How do we get Leica/Adobe to fix lens corrections?

tashley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

33 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

Not sure how you get this to work!

Sl2 and SL2s only apply lens profile if it detect 6bit coding on original Leica adapter. Only in this case some corrections are been added.

If you are using any other lens or adapter no lens profile is activated in camera. and C1P reflect that.

By selecting a lens you only activating IBIS on SL2. I do this all the time with cinema lenses for photo and video.

I just tested this on SL2 with CV 28mm. Profile selected and no Profile selected. the image is 100% the same .
Tested FW 3.0 and 4.0 on SL2

I’m using the Leica adapter on the SL2-S with the CV 50 APO and profile selected in-camera for Leica 50 APO, and it applies vignette correction to the DNG permanently. 

Edited by hdmesa

31 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

I’m using the Leica adapter on the SL2-S with the CV 50 APO and profile selected in-camera for Leica 50 APO, and it applies vignette correction to the DNG permanently. 

To clarify: even when you remove the DNG Op Codes (DNG Cleaner), vignette correction is still applied?

4 hours ago, Photoworks said:

...I just tested this on SL2 with CV 28mm. Profile selected and no Profile selected. the image is 100% the same .

Tested FW 3.0 and 4.0 on SL2

Just to make sure you tested with:

• Aperture wide open with a subject that easily shows vignetting such as a blue sky
  • Profile selected in camera is for a lens with heavier correction – for your CV 28 that would be the 28 Lux profile (the 28 Summicron profile correction may be very light)
  • Same scene

The way I understand it, shading and some vignetting is hard coded into the RAW file permanently. I cannot confirm if this is the case with the SL cameras, but it is so with the M cameras.

With the SL, and especially with the Q, the camera writes the camera profile corrections to the file, and then Adobe Software applies this when viewing the file. This the user cannot easily remove unless one uses a different RAW converter, or removed the OP Codes. Either by adding the appropriate flags to ExifTool, or using software like DNGCleaner.App.

If one removes the OP codes from the Leica Q, then one can really see just how strong the correction is for this lens. Its crazy.

Here is a before and after of a dprreview sample file...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I have the same experience on the SL2 and 24-90.

at 24mm distortion is corrected in software. I get the same effect of black corner if correction are turned off.

Leica mentioned that software correction are part of the process in designing lenses for modern cameras.

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Adobe released today the 11.4 version for Lightroom Classic.  It seems to fix the bug where, with a couple of exceptions, Lens Profiles were not being applied to M11 files.  I have quickly tried this new version with an M11 and a 75mm APO-Summicron-M and found that, indeed, the lens profile is applied, can be turned on and off, and the distortion slider now works.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5