I love the way the S3 nails color

davidmknoble

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After using the S007 for 5 years on the coast, I was reluctant to let it go even to try out an S3.  Yet, now as I use the S3 more, it just seems to nail the color.  The S007 always seemed to get the color well done, and I would tweak it, but the S3 requires so much less work on the colors, it is almost hard to edit the files.

This is Folly Beach, SC, USA this morning about an hour after sunrise.  S3 with Summarit S 35mm, 8 seconds at f/11.  Edited in CaptureOne 22.

(click for full sharper image).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by davidmknoble
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Agreed!

This is S3 with S120, straight OOC. Leica S3 profile. No crop, no adjustments, no vignette, no contrast, exposure, color temp, contrast, NOTHING. (Banding from 8bit compression not visible in original...)

Edited by mgrayson3
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, mgrayson3 said:

Agreed!

This is S3 with S120, straight OOC. Leica S3 profile. No crop, no adjustments, no vignette, no contrast, exposure, color temp, contrast, NOTHING. (Banding from 8bit compression not visible in original...)

Lightroom or Capture One? Personally, I (usually) dont like the S3 profile in Lightroom... And I haven't dived into Capture One, yet... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, helged said:

Lightroom or Capture One? Personally, I (usually) dont like the S3 profile in Lightroom... And I haven't dived into Capture One, yet... 

Lightroom. I looked at the Adobe, Cobalt, and Leica profiles. They were very similar, but the Leica profile showed more of the violet edge of the rainbow. You can actually make out the indigo band 😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, helged said:

Mine is through Capture One 22.  I have used Adobe Lightroom since version 2.0, and I have kept my subscription and my catalog is stil usable.  But, I began the Capture One journey with 21 in November 2021.  It has taken several months of viewing webinars and online tutorials (all on Capture One’s website), but I find the basic algorithm of Capture One, just on opening the file, much smoother and more room for adding adjustments. I also find the adjustments are much less sensitive (moving sliders further before a large change) whereas LIghtroom was a small tweak with a larger adjustment.  This just makes very small adjustments easier to make.

Where Capture One really stands out is the color balancing.  It is the best I have ever used and while Lightroom looks like it has the same tool, again the ability to make very slight changes is much better in C1. I have yet to find something I cannot do in Capture One that I could do in Lightroom, and in most cases it is a better result.

It is a slow learning curve coming from LR and I split my 80,000 image catalog into 4 catalogs (5 years at a time) to keep them manageable.  On the other hand, I really don’t see me going back to Adobe.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here's the Capture One version with default Leica S3 profile. No complaints, though it's a bit darker. I also prefer C1's color, but I catalog in LR, so that's where the first pass happens.

Edited by mgrayson3
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, mgrayson3 said:

Here's the Capture One version with default Leica S3 profile. No complaints, though it's a bit darker. I also prefer C1's color, but I catalog in LR, so that's where the first pass happens.

Capture One has four curves for the Leica S3 ICC Profile (Leica S3 ProStandard) and they all render the image differently.  Under the Base Characteristics Tool, the curve applied to the DNG before any editing is Auto for standard, the four curves are:

1. Film Extra Shadows - boosts shadows without anything else
2. Film High Contrast - which adds some contrast, deeping shadows and pulling out highlights
3. Film Standard - seems like the closest to my LCD preview
4. Linear Response - seems more compressed to me pulling down brightness and the image is over all darker.

In general I let auto choose, and it will almost always choose 3. Film Standard.  But I use al three of these and particularly 4. Linear Response if I have some highlights close to blowing that I want to be careful of.

I would say try the 1. Film Extra Shadow curve and see what happens, you may be surprised!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, davidmknoble said:

Capture One has four curves for the Leica S3 ICC Profile (Leica S3 ProStandard) and they all render the image differently.  Under the Base Characteristics Tool, the curve applied to the DNG before any editing is Auto for standard, the four curves are:

1. Film Extra Shadows - boosts shadows without anything else
2. Film High Contrast - which adds some contrast, deeping shadows and pulling out highlights
3. Film Standard - seems like the closest to my LCD preview
4. Linear Response - seems more compressed to me pulling down brightness and the image is over all darker.

In general I let auto choose, and it will almost always choose 3. Film Standard.  But I use al three of these and particularly 4. Linear Response if I have some highlights close to blowing that I want to be careful of.

I would say try the 1. Film Extra Shadow curve and see what happens, you may be surprised!

Oh yes, I'm a big fan of C1 and the way it manages profiles and curves. I was just engaged in a practice that I strongly advise everyone else NOT to do - look at a RAW conversion using the default parameters - especially when comparing cameras.

• Like 1