aperture in exif

Advertisement (gone after registration)

hello

i am discovering the M8 (bought last saturday…)

one technical question :

on the "info" displayed on the screen on the M8…

… or on the exif, when displayin the photos on my computer…

… i see the ISO, the time of the shutter, etc but not the aperture…

that's althougght a useful information to have, for me, in order to progress when analysing my photos

how can i do to pick up the info about aperture on the exif of  my photos ?

Vinz

Leica lenses are fully manual with no electronic contacts between camera and lens. The camera has no means to get information about the exact aperture used (no difference between old M8 and newest M11). The camera  guesses the aperture based on the brightness, ISO, time and writes this guesstimation in the exif field "Approximate F Number". A good raw converter or the tool ExifTool can read this information from the file.

Sometimes the value matches the chosen aperture, sometimes it's way off.

Edited by tom.w.bn
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Vincent Douce said:

hello

i am discovering the M8 (bought last saturday…)

Hello, Vincent, welcome to the forum, and congratulations on buying an M8.

I recommend taking a little time to browse through the M8 FAQ thread that will answer a lot of questions for you and the we in this M8 subforum will happily answer questions as well.  There are many similarities between the M8 (and M8.2), M9, M240, M10, and M11 so all the relevant information, guidance, tips & tricks, etc have been combined into a single thread so you'll need to pick through the M8 ones.

The very first thing I would advise, since having a M8 since 2006, is don't let the battery in your M8 drop beyond one bar used up because the camera will often start to lock-up and start to behave badly.  I always keep at least one fresh battery in my pocket or bag (they're pretty light) and automatically change batteries when the first bar on the circular battery meter on the top deck is used up.  That's what I try to remember to do and my M8 works flawlessly (YMMV).

Pete.

• Like 3