Firmware Updates for Leica Q2 (v.4.0) and Q2 Monochrom (v.2.0)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, jimleicam3 said:

I downloaded the firmware to my new iMac and I am unable to open it to save to a card.  It claims that I don't have an application to open it.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Same here. My iMac is version 11.6. I get a message saying "There is no application set to open Q2M__20_.lfu" 

• Like 1

vor 23 Minuten schrieb RobM:

Same here. My iMac is version 11.6. I get a message saying "There is no application set to open Q2M__20_.lfu" 

It was said above: Do NOT try to open that file. Just drag and drop onto card. Is it unclear of HOW to drag and drop? I mean this seriously as seemingly that step does not work (I added this last sentence after I got the smiley from @gteague). I did not want to fool someone.

Edited by M11 for me
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

update went smooth but the first thing i tried was to bump up my video resolution from c4k/24 to c4k/30. i think i was using m4p before but now .mov is the only format to allow the new frame rate. i was going to shoot a 12s test and i got an error message at 10s that my card was too slow. it was an 256gb adata u2 v90 card which had never given me any issues in a lumix s1 or the q2

i found a 128gb sandisk extreme u2 v30 or v60 and was going to copy the adata to the new card after i formatted the new card in the camera. but it hung up and caused all sorts of grief. i rebooted and reinserted everything and tried again to duplicate the adata and it hung in the same place. i suspected it was hanging on that aborted .mov file and indeed that card too slow error seems to have corrupted the file or even the card. 

in any event i've quarantined that card for a device not so unforgiving and a 12s test with the sandisk card yielded a beautiful video. so i'm just noting this in case someone else has the same issue when bumping up the video resolution. i never liked the adata cards i bought when they were one of the first to offer v90 speeds, but this was a 256gb u2 card and i hated to just discard it.

btw, despite the messiness trying to move to a new card, my file numbering was intact--first thing i tested. 

/guy

Edited by gteague

2 hours ago, M11 for me said:

Well, that new metering seems to help in specific situations only. My experience is with the M11 so far. The new metering tends to create too dark images. I prefer to check the histogram (through visoflex 2 on the M11) and make manual adjustments instead of using the new metering method.

See Leica releasenote page 5. To me the pictures show that the sky is cerainly not blown but the dark areas are too dark. That might cause new problems in post

glad someone else noticed this. it really improves skies at the cost of blacking out ground details. i'll try it on a contingency basis and see on what scenes it works best. 

i've gone through all the update settings and it looks like the new idr and the shadow/highlight additions to the film styles will allow you to tweak this new metering mode. it will take some trial and error but those seem very useful additions although setting up the styles is now more awkward and slower--at least until i get used to it i guess. and once i've set those, i don't tend to fuss with them.

/guy

Edited by gteague
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, M11 for me said:

It was said above: Do NOT try to open that file. Just drag and drop onto card. Is it unclear of HOW to drag and drop? I mean this seriously as seemingly that step does not work (I added this last sentence after I got the smiley from @gteague). I did not want to fool someone.

i smiled it because it had been posted like 3 times by then. :) /guy

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, gteague said:

update went smooth but the first thing i tried was to bump up my video resolution from c4k/24 to c4k/30. i think i was using m4p before but now .mov is the only format to allow the new frame rate. i was going to shoot a 12s test and i got an error message at 10s that my card was too slow. it was an 256gb adata u2 v90 card which had never given me any issues in a lumix s1 or the q2. 

/guy

My memory is short but I believe prior to the update, all video files on Q2 were in .mp4 container, and all were long GOP. 

Right now, ALL .mov options are All-I and have considerably faster write speed requirements. Lock up issue aside, I suppose the good news is that the Q2 recognized the speed was an issue and gave you an error, rather than just dropping frames…

• Like 2

i was disappointed to see that although leica have added new settings to the jpg settings (film profiles?), there are still no red/orange/yellow/green 'filters' for the b&w modes. 

i guess they have to protect sales of the monochromes. :)

and pg 12 of the f/w pdf file show a table of the new video modes and there are more options than are shown, but perhaps they are only listing the ones that changed in some way. i read it and said: 'why no 60fps modes', but there is one under m4p fhd. 

/guy

Edited by gteague

59 minutes ago, gteague said:

update went smooth but the first thing i tried was to bump up my video resolution from c4k/24 to c4k/30. i think i was using m4p before but now .mov is the only format to allow the new frame rate. i was going to shoot a 12s test and i got an error message at 10s that my card was too slow. it was an 256gb adata u2 v90 card which had never given me any issues in a lumix s1 or the q2. 

i found a 128gb sandisk extreme u2 v30 or v60 and was going to copy the adata to the new card after i formatted the new card in the camera. but it hung up and caused all sorts of grief. i rebooted and reinserted everything and tried again to duplicate the adata and it hung in the same place. i suspected it was hanging on that aborted .mov file and indeed that card too slow error seems to have corrupted the file or even the card. 

in any event i've quarantined that card for a device not so unforgiving and a 12s test with the sandisk card yielded a beautiful video. so i'm just noting this in case someone else has the same issue when bumping up the video resolution. i never liked the adata cards i bought when they were one of the first to offer v90 speeds, but this was a 256gb u2 card and i hated to just discard it.

btw, despite the messiness trying to move to a new card, my file numbering was intact--first thing i tested. 

/guy

Might be a good idea to format the card too. As I recall the M11 had some issues after the firmware update unless the card was reformatted.

3 hours ago, matted said:

I tried but could not figure out how... perhaps they added the ability for future firmware updates to happen via Fotos? Or maybe it requires you to sign in with a Leica account? 

I understand that in future you will be able to update with the fotos app. 
i guess they first need to establish this as a feature on the camera and the execute it in the next update.

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, gteague said:

i was disappointed to see that although leica have added new settings to the jpg settings (film profiles?), there are still no red/orange/yellow/green 'filters' for the b&w modes. 

i guess they have to protect sales of the monochromes. :)

/guy

This is very easy to apply in camera raw! (Filters, red , Green , Blue ) 
and I use filters infront of the camera to get special looks. 
but it would be nice ! 
did you send it as an request ? 

6 minutes ago, Pelu2010 said:

This is very easy to apply in camera raw! (Filters, red , Green , Blue ) 
and I use filters infront of the camera to get special looks. 
but it would be nice ! 
did you send it as an request ? 

i do indeed have an orange filter. and i don't routinely shoot raw--i've not had much need to shoot raw. but now that dxo raw app  allows you to edit raw from the mac finder i'm shooting raw+jpg although i still haven't found much need to use the raw versions except for backups. i'll see if i can submit a request because my panasonic s1 has them and being able to apply them in software is useful as i shoot at least 50% b&w. 

/guy

Edited by gteague

1 minute ago, gteague said:

i do indeed have an orange filter. and i don't routinely shoot raw--i've not had much need to shoot raw. but now that dxo raw app  allows you to edit raw from the mac finder i'm shooting raw+jpg although i still haven't found much need to use the raw versions except for backups. 

/guy

Check it out it’s phantastic ! 
it’s like standing in the darkroom and making very nice prints ! 
a pure joy 

• Like 1

are you folks who are seeing the file numbers reset not saving your user profile and then reading it back in? or maybe have never created and saved a profile? perhaps that's the difference because mine didn't reset. /guy

3 hours ago, RobM said:

You don't need to open it! When you downloaded the file, pull it on the screen, and from there directly to the main directory of the SD card, or directly from "downloads" to SD card. Than put SD card in camera and follow instructions. 

Edited by MaticB
  • Like 2