Firmware Updates for Leica Q2 (v.4.0) and Q2 Monochrom (v.2.0)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 5 Minuten schrieb matted:

I tried but could not figure out how... perhaps they added the ability for future firmware updates to happen via Fotos? Or maybe it requires you to sign in with a Leica account? 

Thank you. That is what I experienced. Its not satisfying after the excellent experience with updating the M11 via the app. 

Further Tagging does not work. To me it seems that the app is nonsense in relation to the Q2 (works fine with M11 except tagging of course that comes later). Or do I do something wrong? To me the tagging is important and I use other tools that I would like to get rid off.

40 minutes ago, jimleicam3 said:

I downloaded the firmware to my new iMac and I am unable to open it to save to a card.  It claims that I don't have an application to open it.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Just pull the icon of the firmware to main directory of your previously re-formated SD card. You don't need to open it! Any downloader must be quit! 

Edited by MaticB
  • Thanks 1

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Ba Erv:

Highlight-Weighted metering...AWESOME!

Well, that new metering seems to help in specific situations only. My experience is with the M11 so far. The new metering tends to create too dark images. I prefer to check the histogram (through visoflex 2 on the M11) and make manual adjustments instead of using the new metering method.

See Leica releasenote page 5. To me the pictures show that the sky is cerainly not blown but the dark areas are too dark. That might cause new problems in post

Edited by M11 for me
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, jimleicam3 said:

I downloaded the firmware to my new iMac and I am unable to open it to save to a card.  It claims that I don't have an application to open it.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Just copy the firmware to a sd card formatted in your camera. Read the pdf.

Edited by AnikiMu

4 minutes ago, M11 for me said:

Well, that new metering seems to help in specific situations only. My experience is with the M11 so far. The new metering tends to create too dark images. I prefer to check the histogram (through visoflex 2 on the M11) and make manual adjustments instead of using the new metering method.

The M11 isn’t the Q2M.  The Q2M is unforgiving of blow highlights and can’t be recovered by the color channel mixer.

14 minutes ago, robgo2 said:

Could someone please explain, step by step, how to export and then re-import settings? When I have tried this in the past, I was not able to re-import.

Thanks

To export: during the firmware update. In the pdf for firmware update.

To import: After firmware update, with the same sd card (settings are there now) -> 

EXPORTING/IMPORTING PROFILES TO/FROM THE MEMORY CARD  page 123 of the user manual (pm-73263-Leica-Q2_Instructions_en.pdf, here: https://leica-camera.com/en-int/photography/cameras/q/q2-black/technical-specs)

Edited by AnikiMu
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, robgo2 said:

Could someone please explain, step by step, how to export and then re-import settings? When I have tried this in the past, I was not able to re-import.

Thanks

You should get a dialogue box asking you if you want to save the user settings during the update.  Answer yes.  After the update go to user profiles and import them back

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you save the profile at the time of update and reimport, it keeps the file naming. I also think in the past if my SD card didn't have any old files on it, the file numbering would also be off. So if you have a formatted SD card without images on there, make sure and save profiles then re-import. Even if you don't have a "User 1" set up, it brings back your settings to the default profile.

Edited by hdmesa
can't type

It boggles the mind when a company that is charging an arm and a leg for a camera chooses not to fix an apparent bug. I can understand the features that they chose to not include, despite (paying) customers' suggestions. But the image numbering reset is a bug and it takes all of one line of code to fix... It is a very poor show by a camera maker that wants to keep charging as much as they want. Very pissed off to have to go through that very tedious process to get back to the image number I was before the upgrade. Venting completed; not a happy camper...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, acg69 said:

It boggles the mind when a company that is charging an arm and a leg for a camera chooses not to fix an apparent bug. I can understand the features that they chose to not include, despite (paying) customers' suggestions. But the image numbering reset is a bug and it takes all of one line of code to fix... It is a very poor show by a camera maker that wants to keep charging as much as they want. Very pissed off to have to go through that very tedious process to get back to the image number I was before the upgrade. Venting completed; not a happy camper...

It's not a bug, it's that Leica's way of thinking is buggy and counterintuitive to users. The default profile should be automatically preserved like it is for every other manufacturer when doing a firmware update. It's ludicrous that it essentially resets the camera to like it was when new (preserving only things like date/time).

Edited by hdmesa
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

If you save the profile at the time of update and reimport, it keeps the file naming. I also think in the past if my SD card didn't have any old files on it, the file numbering would also be off. So if you have a formatted SD card without images on there, make sure and save profiles then re-import. Even if you don't have a "User 1" set up, it brings back your settings to the default profile.

It is odd that the file naming convention is retained through the upgrade process (if you export and reimport profiles - e.g. mine is Qxxx instead of Lxxx) but numbering is not. What are they thinking?

• Like 3

Hey, I also have no problem after DL and installing the latest firmware. The cool aspect of 4.0 is that you can get really flat B&W image (especially together with new exposure metering and dynamic range+settings) I really like it!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

I saved my user profile #1 on the SD card, then updated the import again in all my settings. It respects all of them, including the "L" name of files, but the number was reset, starting again from L000001. For me, it's not a big deal, but I can see it's frustrating for somebody.