Unexplained marks on negatives with M6ttl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Virtually every film I put through my M6ttl shows white strips on the first few frames.  Attached are frame 1 (the building) and frame 3 (river/bridge) from the latest film. (frame 2 is unaffected). I have discussed this with the people who last serviced the camera and they have no idea of the cause. Frame 1 also shows a black strip down the left-hand edge.  This happens with the first frames of every film.  I can live with this by sacrificing the first three frames of every film but I would like to know the cause, if anyone has any suggestions....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

If it is just the first couple of frames of every film I think just wind the film on a bit more before taking your first shot. I think the wonky black bands could be because you haven't made sure the film is engaged on the sprocket gears properly when loading, although the film loading mechanism should normally compensate for this after winding on a couple of frames. Or are you using reloadable cassettes that are letting light in? Either way it looks like a light leak from the light trap in the film cassette which could happen by having the cassette out in the light too long, or after closing the baseplate not winding on to #1 before shooting the first shot. 

Edited by 250swb
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, PMCK said:

Thanks; you're quite right; re-checking the instructions reveals that I have not been winding on far enough BEFORE closing the camera back.  Glad to know it was me and not the camera! 

I hate to say it but I really doubt that this is the cause. I get 39 full exposures per 36exp roll with zero light contamination. I close the back before winding a frame. I just see that the sprocket and gear are aligned then close it up, advance once, click, advance and then it's ready to shoot. 

• Like 2

Can you examine the negs under a loupe? has the emulsion had any damage perhaps? or could they be stress marks, - that will case emulsion to exhibit the same as a light leak, it can happen when loading film into  a dev spool - more common with medium format film as it flexes more when loading.

Edited by Pintpot
addition to comments
  • Like 1

Try dropping the film in, pull the leader across until it engages the take up tulip, replace the baseplate, wind twice then snug up the rewind crank for good measure. Let us know if that helps.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks, MadNbad, will do.  That's the way described in the manual:  insert the tip of the leader into the petals, close the back and wind on twice. Some Internet videos recommend winding on a little before closing the back.

@Percevalare you bulk loading your own film?  the fact that this happens on the first frames is when the roll of film is it’s fullest.  It could have to do with the leaders in the bulk rolling or the canister. It looks a lot like it is rubbing on something and the inside of the canister, the felt edge or that side of the camera body could have something that is causing this at the beginning only when the film is thickest.  I understand it is 1 and 3 and that 2 appears good.  But if it doesn’t happen later and only in the beginning it has to be either when the film is loaded in the canister, when it is shot or as it is rewound.

Just thoughts.

Last question, are you developing yourself?  It could be in the development process, as these are the first frames loaded on a reel….  try another film batch, a different development company, different reel???