How do we get Leica/Adobe to fix lens corrections?

tashley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 4/29/2022 at 9:56 AM, anickpick said:

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/supported-lenses.html

Lens corrections work with Leica M11 plus these two lenses

Leica NOCTILUX-M 50 f1.2 ASPH. Leica M 11.0/14.0
Leica APO-SUMMICRON-M 35mm f/2 ASPH Leica M 11.1/14.1

Lens corrections do not work with Leica M11 plus all other lenses, for example:

Leica NOCTILUX-M 75mm f/1.25 ASPH. Leica 7.2/10.2
LEICA ELMARIT-M 90mm f/2.8 Leica 4.0/7.0
LEICA MACRO-ELMAR-M 90mm f/4 Leica 4.0/7.0
LEICA NOCTILUX-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH. Leica 4.0/7.0

now check the lens mount "Leica M" vs. "Leica"

I'm not quite sure what you (in fact Adobe!) mean here? DO you mean that Adobe have forgotten to designate the other M lenses as M lenses and that's why they don't work? Because the list isn't specific to the M11, which means that if that were the problem, only the 50 Lux and the 35 APO corrections would work on ANY Leica Camera whereas in my LR both classic and regular on both mobile and Mac, the corrections seem to work for all M lenses on all M cameras apart from the M11. I'm sorry to be thick....

I am surprised they would let a lens like that out the door, given that it does natively work on film as well...I wonder if perhaps Lightroom is applying the wrong profile, not just no profile? Have you tried it in another raw processor? Even a free one? But of course, Adobe needs to fix this. Unfortunately, Adobe is not exactly what I would call responsive to customers...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Stuart Richardson said:

I am surprised they would let a lens like that out the door, given that it does natively work on film as well...I wonder if perhaps Lightroom is applying the wrong profile, not just no profile? Have you tried it in another raw processor? Even a free one? But of course, Adobe needs to fix this. Unfortunately, Adobe is not exactly what I would call responsive to customers...

I'm reasonably sure that the lens natively does this (it is known for it) - but that it only shows up on certain type of subject. Opening the file in RAW Digger shows the distortion exactly as at the very top of this thread. My copy of C1 is for my Phase backs only but when I open the file in it, uneditable though it is, that exact same moustache is there...

Edited by tashley
  • Thanks 1

vor 31 Minuten schrieb Stuart Richardson:

This is the kind of distortion you get with the WATE, as soon as you have straight lines towards the borders for the frame.

I am in contact with Adobe about this issue. However, their incompetence is world class: After one our of communication, they tell me that my M11 is not a supported lens 🤯

Edited by anickpick
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, anickpick said:

This is the kind of distortion you get with the WATE, as soon as you have straight lines towards the borders for the frame.

I am in contact with Adobe about this issue. However, their incompetence is world class: After one our of communication, they tell me that my M11 is not a supported lens 🤯

Honestly, this is why Leica should get on this: they’ll have more influence than we can and the lack of support is IMHO very harmful to their product. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tashley said:

Honestly, this is why Leica should get on this: they’ll have more influence than we can and the lack of support is IMHO very harmful to their product. 

Have you contacted Adobe support? How did it go so far?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

23 minutes ago, SrMi said:

Have you contacted Adobe support? How did it go so far?

I didn’t. My past experience had taught me that the well-known saying about the definition of madness is true… you only have to see Anickpick’s comment above to know what the experience would do to your blood pressure. 

Edited by tashley

16 minutes ago, tashley said:

I didn’t. My past experience had taught me that the well-known saying about the definition of madness is true… you only have to see Anickpick’s comment above to know what the experience would do to your blood pressure. 

And to prove my point I just jumped through a series of hoops to get a chat session and when I finally got an agent and not a bot, the chat window had no ‘enter’ or ‘submit’ option so whatever I typed I could not send. Adobe ‘support’ is IMHO not fit for pigs. 

26 minutes ago, anickpick said:

Well, you do not know what I did to their blood pressures… they finally agreed to give me a call tomorrow evening 👍

Unless blood came spurting from their ears, it didn't get high enough!

I totally gave up on the chat thing then spent nearly an hour trying to find the right place to report a bug. Then it wouldn't allow me to post, with a completely unclear error message about needing to select labels, with no explanation as to what that means. In the end, finally, I have managed to post the text I have pasted here below in the official forum as a bug report and I request others to do the same thing. Go to 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-ecosystem-cloud-based/ct-p/ct-lightroom?page=1&sort=latest_replies&filter=all&lang=all&tabid=bugs

Then under 'Report a Technical Issue" select your OS.

Then click Post to Community (blue button, top right)

Then copy and paste my text from below and alter it to taste and add the subject line "Lens Corrections fault for Leica M lenses on Leica M11 camera"

Then at the bottom, where it says "Topics help users find your post. Please select one or more topics" you need to click some of the labels. I selected iOS: iPhone , iPadOS , macOS.

Then click submit.

Then make a Voodoo doll that represents all senior executives at Adobe and do something unpleasant to it involving the blood of a chicken and a sharp object....

