Scanning film - which file format?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

First of all, sorry, I‘m not a native English speaker. 
When I scan my film with VueScan there is an option to save the output as raw-files. If I do so and import those files into Lightroom classic the pictures look still like a typical negative. I can fix that with the use of gradation curve, but my question is now: Is there a workaround? In what format do you save your output? Is tiff the better option?

11 minutes ago, johnwolf said:

I use Vuescan and output to TIFF, but have always wondered if raw would offer advantages. Look forward to the responses.

John

I think TIFF is the way to go, otherwise as in the OP's case of using .dng you need another level of software to invert the image from a negative. That could be Negmaster or Negative Lab Pro depending on your post processing software, but Vuescan does a fine job with TIFF. Photoshop does have an 'invert' button but is too dumb to be usable for even a B&W negative never mind colour.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ralf1960Mono said:

When I scan my film with VueScan there is an option to save the output as raw-files.

A Vuescan raw file is straight off the scanner with no processing.  The intention is to be able to run it through Vuescan a second time (take the file as an input) and then apply adjustments before output as a positive file.  This is useful if you want to try out different options without re-scanning.  Regardless of settings, Vuescan will generate a very large (64-bit) file, including the infrared channel if appropriate (up to 180Mbyte per file).

Vuescan can save TIFF files directly but it can also save TIFF as DNG, which is useful if you want to import into a raw converter and make further adjustments.

Time spent reading the Vuescan manual is time well spent as it is a complicated program with many options.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 250swb said:

Photoshop does have an 'invert' button but is too dumb to be usable for even a B&W negative never mind colour.

So we are paying for AI software that’s long on artificial, but short on intelligence? 😳 (Sorry, couldn’t help myself!!!) 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, John Robinson said:

Vuescan can save TIFF files directly but it can also save TIFF as DNG, which is useful if you want to import into a raw converter and make further adjustments.

Time spent reading the Vuescan manual is time well spent as it is a complicated program with many options.

My plan is to use PrimeFilm XAs for scanning and Vuescan for processing. Most YouTube videos are comparisons but I have seen several older tutorials. So I will take a close look at the manual. Just which there was a downloadable PDF rather than topic/section links on their website.  That stated I do believe SilverFast SE 8.  How slimmed down is the SE version compared to VueScan?

Thanks

4 minutes ago, ejg1890 said:

My plan is to use PrimeFilm XAs for scanning and Vuescan for processing. Most YouTube videos are comparisons but I have seen several older tutorials. So I will take a close look at the manual. Just which there was a downloadable PDF rather than topic/section links on their website.  That stated I do believe SilverFast SE 8.  How slimmed down is the SE version compared to VueScan?

Thanks

In my opinion Silverfast is bloated and counter intuitive. If all you do is set the parameters for input and output scanning in Vuescan, and cut out any useless sharpening or dust reduction tools, it tends to perform effortlessly. There is always the debate which I go along with that you should create a lower contrast scan to get all the information from the negative without any clipping of tones at the scanning stage, and Vuescan is ideal for this. Do all your sharpening etc. in Photoshop or Lightroom and don't try to get a perfect scan or any final result from scanning software, it has a small brain compared to what you can finish off in Adobe.

• Like 3

Hi All,  as I said to John Robinson , I always scan in uncompressed TIFF never in compressed JPEG ... second important thing after TIFF
is the scan software that can distort the starting image , so you have understood, you have to use software that is "neutral"...

...   compare like John and you will see  ... I did with VS, Silverfast  and I always use Nikon factory software  > for me NO Vuescan which
distorts the image especially the color after test and comparison  ** 
Best
Henry 
...  who has been scanning for more than fifteen years and comparing 😀
The ideal is not to scan (it's digital CCD) and go directly to the enlarger but need to post on the internet or print on a digital printer
** After this test , Hamrick "robbed" me of 90 USD ,  I never had VS despite multiple complaints , but that's another matter  , not to Hamrick's honor anyway ...
and very happy not to use his VS too 

Edited by Doc Henry

I have used ViewScan on my mac for over 10 years.  I always scan to a DNG and the advanced mode offers a lot of control over the output.  I have profiles set up for different film types (Ilford FP4+ and Kodak Tri-x) as examples.

I have always used DNG profiles, in part because the DNG is a smaller files size and less prone to becoming outdated.  TIFF files are also fairly secure in the future, but are too big IMO.

I also have a contrast curve setup in Lightroom that is automatically applied to my negatives on import.  I do find that, using my settings, the Exposure needs lowered some and the contrast brought up.  I’m not sure that is any different from a RAW file from digital bodies, and I have contrast curves setup for my M10M.

I’ll have to check, but I may be able to post my profile here as a starting point for anyone that wants to use it.

• Like 1