Bug in highlight metering (Firmware 1.3.0)

mosh1

On 4/19/2022 at 8:18 AM, budjames said:

Another bug is that I can’t change the function of the depressing the thumb wheel. No matter what I set it to, it always stays set on exposure compensation.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography.

Can change the function, but when for instance selecting Metering Mode, it always jumps to the next mode, without saving the desired mode. Irritating.

• Like 2

I found that for me it only stayed on the desired function if I immediately saved it to whatever profile I was using. And I do mean immediately! 

I now have the wheel set as exposure compensation and the press function set to change user profile. This setting survives switching the camera on and off and switching profiles. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ianforber said:

I found that for me it only stayed on the desired function if I immediately saved it to whatever profile I was using. And I do mean immediately! 

I now have the wheel set as exposure compensation and the press function set to change user profile. This setting survives switching the camera on and off and switching profiles. 

I tried what you suggested, but it didn't work for me. After saving the thumbwheel setting to no action, the thumbwheel still controls exposure compensation. Definitely a bug.

Bud

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

1600's Highlight-metering was already reality. come on Leica !

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 4/25/2022 at 11:11 AM, budjames said:

I tried what you suggested, but it didn't work for me. After saving the thumbwheel setting to no action, the thumbwheel still controls exposure compensation. Definitely a bug.

Bud

Hi There Bud

Interesting - it's working properly here - but when you say it's 'still controls exposure compensation' do you mean when you press it? or just when you turn it?

Because if it's the latter (ie when you just turn the wheel), then in Customize Control / Customise Wheel  you need to change it there as well as the press and hold function (which only relates to pressing the wheel, not to simply turning it)

All the best

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Took some time with the M11 metering today with the three metering modes most relevant to me. I'm keeping my M11 in center-weighted until the next firmware update. I'm very happy with the results from that metering mode.

Center-weighted

• Consistent and Accurate
  • Not overly sensitive to small changes in camera position
  • Exposure does not change with LV on versus LV off

Multifield

• Inconsistent and subject to over or under-exposure
  • Overly sensitive to small changes in camera position

Highlight-weighted

• Identical to Multifield except exposure is ~1/2 stop brighter with LV on versus LV off
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, hdmesa said:

Took some time with the M11 metering today with the three metering modes most relevant to me. I'm keeping my M11 in center-weighted until the next firmware update. I'm very happy with the results from that metering mode.

Center-weighted

• Consistent and Accurate
  • Not overly sensitive to small changes in camera position

Multifield

• Inconsistent and subject to over or under-exposure
  • Overly sensitive to small changes in camera position

Highlight-weighted

• Identical to Multifield except exposure is ~1/2 stop brighter with LV on versus LV off

Similar findings as me, though haven’t looked into the discrepancy with LV on vs off.

Sticking with center-weighted, which is still pretty darn consistent with my film MP and prior digital Ms. It’s actually made me consider switching to center-weighted on my Q2 also, particularly when shooting manual.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, caloosajo said:

Similar findings as me, though haven’t looked into the discrepancy with LV on vs off.

Sticking with center-weighted, which is still pretty darn consistent with my film MP and prior digital Ms. It’s actually made me consider switching to center-weighted on my Q2 also, particularly when shooting manual.

I've kept my Canon and Fujfilm cameras in center-weighted as well. Nikon's 3D Matrix metering has been the only segmented metering mode that ever worked well for me.

Looking forward to Leica fixing the highlight-weighted metering on the M11 though. It's really useful to me on the SL2-S.

Edited by hdmesa
  • Like 4