Firmware Updates for Leica Q2 (v.4.0) and Q2 Monochrom (v.2.0)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, hdmesa said:

Mac people: You don't try to "open" the firmware file! Just copy it to the SD card. Done.

If the Mac tries to open the file automatically you get an error message, just disregard and copy the downloaded file over to the SD card.

I had tried that but your response made me try again - turns out where I saved the file on the card was the problem...

Anyways, thank you for you "firm" and confident instruction that made me try again - it worked!

Tuna

Edited by tuna
  • Like 1

Updated the FW without issue ( other than mild disappointment at not being able to use Fotos for it) 

Jury still out on highlight metering.  

Had something happen that hasn’t happened before though.  Q2 R froze after powering it off.  LCD stayed on.  Shutter, eye sensor, buttons, power switch all non responsive.  Had to remove the battery to get it back.  Seems fine now but not something that should be happening.  

Update:  I forgot to change back to the V90 card and had the old slow card in my camera that I use for firmware updates.  It may have just been writing to the card super slowly.  And now the Fotos has the update option live.  :)

Edited by liggy

that deal  with the custom prefix has never bitten me. i use 'Q" instead of the default. perhaps it's because i usually restore from my user profile and that 'fixes' what the update breaks? idk. 

1 hour ago, tuna said:

Same problem here with a Mac - not Mac friendly? Any advice on how to get the firmware on an sd using a Mac?

Thanks

Once the correct firmware file has been downloaded from the Leica site it will appear in your finder directory on your iMac.  Format your SD card in camera and then into a card reader to your iMac.  Make sure your SD card is identified in your finder directory and then drag the new firmware file onto the SD card.  Return the SD card to your camera and follow the remaining instructions.  My iMac is the new M1 chip version but should work the same with any Mac machine.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kirkmc said:

I didn't know about the numbering reset, and that if you had an image on your card it would pick up from there. Is there any way to fix it now that it's been reset? 

Yes, see my post a few up from this one

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/332163-firmware-updates-for-leica-q2-v40-and-q2-monochrom-v20/page/5/#comment-4430605

Edited by hdmesa

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, gteague said:

that deal  with the custom prefix has never bitten me. i use 'Q" instead of the default. perhaps it's because i usually restore from my user profile and that 'fixes' what the update breaks? idk. 

Custom letter prefix is restored when your saved profile is imported back.

• Like 1

Successfully updated my Q2 to 4.0 using the Leica Fotos iPhone app, but lost my settings that way (there is no way to save them if you forget to put them on an sd card first). 

New features work well at first sight. I am still finding out when to use them. 

I was hoping to see the keystone feature on the Q2, but no luck there. But very glad Leica is providing new functionality this way. 

vor 14 Stunden schrieb hdmesa:

If anyone runs into a situation where their image file numbering got messed up*

With my SL2 I proceeded exactly along your instructions, but it doesn't work. The numbering starts all over with S1000001.DNG. With my Q2 it worked automatically, I'm still on the same number count as just before the 4.0 upgrade. Can it be, that the SL works differently?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by WeiterWinkel

4 hours ago, WeiterWinkel said:

With my SL2 I proceeded exactly along your instructions, but it doesn't work. The numbering starts all over with S1000001.DNG. With my Q2 it worked automatically, I'm still on the same number count as just before the 4.0 upgrade. Can it be, that the SL works differently?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hmm, or maybe I mis-remembered how I did it. Might try it again but put your 614 DNG file into the 100LEICA folder, remove the 101LEICA folder and see if that works. 

Edited by hdmesa

vor 2 Stunden schrieb BAASCH:

I did. Worked fine. 

You claim that you could update by using the fotos app. Are you the only one? Does that work in between? There are indeed posts in this thread coming to the conclusion that this did NOT work yet and probably in a future release. I had no chance to use Fotos app.

• Like 1

Updated using a Mac with no need to reformat. Just download the firmware (ensuring that it didn't get renamed along the way), drop the firmware at the root of the SD, pop it into the camera and follow the instructions being sure to tell it to save your profiles. Manually restore your profiles afterwards. The only problem I had is that my battery was completely drained and had to be placed into the Leica charger to reset in order for my Nitecore charger to properly recognize it.

