Q2 Exposure Help

Advertisement (gone after registration)

First Happy Easter.

My family was on a coach with multiple windows behind them- Very sunny day. No matter what i did with the exposure settings, before the family lost patience, the Q2 kept exposing for the windows - family was totally dark - ended up taking the shot with my iPhone 13pro - picture was perfect.

What did I do wrong ?

Hey,

you need to compensate the exposure. 
you can see this in the viewfinder. 
but you need to set up the camera for this. 
many if you need to do this again, find the exposure before you ask the family to shoot. Then you can look for the right settings without getting under pressure. 
(remember the song from David Bowie) . 
you put the camera in M (manual) 

you see what exposure the window is giving you. 

then you put your hand into the frame (the hand represents your family now, quite nice allegory 🤣

then you over expose, you open the f-stop or you lower the speed of the camera. 

until the hand is correctly exposed. 

then you ask the family for the shooting. 

you can always use your hand as a reference. It’s like a greycard (😆

in the analog times I always did a spot meter on my hand. This is also a way you can check this .

and last but not least. You bought the camera and spend all the money for this cool tool. Now this is no iPhone with fancy software to make the images look good. (Not at the moment) 

I would suggest that you book a beginner workshop for q2 shooter. And I bet that after a day of workshop the prints you do with the q2 will look amazing ! 

photography is all about workshop and teachers. Yes a cool camera is nice. But a pro can shoot with a shitty camera! And a beginner won’t do a good picture with a good camera. 

and an iPhone gives you an illusion of something that isn’t there. 

in the end , If you don’t want the hassle, the. Sell the camera and buy two iPhones. Then you can make stereo photography. But many you need a course of how to do this infront…. 

remember skiing . There are a ton of people with nice Equipment that go down the hill on their button. 😄

and always test before you introduce yourself to a shooting audience ! 
mir do you go on a stage without rehearsal? I bet not ! 

did you know that Steven jobs trained for every keynote many month! And the week before the keynote he didn’t do anything else than working on the precise wording and impression. He recorded the session and reviewed them. 

And have fun ! 
Find a teacher ! 

here is one in nyc 

http://www.3bmep.com/streets21

And this guy does it world wide 

https://www.overgaard.dk/thorsten-overgaard-photography-lounge.html

And this is a ver nice tutor if you want ….

https://youtu.be/t4dkq5toqRk

this guy makes workshops in vietnam,

you travel the family makes yoga and you photography …. 😚

https://youtu.be/OK8DVYL9Pjc

So this is my recommendation. 
when I started I had nobody to ask.

no internet , no nothing, I read a photography course that I found in the library. It was a pretty steep learning curve. 

no you have so much possibilities. 

there is a 101 cours on photography that you can watch when you are a LinkedIn member. You have to pay but it’s very good 

and there is Lynda.com too. 

so next time you feel pressure , test before the pressure comes up. 

we all Test and I can tell you, if my girlfriend isn’t sleeping in my bed , I have the camera there and the manual. 
i train every day ….. 

have fun …. 😀

peter 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Above advice is excellent of course, but you would likely get good results with spot metering - a simple setting change. There are several progressive steps up from that to get even better; use the directional pad to move the spot to the face of a family member; assign the zoom/lock button to exposure (and focus, perhaps) lock. Explore the available tools - the Q2 is rich with options. 

• Like 5

If you expose for the interior of the coach the windows will be blown. The solution is to take two exposures, one for the highlights and one for the shadows  and blend them later in the computer. However on a moving subject this does not work too well as you can never be fast enough to prevent motion artefacts.
Your smartphone does exactly this: a number of exposures in a very short time and blends them into a  well-exposed image.

For a camera, nothing beats fill-flash. ;)  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1