Jump to content

Q2 and Fotos - what am I doing wrong?


T25UFO
 Share

Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I connect my M10 to Fotos App, I can take a photo and it then appears on my iPhone.  I can also focus the M10 and use the iPhone as a remote release.

When I connect my Q2, I cannot focus or take a photo.  When I press the Q2 shutter I just get a prompt on the rear screen to disconnect wi-fi.  It seems the Fotos App only allows the download of previously taken photos on the Q2.  Is this correct or am I doing something wrong? 

This seems so basic and apologies if it has been asked before, but I have only just started to use the Fotos App.  It seems completely useless for the Q2, unless you only want to download photos to your iPhone.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Just got a new Q2 (firmware v4), and I have Fotos on an iphone 13. It seem to connect and take photos using the phone as a remote trigger without problems. Touch to focus works. I haven't set anything up - just used the defaults.

Edited by LocalHero1953
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Just got a new Q2 (firmware v4), and I have Fotos on an iphone 13. It seem to connect and take photos using the phone as a remote trigger without problems. Touch to focus works. I haven't set anything up - just used the defaults.

Yes, it connects and takes photos using the phone as a remote, however what I think T25UFO is (rightly IMHO) complaining about is that while connected to the app, the Q2 itself is basically a brick with an imaging device on it; controls on the camera stop functioning, and the EVF+LCD do not display images. While this maybe ok if your camera is on a tripod or other mount, it is hardly usable handheld if you need to hold the camera with one hand and operate the phone/remote with the other...

My SL2-S can still be operated normally while connected to Fotos, which is what I would hope for and expect.

In current implementation Fotos is only useful for Q2 if you are on a tripod, or just want to browse/download existing images.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/5/2022 at 8:16 PM, matted said:

Yes, it connects and takes photos using the phone as a remote, however what I think T25UFO is (rightly IMHO) complaining about is that while connected to the app, the Q2 itself is basically a brick with an imaging device on it; controls on the camera stop functioning, and the EVF+LCD do not display images. While this maybe ok if your camera is on a tripod or other mount, it is hardly usable handheld if you need to hold the camera with one hand and operate the phone/remote with the other...

My SL2-S can still be operated normally while connected to Fotos, which is what I would hope for and expect.

In current implementation Fotos is only useful for Q2 if you are on a tripod, or just want to browse/download existing images.

Yes, this is exactly what I meant.  The M and SL series operate as normal when connected to Fotos.  I can focus the cameras (manually or auto with the SL) use the shutter release or the Fotos remote to take a photo, and it then appears on the iPhone screen.  This doesn't work with the Q series, at least not with my setup, and I am using the latest Q2 firmware and the latest version of Fotos.

 

On 5/5/2022 at 1:18 PM, LocalHero1953 said:

Just got a new Q2 (firmware v4), and I have Fotos on an iphone 13. It seem to connect and take photos using the phone as a remote trigger without problems. Touch to focus works. I haven't set anything up - just used the defaults.

Thank you.  Yes, if I set 'touch to focus' on the camera, I then have to touch the screen of the iPhone and the camera focusses and takes a photo.  But as @matted said this only works if the camera is on a tripod because you can't hold the camera, frame a photo, and use the iPhone touchscreen at the same time.  All three cameras systems use basically the same (or very similar) software so why won't the Q series work in the same way as M and SL?

This makes Fotos pretty useless for the Q series.

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, T25UFO said:

This makes Fotos pretty useless for the Q series.

A bit OTT! The scenario you describe (holding the camera in one hand while using the phone to take the photo) is one I would never use. I well understand that you want to use it that way, and it is useless for that, but there are other ways to use Fotos for shooting, aside from using it for downloading. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LocalHero1953 said:

A bit OTT! The scenario you describe (holding the camera in one hand while using the phone to take the photo) is one I would never use. I well understand that you want to use it that way, and it is useless for that, but there are other ways to use Fotos for shooting, aside from using it for downloading. 

Thanks.  Any help as to the best way to combine shooting a Q2 with Fotos would be much appreciated.  Always happy to take advice if I'm doing something wrong.  

I like Fotos with my M10R, it's like shooting tethered, but I can't see how to use the Q2 in the same way, apart from with a tripod.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, T25UFO said:

Thanks.  Any help as to the best way to combine shooting a Q2 with Fotos would be much appreciated.  Always happy to take advice if I'm doing something wrong.  

I like Fotos with my M10R, it's like shooting tethered, but I can't see how to use the Q2 in the same way, apart from with a tripod.

I didn't intend to suggest I had a better way of doing what you want to do! I realise that is not practical.
My own Fotos usage would most likely be for remote shooting on a tripod, or for downloading photos on the go, for quick emailing or posting to social media. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The only time I could see a practical use for using Fotos for shooting when not on a tripod or other mount, is a scenario where you absolutely don’t want to look like you are taking a picture of someone or something, and can perhaps covertly aim the camera while appearing to fiddle with your phone. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...