Wide angle on an M8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been using Nikon glass on my M8 to go wide. I had a 20mm f2.8 Nikon and a 17mm f3.5 Tokina, the 20 works well but the 17 is too big (72mm filter) and heavy. What are other people using. I have thought about the Zeiss 18mm ZM which is the focal length that I would think ideal, but I didn't buy one when I could, a rare lens and the prices have shot up. The Voigtlander 15mm is an option but it is getting a little wider than what I want. Ideas?

Edited by tommonego@gmail.com

SEM 18/3.8 + VF 12022, both made for the M8. I have no experience with them though. I had the Elmarit 28/2.8 asph but the WA lens i preferred on my M8.2 was the tiny CV 21/4. Another solution would be the WATE 16-18-21/4 but i've never used mine on the M8.2.

• Like 1

vor 1 Stunde schrieb lct:

SEM 18/3.8 + VF 12022, both made for the M8. I have no experience with them though. I had the Elmarit 28/2.8 asph but the WA lens i preferred on my M8.2 was the tiny CV 21/4. Another solution would be the WATE 16-18-21/4 but i've never used mine on the M8.2.

I bought my M8.2 together with a WATE 4.0-16-18-21mm, but was never satisfied because of the crop factor of 1.33.
In my opinion the WATE is bulky and overengineered, especially when you need the UV/IR filter for the M8.
Now I'm happy with a much smaller Super-Elmarit 3.4-21mm on my M10-P.
For a wider angle, I successfully tried a Voigtlander 15mm/1:4.5 Super Wide Heliar asph. IIIVM.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

53 minutes ago, mnutzer said:

I bought my M8.2 together with a WATE 4.0-16-18-21mm, but was never satisfied because of the crop factor of 1.33.
In my opinion the WATE is bulky and overengineered, especially when you need the UV/IR filter for the M8.

I have no experience with the WATE on the M8.2 but it works well on the digital CL and has the same compactness as that of the MATE more or less. May i ask if you tried the John Milich adapter for UV/IR filters? Just curious.

9 hours ago, lct said:

May i ask if you tried the John Milich adapter for UV/IR filters? Just curious.

My apologies for butting in, I did and still do use a set of 3 of them (50/75, 28/90, and 35/135).  The Milich adaptors are solid brass and were machined by hand by John Milich in his New York work shop to very high precision and with very small tolerances.  In my opinion they are far superior to adaptors that are available cheaply through some internet sites.  Regrettably they are hard to find nowadays.

Pete.

• Thanks 1

The wide Voigtlanders 10, 12, 15 were a little wider than I wanted, though I was going the direction of a 15mm. I found an 18 Zeiss for a decent price so I went for it. It will get here in a couple of days. I did try my Tokina 17, liked the focal length but the lens was too heavy, solid chunk of glass, seriously blocked my 25 Voigtlander finder, had really low contrast. 

M8 17 Tokina, required alot of PP

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

As I said, I considered the Voigtlander 15, but found a Zeiss 18. I understand on FF M cameras a profile is needed to take care of the extreme corners. On the M8 this doesn't seem to be a problem, which is fine as I can't find a lens profile choice option on the M8. I will probably get a Voigtlander 15 viewfinder if I want to use the Zeiss 18 on my M3, I wear glasses so the wider field shouldn't be a problem.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

will probably get a Voigtlander 15 viewfinder if I want to use the Zeiss 18 on my M3, I wear glasses so the wider field shouldn't be a problem.

Just so you know, the Zeiss viewfinders are ultra crystal clear and far superior (imho) to the Voigtlander and to the Leica viewfinders (I've viewed them all side by side and the difference is quite astonishing).  The Zeiss viewfinders will cost you a lot more than the Voigtlander and are similar in price to the Leica ones.

Pete.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Received the Zeiss 18mm ZM today. Came at 2:30 so I drove to my favorite woods. Images looked good not spectacular but definitly good. Focal length iswhat I wanted, well balanced on the M8. Brought both the IR cut filter and an R72. First color:

M8 Zeiss 18mm f4 ZM 

• Like 3

An IR photo of a similar scene

M8 Zeiss 18mm R72 filter

• Like 3

vor 10 Stunden schrieb Stuart Richardson:

I still have mine from the M8 era. I felt it did very well, especially stopped down a bit. It is really at is best on film, where there are no cover glass or color shift issues.

With t he IR/UV cut filter I didn't have any problems with color shifts in the corners. I had a 62mm IR/UV cut from the Nikon 20mm lens this is replacing, with a 58 to 62mm step up ring I am fairly confident I won't get vignetting. Interestingly one review said the center is best at f8 and f11 while the edges are best at f16 with the center being affected by diffraction, hmmmm. I am going to have to try it on film, also see how it does on a more cropped sensor on a CL. I don't think it will be better than the 11-23 zoom there.