New M11 – Rangefinder out of vertical alignment

hdmesa

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, hdmesa said:

Update: Reseller has a new black M11 coming on Monday and has offered to swap it for my defective silver one. I'm going to roll the dice one more time.

I hope it'll be perfect and that you'll like the new black finish. I got to like mine quite a bit after my original Silver M11 was replaced with a black one... 

Edited by hmzimelka
  • Thanks 1

On 4/20/2022 at 7:30 AM, hmzimelka said:

While I understand that Leica M cameras are hand assembled, I don't really accept the varying build tolerances and quality control issues as an acceptable reality over mass produced camera and lenses.

Scenario:

You have a factory where robots build 100.000 units a day. You can pull one unit out of 10.000 off the belt and test it to destruction to see whether your robots are still within tolerance. There cannot be any random errors with a robot; they will always be repeated over and over so you will pick them up and check the 9999 products made before. That way you can assure a 99.99% QC success rate

Second scenario:

You have a factory where humans assemble products. Humans make random errors. To achieve 99.9% QC you would have to assign an inspector to each worker, assign inspectors to the inspectors, and test each product made to destruction.

In practice, the system is that an inspector checks each major step in the production chain without taking things apart -but he is human and will make random errors. Then you have somebody signing off the end product by eyeballing it and operating it a few times - but he is human too and will make (hopefully few) errors. 

That means that you are doing exceedingly well if you reach a 95% QC success rate.

• Like 2

😭 😂

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Finally arrived. Now the long wait for battery charge, then firmware update and setup.

I'm glad I ended up with the black. Even thought the paint is reportedly (pun) the same type as the green paint used for the Q2 Reporter, it is actually more like the green paint of the M10 Reporter. Leica definitely has a different spray application technique for the M cameras versus the Q cameras with this paint. The M version of the paint feels more refined. In looking at the surface under high-magnification with the iPhone 13 macro mode, the paint almost appears to have fibers in it that give it its texture (and perhaps toughness). Anyway, I love it, and I think it may actually be nicer than black chrome, which is shocking to me as someone who loves Leica's black chrome finish.

The rangefinder on this one seems to be perfect, which is a huge relief. The rangefinder patch is crisp and bright and there is no vertical misalignment.

Hopefully everything else check out ok once it's powered up.

Macro shot into a light source to show the fiber-like texture in the paint. This is not something that's visible under normal viewing where it looks solid black.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Another macro shot

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

23 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Good news on the RF.  Enjoy.

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff. I took a few test shots this evening, and everything else looks to be in order as well. Will test infinity focus tomorrow, but looks like my 28 Lux is hitting infinity at the hard stop as expected.

• Like 1