Elmarit designs are different compared with Summicron, but the quality is impeccable. For general work, the Elmarit range is ideal and fast enough for most purposes. You will not be able to identify which type of lens was used.

• Like 1

There is no Summicron or Elmarit on the D-Lux 7 but a Summilux, name given to lenses faster than f/2 at Leica. On the CL, as far as AF lenses are concerned, there is one Summilux  (35/1.4), one Summicron (23/2), two Elmarit's (18/2.8, 60/2.8) and three Elmar's (11-23/3.5-4.5, 18-56/3.5-4.5, 55-135/3.5-4.5). AFAIK all these lenses are made in Japan but two: 35/1.4 and 60/2.8 which are made in Germany. German made lenses are more expensive and said to be outstanding optically but i have no experience with them sorry. All lenses made in Japan rely more or less strongly on software to correct for distortion but again my experience is useless as my only AF lens is a Sigma (18-50/2.8). Hope this helps a bit though...

Edited by lct
  • Like 1