It is frustrating that the update process asks you if you want to save your profiles but doesn't restore them automatically. The update process should 1) save the profiles to a special temporary location, 2) upon reboot, look to see if that temporary location exists and if so 3) restore the profiles and delete the temporary location. This is a common approach that provides the user with a seamless experience.

On 5/6/2022 at 4:46 PM, musers said:

Woa this camera has 10bit 422 internal now? Oh man this just opened up a lot of possibilities for me. If only it were also in LOG. 400mbs is a lot to play with though....

Does anybody know what it was before? I have tried looking but can't find a table like the one in the new release notes. Was it less than 400mbs and 10 bit 422? I'm pretty sure it was less, but can't find a table before this one!

9 minutes ago, light879432 said:

Does anybody know what it was before? I have tried looking but can't find a table like the one in the new release notes. Was it less than 400mbs and 10 bit 422? I'm pretty sure it was less, but can't find a table before this one!

It was Long GOP 8-bit 420 before this update. Only MP4 container. I can check the bitrate of some of my files but I think it was somewhere in the 40-70 Mbps range? It was a pretty significant upgrade! Agreed that Log support would be mega. 

Edited by matted

25 minutes ago, matted said:

It was Long GOP 8-bit 420 before this update. Only MP4 container. I can check the bitrate of some of my files but I think it was somewhere in the 40-70 Mbps range? It was a pretty significant upgrade! Agreed that Log support would be mega. 

Thanks, that's what I suspected - just can't seem to find it written anywhere. I am glad that I got the fastest cards! I have just tested C4k 24fps and it does look better.

• Like 1

Yes, the Q2 has really evolved in terms of video.

When it was first released, the 4K didn't seem like a serious part of the camera. You couldn't even set video controls manually, it was mp4 container only and 4.2.0 as far as I know. Although a great stills camera, the video seemed more like something on an iPhone.

Thanks to loving firmware updates it's now manual control, mov and 422 at 400mbs! Together with the lens, it's not to be sneezed at. I had already managed to get good results before, but now I am quite excited by its possibilities as a cine camera.

Of course, many people have never shot on film (I mean motion picture film) and so will probably still think it doesn't have a lot of digital bells and whistles.

But it's becoming a bit of a secret weapon, in terms of video, at this point.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, light879432 said:

Yes, the Q2 has really evolved in terms of video.

When it was first released, the 4K didn't seem like a serious part of the camera. You couldn't even set video controls manually, it was mp4 container only and 4.2.0 as far as I know. Although a great stills camera, the video seemed more like something on an iPhone.

Thanks to loving firmware updates it's now manual control, mov and 422 at 400mbs! Together with the lens, it's not to be sneezed at. I had already managed to get good results before, but now I am quite excited by its possibilities as a cine camera.

Of course, many people have never shot on film (I mean motion picture film) and so will probably still think it doesn't have a lot of digital bells and whistles.

But it's becoming a bit of a secret weapon, in terms of video, at this point.

i'm a lifelong still photog but a half-dozen years ago when i got a panasonic gh5 i vowed to teach myself video. but i understand the paradigms of video editing even less than photo editing which i only rarely do. but mac monterey has introduced some easy editing right in the finder (including splicing in the quickview mode) and i've easing back into shooting some video.

but i shot some video with the q2 on the c4k24p setting back when i first got it (which was the maximum before) and shot a whole night of fireworks with it and got results way beyond what i expected. i've shot casual short clips during the daytime which really didn't suck. so i was fairly happy with the quality before the update. i shot a 12 second test right away and even inside a dim room it is impressive. and now i can match footage (if i could edit, that is!) with the c4k30p output of my panasonic s1. when i get the opportunity i'll shoot the same scene with both and i'll have a comparison.

i think leica way way undersold this feature which, given the lack of the b&w photo filters i wanted, is the best of the update. 

/guy

Edited by gteague
  • Like 1