Time to jump all in on a Monochrom?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’m pondering to now pick up an M10 Monochrom. I’ve found since shooting with my M10-P for almost 3 years my eye for black and white has become more acute to the point I now shoot my M10 with the JPG setting on black and white, I import my images to Lightroom with a black and white profile set on import and keep 99.9% of my images in black and white. 

Of course, the M10 Monochrom is a heck of an investment & I’d still keep the M10-P as it’s a special camera for me, but I’m feeling it’s now or never for picking one up. I like the idea of fully committing to black and white. 

• Like 3

Erniethemilk,   I certainly agree with Ken.  The M10-M is a most excellent camera.  I think you will find the M10-M DNG files incredibly satisfying to work and your resulting prints to be superb.  r/ Mark   

• Like 2

I had to swallow hard when I bought mine, it was my entry into the world of M.  I was hooked into it by following the M9 Mono thread and, like you, finding I was preferring quite a few of my images in black and white. 

it was a large investment but I would do it again.  I think there is something very different using the M10M compared to converting back and white.  (Especially in low light). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, erniethemilk said:

...I’ve found since shooting with my M10-P for almost 3 years my eye for black and white has become more acute to the point I now shoot my M10 with the JPG setting on black and white, I import my images to Lightroom with a black and white profile set on import and keep 99.9% of my images in black and white...

As someone for whom '99.9% images in black and white' sounds very familiar I'd say Yes; go for it. Even before I bought my M Monochrom I was (almost) always converting files to B'n'W so for me buying an MM was a logical step.

When out snapping I tend to both 'see' and 'think' in black and white and as there is (I find) a different mental-approach required to shooting B'n'W I often use either a Yellow or Orange filter on my M-D Typ-262 because I know the end-results will be monochrome. For me using such filters at the capture stage gives considerably more satisfactory results than attempting to recreate their effect(s) using sliders in post-prod.

I'm a Photoshop user and am not at all familiar with Lightroom so what I'm about to suggest might not be applicable in your situation but I find shooting RAW/DNG rather than JPEG allows far more flexibility and fine-control over the vitally-important initial processing-out stage of post-prod work. Things might, of course, be completely different in Lightroom; I simply don't know.

Good luck!

Philip.

• Like 1

@erniethemilk

I don't have (need) M10-M, but I use happily the former Monochroms.

Those are real Monochrom and suit me for my "mono thirst", I don't need/want more resolution.

My suggestion is buying one of these : M246 would be good choice, but older style MM1 with replaced sensor can of course do it 😉.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for the info chaps! Definitely lots to ponder....

@pippy I currently shoot RAW only, I set the camera JPG settings in camera to black and white, simply to be able to see the preview, I convert the DNG file on import to a black and white profile in LR, so I don't see the colour RAW file unless I reset the file in LR at a later stage.

@a.noctiluxI've looked at the M246 and older models, however as I intend to keep my M10-P I'd rather go with the M10 Monochrom as it keeps the battery/typ 020 EVF etc all the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, erniethemilk said:

...I currently shoot RAW only, I set the camera JPG settings in camera to black and white, simply to be able to see the preview, I convert the DNG file on import to a black and white profile in LR, so I don't see the colour RAW file unless I reset the file in LR at a later stage...

Ah! I misunderstood your meaning, Ernie; apologies for any confusion. Thanks for the clarification!

Philip.

• Like 1

I went for the M10M early 2020 after I sold my M(240).

No regrets, I shoot most of my pics with the M10M and love it. I don’t use the rear screen, I use it as a film M, with the added ISO flexibility :) 

The DNG files you get are amazing and the camera is a pure joy to use, you won’t regret it !

• Like 1

6 hours ago, erniethemilk said:

I’m pondering to now pick up an M10 Monochrom. I’ve found since shooting with my M10-P for almost 3 years my eye for black and white has become more acute to the point I now shoot my M10 with the JPG setting on black and white, I import my images to Lightroom with a black and white profile set on import and keep 99.9% of my images in black and white. 

Of course, the M10 Monochrom is a heck of an investment & I’d still keep the M10-P as it’s a special camera for me, but I’m feeling it’s now or never for picking one up. I like the idea of fully committing to black and white. 

