New Q3 with 60MB iff Leicarumors

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 4/30/2022 at 1:52 AM, Mark II said:

It only affects cameras with a sparse AF pixel array on the sensor. Cameras without such patterns, such as the M, do not show any pattern, and the latest AF designs as used in the new OM-1 effectively have the entire sensor as an AF array (quad pixel AF) and can be shot without problem.

FWIW, the Q2M is by far the worst for this out of any camera I have used, including the plain Q2. I am not sure if this is because with B&W there is a tendency to use more contrast, making the effect more obvious, or if the difference in the sensor toppings is somehow making the effect more prominent (eg stronger reflection). As a result, I often now make any daytime shots with the sun in the frame without stopping down, as this helps blur any pattern flare.

Do the Q2 and Q2M have AF pixels? They are contrast detect AF only,  no?

On 4/29/2022 at 11:52 PM, Mark II said:

It only affects cameras with a sparse AF pixel array on the sensor. Cameras without such patterns, such as the M, do not show any pattern, and the latest AF designs as used in the new OM-1 effectively have the entire sensor as an AF array (quad pixel AF) and can be shot without problem.

FWIW, the Q2M is by far the worst for this out of any camera I have used, including the plain Q2. I am not sure if this is because with B&W there is a tendency to use more contrast, making the effect more obvious, or if the difference in the sensor toppings is somehow making the effect more prominent (eg stronger reflection). As a result, I often now make any daytime shots with the sun in the frame without stopping down, as this helps blur any pattern flare.

It has nothing to do with the sensor itself. The problem is due to how close to the sensor the rear element of the lens is. The M flange distance is from film days, so the rear elements of lenses cannot ever be close enough to the sensor to provide the grid reflections. The upside of the lens being so close to the sensor is improved IQ in many other ways, so it is commonly done on all mirrorless brands except the M – and they all have the same problem to varying degrees – both on contrast-based AF and phase-detect AF systems. The OM-1 may be an outlier and/or they may not put their rear lens elements as close to the sensor.

Edited by hdmesa