Firmware Updates for Leica Q2 (v.4.0) and Q2 Monochrom (v.2.0)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, urmel said:

...the numbering was messed up as I updated my Q2 Firmware. The numbering was reset for the pictures and the new pictures have placed into 100LEICA directory.

These new taken pictures are stored there. The App Leica, running on Adroid or I-Pad, is not able to find these messed up pictures to be transferred.

For me It looks that these new Firmware level is not very well tested. The bad thing is, that there is NO warning nor any other information about these changes are published. The firmware is also changing ALL your settings on your camera. If you have saved these camera setting ...and these saved settings are stored back ...these saved settings are gone. Camera is reset to factory anyway. Begin at start

The quality of these Firmware is, from my point of view, very poor, even some good functions are in.

All my normal settings are saved as a user profile. After updatingi simply reloaded the user profile and all my settings were back. The same as every firmware upgrade since the year 0. 

• Like 1

the update process prompts and gives you an option to save the settings before proceeding. even if you don't think you care to or need to save your settings, this is the time to save your numbering system if that's your priority. 

i normally go a step further and duplicate the sd card on the desktop before applying the firmware update. and if you're not using the fotos update, you're gonna have to mount the card there anyway to copy the firmware update file to it. just copy the card before or after copying or moving the file to the card.

/guy

Edited by gteague

maybe you replied before my editing in a 2nd paragraph where i noted this exception. but it's good to know fotos doesn't prompt to save the settings file although i don't see why that feature couldn't be added. /guy

Edited by gteague

vor 3 Stunden schrieb hdmesa:

If it resets the numbering to a folder past what you had been using, you probably would have to reset the camera and try again: 1) save your profile to SD if you don't have it saved already 2) completely reset the camera 3) reimport settings 4) reset image numbering until it writes to 101LEICA. Once it's putting an image in 101LEICA called S1010001, you can put that SD card in your computer, delete that image, empty trash, then copy over your S1010614 image to the 101LEICA folder, put the SD card back in the camera and take a photo and see if it picks up at the next number.

Hallelujah, that worked. I don't know where you are living, but whenever we meet, I owe you a beer... or two... or more 😅

Thx a lot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WeiterWinkel said:

Hallelujah, that worked. I don't know where you are living, but whenever we meet, I owe you a beer... or two... or more 😅

Thx a lot.

Glad it worked! 🍻

Leica really really needs to build firmware updates that automatically save and re-import everything so that the camera gets put back the way it was before, including continuing the file numbering where it left off.

I read/hear Leica people scolding other Leica users who haven't updated their firmware, and I think this is the reason why. A lot of Leica shooters only update when a critical feature is added because it's just not worth the hassle. Can't say I blame them.

Edited by hdmesa
  • Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

HIGHLIGHT-WEIGHTED exposure metering  seems not to work on my Q2M. I shoot raw and when I set the camera to full auto or auto-iso there is NO difference between multi field and highlight weighted exposure. This is an interior scene with an outside window, where the window is mostly blown out in both metering modes.

When I use the remote through Leica Fotos and the camera is set at highlight weighted, it does not show up any exposure metering. When the camera is at any other metering mode, it does show the 'old' metering modes but highlight weighted is not a choice.

Edited by Joris Louwes

On 5/5/2022 at 11:22 AM, gteague said:

i was disappointed to see that although leica have added new settings to the jpg settings (film profiles?), there are still no red/orange/yellow/green 'filters' for the b&w modes. 

i guess they have to protect sales of the monochromes. :)

and pg 12 of the f/w pdf file show a table of the new video modes and there are more options than are shown, but perhaps they are only listing the ones that changed in some way. i read it and said: 'why no 60fps modes', but there is one under m4p fhd. 

/guy

I loved the filter options on my Fuji X100V - so much fun to play with!!  I miss that camera at times but the quiality of the Q2 photos are just on another level.

• Like 2

s.I have tried to update from 3.1 to 4.0 firmware on my Q2. No success - says that there is no firmware on the SD card. I have formatted the card and put the file onto the card. The size of the file shows up in the properties. So the file is there. I think. Can you give me any advice as to how to upgrade to version 4.0 - thank you

I don't know if you noticed (I don't even know if the camera was doing it already with the previous update): when using the camera to record video, using one of the crop (35, 50 or 75mm) the camera will actually show full screen the crop. Is it a new feature?

While in photo mode, it keeps showing the frame lines on the same view as the 28mm.

On 5/9/2022 at 3:58 AM, Joris Louwes said:

HIGHLIGHT-WEIGHTED exposure metering  seems not to work on my Q2M. I shoot raw and when I set the camera to full auto or auto-iso there is NO difference between multi field and highlight weighted exposure. This is an interior scene with an outside window, where the window is mostly blown out in both metering modes.

When I use the remote through Leica Fotos and the camera is set at highlight weighted, it does not show up any exposure metering. When the camera is at any other metering mode, it does show the 'old' metering modes but highlight weighted is not a choice.

Any resolution on these issues Joris?  I am experiencing the same issues. How about other users? 

For reference, I have an Android phone with App version 3.1.0 (the latest update available to me) and when upgrading my Q2M firmware to 2.0 there were no errors or obvious problems during the update process.

Edited by letsrig

5 hours ago, letsrig said:

Any resolution on these issues Joris?  I am experiencing the same issues. How about other users? 

For reference, I have an Android phone with App version 3.1.0 (the latest update available to me) and when upgrading my Q2M firmware to 2.0 there were no errors or obvious problems during the update process.

No, still not working. 

38 minutes ago, Nikonian233 said:

OK maybe im an idiot but where is the actual firmware upgrade? I go down the list and pick the Eng;ish version but all I get are the release notes and nothing else.

Thank you

Those are release notes not the firmware upgrade. Go down the list and you will come to the file for the firmware upgrade that says "Q2___40_.lfu". 

On 5/12/2022 at 8:53 PM, Nikonian233 said:

OK maybe im an idiot but where is the actual firmware upgrade? I go down the list and pick the Eng;ish version but all I get are the release notes and nothing else.

Thank you

First link on the page: https://leica-camera.com/en-int/photography/cameras/q/q2-monochrom/firmware

Last but one link on this page: https://leica-camera.com/en-int/photography/cameras/q/q2-black/firmware

Still having trouble updating firmware with my MacBook. New to Leica but the download firmware 4.0 is a PDF file? Anyway, I drag & drop it on a formatted card, insert the card into the camera, it reads Version 3, Version 4 not there.

Is the actual firmware somewhere in that PDF file that I can't find?

31 minutes ago, jpmac55 said:

Still having trouble updating firmware with my MacBook. New to Leica but the download firmware 4.0 is a PDF file? Anyway, I drag & drop it on a formatted card, insert the card into the camera, it reads Version 3, Version 4 not there.

Is the actual firmware somewhere in that PDF file that I can't find?

No, it's not a pdf! The file name is 'Q2___40_.lfu'
Looks like you downloaded the instructions/release notes!

See the post immediately above yours. You may not have gone far enough down the page.

Edited by LocalHero1953

17 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

No, it's not a pdf! The file name is 'Q2___40_.lfu'
Looks like you downloaded the instructions/release notes!

See the post immediately above yours. You may not have gone far enough down the page.

Thanks, Paul. I've done plenty of Fujifilm firmware updates over the years. They constantly offer firmware fixes on most of their camera & lens. Fujifilm does not add instructions/release notes, they just send the file update. This is from the Leica site:

Leica Q2 Firmware update 4.0    "Format PDF (1.52 MB)"

I don't see  'Q2___40_.lfu' embedded in the instructions which is why I was asking for assistance.