When the Hektor dates from 1932 it is too early, but could you check if it perhaps has en R as infrared mark?

Lex

Just checked, and no infra red mark on the lens.

Alan

46 minutes ago, pippy said:

Interesting story and nice-looking camera.

Not wishing to be a 'cold-shower', I assure you, but unless you have good reason to believe otherwise might the camera simply be in the 'wrong' case; a case which didn't belong with your II at all and was paired-up with it at a much later date - or perhaps just included by the dealer as part of the sale?

Philip.

Yes, that's perfectly possible. My assumptions are based on i) the North Wales dealer and Holyhead, home of Captain Peters, are not far apart; ii) the dealer is a general photographic dealer and doesn't regularly have old Leicas, so this was probably uncommon stock - a separate case sitting waiting for a Leica to fill it is probably unlikely; and iii) specific mention of Captain Peters as 'an expert in photography', so if he had one Leica he may well have had others. We'll never know the full story behind it for certain, but I think, on balance, the evidence points to this being Captain Peters' camera.

Alan

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, nf3996 said:

Yes, that's perfectly possible. My assumptions are based on i) the North Wales dealer and Holyhead, home of Captain Peters, are not far apart; ii) the dealer is a general photographic dealer and doesn't regularly have old Leicas, so this was probably uncommon stock - a separate case sitting waiting for a Leica to fill it is probably unlikely; and iii) specific mention of Captain Peters as 'an expert in photography', so if he had one Leica he may well have had others. We'll never know the full story behind it for certain, but I think, on balance, the evidence points to this being Captain Peters' camera...

That all sounds reasonable, Alan.

Just out of curiosity; if you live in / near the area yourself were you thinking about trying to discover more about Cpt. Peters? If so then I wish you good fortune in that endeavour! If it were me in your shoes I doubt I could resist the challenge; it sounds too fascinating a tale to pass-by...

Philip.

• Like 1