ISSUE:  Lightroom V 5.3 and LRC V 11.3.1. with CR 14.2 (all for Mac OSX) and LR for IOS V 7.3.2 all have a bug that menas that lens corrections do not work for  the lenses listed as Supported if the camera used is the Leica M11.

Step 1: open any DNG file shot using the Leica M11

Step 2: go to Lens Corrections

Step 3: enable lens corrections (process differs depending on version and platform but result is the same across all

Expected result: Lens corrections for that particular lens should be applied if that lens is listed as Supported

Actual Result: Lens corrections are not applied.

Additional information 1: This has been confirmed by many experienced users.

Additional information 2: If I use the DNG Cleaner app to alter the DNG file so that the EXIF shows the camera as Leica M10-R or Leica M9 and then follow the exact process above, the lens corrections are applied.

Additional Information 3: two examples of lenses that are listed as supported but for which lens corrections do not work as they should are the Leica TRI-ELMAR-M 16-18-21mm f/4 ASPH and the LEICA SUMMICRON-M 28mm f/2 ASPH. However it seems that lens corrections do not work for any of my lenses.

This is a clear bug.

Edited by tashley

I have what may be a dumb question, but even with M lenses that are working in Lightroom, why is the vignette correction grayed-out and unavailable? How is anyone making manual vignette correction to M lenses in Lightroom without making a custom radial mask for every image? Capture One allows for manual use of the vignette correction tool ("light falloff") for any lens with or without a profile.

1 hour ago, tashley said:

And to prove my point I just jumped through a series of hoops to get a chat session and when I finally got an agent and not a bot, the chat window had no ‘enter’ or ‘submit’ option so whatever I typed I could not send. Adobe ‘support’ is IMHO not fit for pigs. 

I have a different experience.

I contacted Adobe a while ago regarding the same issue. The chat connected me directly with a support agent within a minute, discussed the issue, and a support case was opened. That was very simple and quick. 

Then I encountered what I call the first line of defense where they believe that it is either a user error or works-as-intended. After I gave them access to my computer so that they can see it demonstrated, the issue was forwarded to the technical team.

Most of the delay was caused by my travels.

24 minutes ago, SrMi said:

I have a different experience.

I contacted Adobe a while ago regarding the same issue. The chat connected me directly with a support agent within a minute, discussed the issue, and a support case was opened. That was very simple and quick. 

Then I encountered what I call the first line of defense where they believe that it is either a user error or works-as-intended. After I gave them access to my computer so that they can see it demonstrated, the issue was forwarded to the technical team.

Most of the delay was caused by my travels.

Did you not feel that your circuitous travels were caused by the mapless maze they invited you to enter?

27 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

I have what may be a dumb question, but even with M lenses that are working in Lightroom, why is the vignette correction grayed-out and unavailable? How is anyone making manual vignette correction to M lenses in Lightroom without making a custom radial mask for every image? Capture One allows for manual use of the vignette correction tool ("light falloff") for any lens with or without a profile.

I can't answer that - sorry - because I don't own either of the two lenses that I am told do have corrections. However, you could try going to Edit>Effects>Vignette...

15 minutes ago, tashley said:

I can't answer that - sorry - because I don't own either of the two lenses that I am told do have corrections. However, you could try going to Edit>Effects>Vignette...

Unfortunately, the vignette effect only creates vignette: I can add dark edges or white edges, but doesn't remove existing vignette.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, tashley said:

Did you not feel that your circuitous travels were caused by the mapless maze they invited you to enter?

:)

The proper approach is to put yourself in their shoes. Imagine all the nonsense they are being contacted about, and how they have to deal with many incompetent users.

With patience and insistence, I hope that I made progress on the issue.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SrMi said:

:)

The proper approach is to put yourself in their shoes. Imagine all the nonsense they are being contacted about, and how they have to deal with many incompetent users.

With patience and insistence, I hope that I made progress on the issue.

I have tried to walk a mile in their shoes but they denied that the shoes would fit and then corrected themselves but said that the price of the shoes had risen and that they'd been updated for different terrain.... on which they had no traction.....

I agree with @SrMi on this point but I also empathize with the frustration of @tashley.  Adobe support asked me to send them screen shots of the problem.  I replied that screen shots wouldn't help them and linked them to an M11 DNG instead.  A portion of their reply is quoted below:

"Your Adobe Case ADB-24303818-T8D9

Dear User,

Hope this email finds you well.

Thank you for reverting us back. We are still working on this case and checking with our senior experts. Please allow us some time to investigate on the issue further. Thanks for your patience."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, erudolph said:

I agree with @SrMi on this point but I also empathize with the frustration of @tashley.  Adobe support asked me to send them screen shots of the problem.  I replied that screen shots wouldn't help them and linked them to an M11 DNG instead.  A portion of their reply is quoted below:

"Your Adobe Case ADB-24303818-T8D9

Dear User,

Hope this email finds you well.

Thank you for reverting us back. We are still working on this case and checking with our senior experts. Please allow us some time to investigate on the issue further. Thanks for your patience."

That sounds very promising.... let's see what happens. It would be great to get this sorted...thank you!