New video opportunities with SL2s and Ninja V

rim_light

6 hours ago, simonoz said:

This is really great news for anyone wanting to use the SL2 or SL2s for professional video. It already has good internal recording but for serious film work robust pro-res raw takes it to new level. 

It would be nice though they manage to reach that internally. Maybe by writing on both cards at once . 

6 hours ago, simonoz said:

This is really great news for anyone wanting to use the SL2 or SL2s for professional video. It already has good internal recording but for serious film work robust pro-res raw takes it to new level. 

While I agree in terms of image fidelity, mirror-less cameras are not designed for what most filmmakers understand as "serious film work". No PL-mount, no proper input and output connectors and many more design "flaws" make cameras like the SL-2S unusable for most "proper" film productions.

The big plus of mirror-less cameras is their small footprint that can be very advantageous for documentaries and similar projects. But adding a cage, the Ninja, a sound breakout box etc somewhat defies the original idea.  Fortunately, the SL2-S internal recording in L-Log is surprisingly good.

Quite likely, Leica‘s next iteration of the SL2-S will be more video-centric, if the SL2-S turns out to be a success. I‘m sure such a successor will sport internal raw recording and proper ACES implementation.

But for the time being, the SL2-S is a convincing hybrid with astonishing colour in video mode I really like to shoot with because the images are a joy to edit and grade.

• Like 1

Am 16.4.2022 um 13:42 schrieb Slender:

Small rig half cage for S1H works very well. Hard to find tho.

Can you confirm that the S1H cage is working fine without any modifications? That would be great? If it is so, we do not need an particular SL2S Cage?

I have the Small Rig half cage. If I recall correctly, you have to hone down a pin to make the bottom plate work. I did the honing myself, which means that’s as easy as pie. 

The half cage is as small and lightweight as it possibly gets without losing functionality. Brilliant piece of gear. Highly recommended. But hard to find. I got mine from Sweden after a lengthy google and some trust into an obscure seller.

22 hours ago, hansvons said:

Quite likely, Leica‘s next iteration of the SL2-S will be more video-centric, if the SL2-S turns out to be a success. I‘m sure such a successor will sport internal raw recording and proper ACES implementation.

Is there anything that would prevent them from adding internal RAW recording via future firmware update? I wonder if it may be on the table as part of a bid to attract "serious" filmmakers.

7 hours ago, matted said:

Is there anything that would prevent them from adding internal RAW recording via future firmware update?

The processing power. Quite unlikely that an update could bring internal RAW recording.

7 hours ago, matted said:

I wonder if it may be on the table as part of a bid to attract "serious" filmmakers.

As a hybrid, the SL2-S is already an interesting offer to "serious" filmmakers because "serious" filmmaker don't buy by fact sheets but love great colour and real-world usability. In that regard, the Sl2-S is leading the hybrid market, IMO.

Edited by hansvons
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, hansvons said:

The processing power. Quite unlikely that an update could bring internal RAW recording.

Good point. I was thinking that if RAW was available through HDMI then it could surely be recorded, however I forgot about the ProRes compression. The processor on board probably has built in hardware encoding engines for h.264 and h.265, however ProRes encoding would need to run in “software” which as you point out, is likely beyond the capabilities of the existing chip. 

Still, recording RAW will be a welcome addition, even if just externally. I would like to add a smaller LCD screen to my rig (my Odyssey 7q+ is a nice display, but fairly large) so it seems like the Ninja V might be a no brained with this functionality coming. Now to read up on how to actually deal with RAW in post… this is a first for me. 

• Like 1

I have the Ninja. I can say that it is a bargain for the money. The functionality is incredible. But the battery makes the whole set up top heavy, which is as bad as front heaviness. 

I had never the opportunity to work with ProRes Raw, let alone in a rea-life project. My NLE of choice (ADSK Flame) can’t read it, which means that transcoding is necessary. Colour temperature can’t be corrected after the fact, which somewhat defies the raw concept. If I‘m not misled by the white paper, the benefits are low bandwidth at a high bitrate (kind of ProRes 444 alternative with a more restricted accessibility).