New Q3 with 60MB iff Leicarumors

9 hours ago, viramati said:

Llease not more megapixels!!! Give me a decent AF system on par with my Sony A1 and better high iso and I'd be a happy camper

lolol... pretty much zero chance it'll be close to the A1.  It would need a BSI stacked sensor and might be $8K.  Even then a 28mm lens would be suboptimal for action IMO.

Honestly I don't really care about AF or tracking with the Q2.  47 or 60MP would be tough to tell the difference - it's a great camera as is.

Luckily I have an A1 for anything that moves.  It's insanely good. 

If the Q3 had a tilting screen and a 35mm 1.4 lens I might be interested but honestly I dig the Q2.  Would welcome a tilting screen but not enough to upgrade.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There's not much, aside from getting caught up in the hype, that would get me to upgrade. The Q1 --> Q2 resolution bump, SL battery, additional programmable button and weather sealing were all things I wanted. A tilt screen would be nice, but I'd only use it once in a great while.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Olaf_ZG said:

I wonder: would 60mp a reason to upgrade from the present Q2?

As it is stated that lens will remain 28mm, I will have one choice less in 2023 😇.

60mp would not be a sufficient reason for me to upgrade.

On 4/24/2022 at 8:13 AM, liggy said:

lolol... pretty much zero chance it'll be close to the A1.  It would need a BSI stacked sensor and might be $8K.  Even then a 28mm lens would be suboptimal for action IMO.

Honestly I don't really care about AF or tracking with the Q2.  47 or 60MP would be tough to tell the difference - it's a great camera as is.

Luckily I have an A1 for anything that moves.  It's insanely good. 

If the Q3 had a tilting screen and a 35mm 1.4 lens I might be interested but honestly I dig the Q2.  Would welcome a tilting screen but not enough to upgrade.

I agree a tilting screen would be nice and if there was a decent and reasonably sized 28mm/f2 lens for my A1 I would maybe sell the Q

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, viramati said:

I agree a tilting screen would be nice and if there was a decent and reasonably sized 28mm/f2 lens for my A1 I would maybe sell the Q

I really love the 35 GM lens and just added the 20 1.8.  Honestly haven’t looked at the 28 options but the A1 is so ridiculously capable it’s unreal.  
The Q2R just looks and feels so good that I don’t seem them as interchangeable.  :)

1 minute ago, Gobert said:

We might see same discussions as with M11: problems of getting sharp pictures due to overkill of MP’s.

I bet that is going to happen.  When I first got a 50+ megapixel body I found that my handholding technique needed improvement and I needed to up my shutter speeds.  :)

I wouldn't upgrade to a 60MP Q3 for the resolution, but higher ISO and better AF face detect/tracking would be welcome improvements, along with dual card slots or the internal memory that the M11 has. Even with all of this I'm still not sure I would upgrade, but who knows.

I really like using the Q2 for video and would love to see some of the SL2(s) HDR and codec support, and would consider upgrading to Q3 if it had more robust video support.  I'm probably on my own here though... I'm sure some of this stuff would have been added via firmware to the Q2 at some point if they were positioning it as a video camera.

I would strongly, strongly consider adding a 50 or 75mm Q__ if they would develop one.

Edited by matted

13 hours ago, Gobert said:

We might see same discussions as with M11: problems of getting sharp pictures due to overkill of MP’s.

I thought the same thing, we'll see when it finally hits the market :)

in the meantime, I still didn't have any chance to test the M11 out

On 4/25/2022 at 7:57 PM, Gobert said:

But it would increase crop/"focal length" which is the essence of the design of the Q.

Anyway, this camera may come or not, Leica Rumors has developed into the most unreliable site  in Leica-land... 🙄

• Like 2

Anyway, this camera may come or not, Leica Rumors has developed into the most unreliable site  in Leica-land... 🙄

😅

The phrase "for entertainment purposes only" comes to mind...

I have the Q2 and consider its 47.3 mp to be "enough."  The Q3 would be interesting if it offers a significant increase in usable ISO, though. 

When I finally get my M11, the Q2 will serve as a back up to it; as such, I probably wouldn't upgrade to the Q3.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Frankly, the Q2/M are already pretty close to perfect. The only changes I would like in a future Q would be to fix the damn flare pattern (grid of dots problem) and maybe a better way to move the focus point (eg a mini joystick, similar to many ILCs).

Also, provide an option to make the back button AF more usable, ie so you can take more than one photo before the AF jumps back to the shutter button - something that can also easily be done for the current cameras. 

It only affects cameras with a sparse AF pixel array on the sensor. Cameras without such patterns, such as the M, do not show any pattern, and the latest AF designs as used in the new OM-1 effectively have the entire sensor as an AF array (quad pixel AF) and can be shot without problem.

FWIW, the Q2M is by far the worst for this out of any camera I have used, including the plain Q2. I am not sure if this is because with B&W there is a tendency to use more contrast, making the effect more obvious, or if the difference in the sensor toppings is somehow making the effect more prominent (eg stronger reflection). As a result, I often now make any daytime shots with the sun in the frame without stopping down, as this helps blur any pattern flare.