Leica APO-Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH Availability

ivohula

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone seen one of these at any store? Just wondering if any of you know if any are being built. Any info from any insiders out there. Even the re-sellers who like to mark up to stupid levels are going hungry. 

Short answer: no.  I was able to rent one for a week last March.  A lovely lens, to be sure.  But its primary advantage over the standard 35 ‘Cron was its close-focusing ability.  Otherwise the non-Apo model seems perfectly on-par with this model for all other practical considerations, including size.  So I settled for the contemporary model of the standard 35 ‘Cron, a gorgeous lens, and called it a day.

I’ve been told that these 35 Apo Crons are extremely labor-intensive and are built in small batches (by German elves?), hence their perpetual scarcity.  I’ve also seen rumors that Leica has stopped production to reconsider the design and manufacturing process, but that’s pure rumor.

Good luck with your quest for the Golden Fleece!

Edited by KenTanaka
  • Like 1

I bought one last month from Leica Camera USA website. Don’t wait for them to send you an email that they are available. You need to refresh the page often and hope the “add to Basket” button appears. Then be ready to jump on it. It won’t last long. Good luck. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KenTanaka said:

Otherwise the non-Apo model seems perfectly on-par with this model for all other practical considerations, including size.  So I settled for the contemporary model of the standard 35 ‘Cron, a gorgeous lens, and called it a day.

Oh my.  You evidently didn’t pay attention, Ken,  to the many here who ‘hate’ this ‘boring’ standard 35mm lens. I, too, think it’s terrific. 

Marketing spin…

Less than $4k lens… ‘boring/no character’

Over $8k lens… ‘transparent/lets the subject reveal itself’.

Incidentally, it was revealed in an interview with Leica execs that the 35 APO was not initially spec-ed as a close focus lens by the development side. The technical team then showed that closer MFD was possible and the spec was modified. No doubt with a much higher price. I would have preferred a simpler design that actually could be used to full extent with the RF.  Manufacturing issues wouldn’t surprise me with this undoubtedly complex design.  

But to each his/her own.

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I live in germany and have a good relationship with my Leica dealer. Impossible to get it…I bought it “slightly” used from someone who bought it new in October. Price was minimal above regular price. But I didn’t want to wait and see what all the fuss is about. I have a summarit 35mm f2.4 and a summilux fle. 
the close focus range and the smaller size compared to the Lux is definitely a plus 

The non apo 35 is definitely a good lens, no doubt about it, but saying it is « on par » with the apo is definitely not true… maybe at f5.6/8, but at f2/2.8 there is a really - really - big difference in sharpness, contrast, especially in the corners. We can debate of whether it is worth the price (I own one and am not sure it is), but the apo 35 is a truly incredible lens given its size (length is even shorter than the current non apo with the hood).

• Like 1

The APO 35 is indeed a special lens and its controversial aspect is an expected part of the story IMO. The picture that this lens takes at f2/2.8 are immediately recognisable and carry lots of character, beyond just MTF and technical perfection. Compared to my Summilux 50/1.4, the rendering is very, very different even for portraits and it means that I simply cannot compare them. 

Again, I fully agree that this does not make at all the standard 35 Summicron "boring"; it remains one of the best all round performers, worth (and worthier of) its price, a great lens with its personality. 

1 hour ago, fil-m said:

The APO 35 is indeed a special lens and its controversial aspect is an expected part of the story IMO. The picture that this lens takes at f2/2.8 are immediately recognisable and carry lots of character, beyond just MTF and technical perfection. Compared to my Summilux 50/1.4, the rendering is very, very different even for portraits and it means that I simply cannot compare them. 

Again, I fully agree that this does not make at all the standard 35 Summicron "boring"; it remains one of the best all round performers, worth (and worthier of) its price, a great lens with its personality. 

Could you describe the differences in rendering (wide open) between the 50 lux and the 35 apo?

So the consensus seems to be that it is available in very small numbers - maybe 50 per month - and almost always through Leica stores. That is not many for the planet as a whole.

As to rendering, I believe it is similar to the 50mm APO, is it not?  Very high micro-contrast even vide open. Great for landscape and architecture in my humble opinion, not so flattering for portraits. 

11 hours ago, fededuran said:

Could you describe the differences in rendering (wide open) between the 50 lux and the 35 apo?

The lux is quite smooth creamy a bit dreamy, a "familiar" rendering; this lens was introduced more than 15 years ago. The APO 35, is quite different, assuming we are taking a portrait at F2 close, the areas in focus are tack sharp in some amazing ways and the out of focus areas are drawn quite differently making the main subject stand out. Hard to describe but I like the effect even for portraits, it gives a kind of "real life", "realistic" rendering of the main character who pops out with OOF areas that I like bringing a special/different character overall. sharpness is amazing, close up I can see facial hair and skin structure... this is not the point and some might not like it but when you look the picture zoomed out or printed, these micro details bring the realism that characterise this lens; sorry can't see how to describe better but this is my son's pic maybe it conveys what I am trying to say  (nb took it as screenshot so not appropriate for zooming in)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I bought one in August last year.  Signed up for email notifications with Leica Mayfair, but you still had to be very quick off the mark.  I think Mayfair received two - I clicked on the email link within a couple of minutes and there was only one left.  I haven't seen it in stock since.

It's such a good lens and has become an almost permanent fixture.  I also have the 50mm APO but rarely use it now.

• Like 1

I was also lucky to get one very early, right after release - Leica Munich - I read Leica announcement and called the store right away - they were very friendly and yes, they had one - pure luck I guess (and timing). I did not regret, a wonderful lens!!!

To answer the original question, my local dealer reckons he gets one about every 6 months. The last one was purchased by a friend of mine and I’ve borrowed it. He sold his 35mm Summilux FLE to purchase this lens, I bought the summilux. The new lens is incredible, close focus being a bit of a game changer, but I love the render also from the summilux and my friend would probably buy it back in a heartbeat if I were to sell it. I’m told that not only are the new lenses very difficult to make, but Leica actually dispose of more than they sell. I can’t validate this fact, but understand there are some significant technical challenges to getting this much excellence into a lens this small. I also owned the 35 APO Summicron SL, which was an incredible lens. I swapped it for the 50mm version as this is my preferred focal length and am currently looking at an M version of the 50mm. They are incredibly sharp lenses. Some have used the word clinical, I prefer to say it has an extraordinary character of its own. If you love it then you love it. It’s not for everyone, and I believe some portrait photographers may prefer a softer lens, which is why many go the Noctilux route. Jono Slack wrote a very good article on APO lenses which I think explains in a much better way than I could, how they compare to other lenses and describes the way in which the fall-off works from sharp to soft focus. This is the reason I like APO lenses so much, super sharp to super soft focus and reduction in contrast at the same time.