Leica APO-Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH Availability

ivohula

Advertisement (gone after registration)

How do people come up with stuff like  “I hear that Leica...” other than reading low level guessing and speculation on various forums that stemmed from people’s basements? There is no way to actually hear or know anything at all. Nobody at Leica, Toyota or Lindt chocolates will  come up with such infos ever.

And there’s no way that Leica will “dispose” of anything at all. Like you mean some worker takes a Summicron that has just been assembled and throws it in the garbage bin? Like “boom, dunk in the Garbage”?
LOL come on now.

My guess, coming from my management BBA (no, I did not hear this from no one “at Leica”), and just the same as with any new product (noctilux 1.2 for instance), it takes time to get an assembly line efficient. The logistics is the name of the game much more than the product itself. There is A LOT OF MONEY at stake in a good, well thought of production line. If it’s not perfectly well managed, the money loss can be extremely aggravating for a company. The name of the game is efficiency.

Adding a NEW product to an existing large portfolio is always a problem.  Textbook example of manufacturing. Don’t worry, once they get the ball rolling it will Roll.

LeicaCameeraUSA had the M 35/2.0 APO in stock recently.  I got one.  But they are now gone.  That should mean that everybody on the list at a Leica store moves up one slot as well.  And maybe a dozen people go away happy.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

For everyone waiting to get the lens, it is well worth the effort.  It is a great performer and a grail lens, not just in price but in exclusivity.  The only advice I can give is to be on as many waiting lists as possible and check with the stores once a month.  stores will call you to let you know if stock is available but if you don't pick up or return a call quickly, they might move on in the waitlist.  And it doesn't hurt to randomly check the Leicacamerausa online store.  Many people are reported to be able to snag hard to find items like the m11 by randomly catching the site when they happen to make stock available.

Leicacamerausa.com, it turns out, received 4 of the lenses this time.  I signed up for mine as fast as my fat fingers could type, and it seems I got the last one.  But that must mean that the Leica stores moved a similar number of customers up on their lists?  Was any of the lucky folks among those reading this forum?  My guess is that this lens is made in special batches, and not at a steady, slower rate.  Perhaps with a special consecration service and blessing of the laboratory before they start, to get a high accept rate at final test.

On 4/25/2022 at 7:35 AM, Capuccino-Muffin said:

...there’s no way that Leica will “dispose” of anything at all. Like you mean some worker takes a Summicron that has just been assembled and throws it in the garbage bin? Like “boom, dunk in the Garbage”?...

Might be a high failure rate for exotic element manufacturing that became mis-rumored as the entire lens was being tossed (as if!).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here it is:

at a distance too close to use the rangefinder.  Taken at f/2.0 but the independent-minded M exposure estimator thought it felt like 9.5.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3