I've wanted a Monochrom since the M9-M was first announced, had an order standing for an M246 for the better part of a year that i finally cancelled in 2015, have since dallied with the idea of a Q2M, and recently spent time evaluating and testing a Pixii—and a good bit of the draw there was its dedicated Monochrome-DNG mode. The Pixii is a lovely camera but it isn't for me for various reasons, so I've sent it back. Reflecting on how nice it was to use the Pixii as a monochrome camera, I said "what the heck?" and ordered an M10 Monochrom. It'll be here Thursday... Can't wait to begin the new adventures! 

:D 

G

Double Merge - Santa Clara 2020
Panasonic GX9 + Color Skopar 28mm f/3.5 (Leica M mount)

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, ramarren said:

I've wanted a Monochrom since the M9-M was first announced, had an order standing for an M246 for the better part of a year that i finally cancelled in 2015, have since dallied with the idea of a Q2M, and recently spent time evaluating and testing a Pixii—and a good bit of the draw there was its dedicated Monochrome-DNG mode. The Pixii is a lovely camera but it isn't for me for various reasons, so I've sent it back. Reflecting on how nice it was to use the Pixii as a monochrome camera, I said "what the heck?" and ordered an M10 Monochrom. It'll be here Thursday... Can't wait to begin the new adventures! 

:D 

G

Double Merge - Santa Clara 2020
Panasonic GX9 + Color Skopar 28mm f/3.5 (Leica M mount)

Happy shooting!

I've recently acquired an MM246, Loving it - enjoy

• Like 2

6 hours ago, erniethemilk said:

If it's what you want, go for it.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Viv said:

If it's what you want, go for it.

1 hour ago, erniethemilk said:

@a.noctiluxI've looked at the M246 and older models, however as I intend to keep my M10-P I'd rather go with the M10 Monochrom as it keeps the battery/typ 020 EVF etc all the same.

M10-M !

go for it, only way to know.

I can't help more 😉

• Like 2

7 hours ago, erniethemilk said:

@erniethemilk  Your observations sound like compelling reasons to acquire an M10 Monochrom rather than reasons to abstain from the M10M.

There's no two ways about it, the M10M carries a massive price tag.  Whether its a camera, a time piece, an automobile or jewelry for the significant other, the best never comes at a bargain basement price.  My experience with purchasing an M10 Monochrom was that after photographing with it for an afternoon and importing the images to Lightroom, the price tag was completely forgotten.

The M10 Monochrom is a world class camera - it does things that no color camera can do.  It is unique inthe world of photography.  I cannot imagine that if you were to acquire this camera, you would ever regret doing so.  Just my humble opinion.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Any of the Monochroms will offer you a new experience, even while 99.9% already end up as b&w.  It’s dismissing the other 0.1% in your mind that makes the difference IMO. I bought the M10 Monochrom, thinking that I’d sell my M(9) Monochrom, but now happily use both. It’s addictive. 

A trade off is the inability to use color channels in PP, instead relying on the less flexible and less convenient colored lens filters.  I typically shoot without filters. 

I still have an M10-R and SL2 for other shooting needs, but never take them out when I’m shooting with either Monochrom.  Different mindset and experience, for me, even though I can produce superb (or mediocre) b&w prints with any of this fine gear.

Jeff

• Like 4

Leica Ms with Monochrom sensor are so good that the weak link is me.

So for me, M10-M will be a waste (I use M10 since launch early 2017), I'm happy with those former/lesser Monochroms 😉.

I have so many things to learn with them as "new comer" to b&w photography so nice/addictive process.

• Like 2

I had found myself looking at potential photographs in terms of B/W shots.  I had been telling myself that conversions from my M10P were good enough, but finally "weakened" and got an M10M a year ago. I still have my M10P but would estimate that since I got it, the M10M has been used for 80% of my digital shots.

I am not saying that conversions in C1 are not good, in fact they are. I simply believe now that the images from the Monochrom are better!!  I find shooting vastly different, as there is no Plan B of seeing if the shot looks better in colour. 

9 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Leica Ms with Monochrom sensor are so good that the weak link is me.

So for me, M10-M will be a waste (I use M10 since launch early 2017), I'm happy with those former/lesser Monochroms 😉.

I have so many things to learn with them as "new comer" to b&w photography so nice/addictive process.

You are not alone.

There are tens of thousands of forum members here.  Truth be told, not many of us are fully capable of maximizing the capability that the Monochrom cameras have on tap - or the color M cameras, for that matter. 

But it's such great fun to try.  😎

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 5