User experiences in prolonged extreme cold?

theHUN

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, davidmknoble said:

Just curious if you received any recommendations from Leica directly. I know they have separate grease for the Leica MP under those temperatures.  I also know they just posted a blog article about the SL2-S in Antarctica.  So they clearly have recommendations outside the manual.

https://leica-camera.com/en-US/stories/sl2-beyond-epica

Leica advised me to not use the M10 and instead to use a modified MP. And as much as I love shooting film in a rangefinder (I routinely use a GW690II), it just won't work for me for this particular trip as I expect a couple hundred pictures, but I won't be able to safely change film (let alone lenses) in the environment (I'll be living out of a tent for a few weeks), and since I will be flying there/back, so I will have to find a way around x-rays.

I also reached out to an independent Leica tech about advice on M10M vs M246 (or potential modifications they could do/recommend), but I didn't get an answer.

I had started this journey by getting an more familiar camera converted to monochrome, but the vendor damaged the sensor in the process. I was able to recoup my money, so no harm done, but still, it stung a bit, so I am hesitant about doing it again. A second monochrome conversion vendor told me that they guarantee a defect-free conversion, so perhaps I will give it another try. One downside is the larger body and a larger lens, but fortunately I already have the lens I want - 28/2.8 Elmarit-R V2 E55 - so this path is certainly less expensive. And since the camera is a known performer in the cold, it would also be less risky.

I had also considered the Q2, but I don't like the artifacts from the internal reflections when shooting into the sun in certain conditions.

@theHUN  Just as a thought.  I routinely bring both film and digital M's and it has saved me multiple times.  I use Domke lead bags and the film is hand checked.  If you are gone that long, I'd recommend considering it as a backup.  I also use the Sekonic Studio Deluxe II which does not require batteries. Since the lenses are interchangable, it might work.  I'm sure you've already thought of changing film / storage in the bottom of your sleeping bag.  While I haven't been prolonged in those temperatures, I have had prolonged time away from power (ignoring the solar systems today) and I cannot justify relying on battery alone.  Just my two cents - take a backup system.

Your only other choice is to probably invest in something like the SL system, which appears to have taken the temperatures pretty well, but I'd talk again with Leica.

1 hour ago, davidmknoble said:

@theHUN  Just as a thought.  I routinely bring both film and digital M's and it has saved me multiple times.  I use Domke lead bags and the film is hand checked.  If you are gone that long, I'd recommend considering it as a backup.  I also use the Sekonic Studio Deluxe II which does not require batteries. Since the lenses are interchangable, it might work.  I'm sure you've already thought of changing film / storage in the bottom of your sleeping bag.  While I haven't been prolonged in those temperatures, I have had prolonged time away from power (ignoring the solar systems today) and I cannot justify relying on battery alone.  Just my two cents - take a backup system.

Your only other choice is to probably invest in something like the SL system, which appears to have taken the temperatures pretty well, but I'd talk again with Leica.

I am just going to stick to the camera I have already used in these conditions. The only downside is its size and CFA. If it stops working below a certain temperature, so be it. The focus of the trip is the summit.

• Like 1