Thoughts on moving cross-country with my Leica equipment.

rjsphd

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm moving 2500 KM in the US.  Moving my M10+lenses and SL2+lenses presents a conundrum.  I dare not let the movers handle them. For now I am driving with them,  along with the dog and the Mrs., but dare not let them out of my sight for 4 days.  My wife want to stop and see attractions along the way, but I will be glued to the car and hotel rooms with the gear.

I wish there was a trustworthy shipper that packs well,  would let me insure the stuff for the many thousands it is worth, and would store them until I get to the new town.

Do  you have a positive experience to share?

Bob in Boston

That's a little overwrought, man. Regular old camera stores get many hundreds of thousands of dollars of equipment shipped to them all the time without incident. I have sent many eBay buyers Leica cameas and lenses with no problem.

There is nothing uniquely magical about your cameras and lenses. Pack them well, insure them, and ship them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rjsphd said:

I'm moving 2500 KM in the US.  Moving my M10+lenses and SL2+lenses presents a conundrum.  I dare not let the movers handle them. For now I am driving with them,  along with the dog and the Mrs., but dare not let them out of my sight for 4 days.  My wife want to stop and see attractions along the way, but I will be glued to the car and hotel rooms with the gear.

I wish there was a trustworthy shipper that packs well,  would let me insure the stuff for the many thousands it is worth, and would store them until I get to the new town.

Do  you have a positive experience to share?

Bob in Boston

You can ship via FedEx or UPS and insure it, no problem. Or better yet, do yourself a favor and pay for insurance. I insure my equipment through NANPA's program with Chubb Insurance Company, worth the peace of mind.  The annual cost is around a couple percent per year of the insured value. I used to worry about my gear being stolen constantly. I'm still not careless with it, and certainly wouldn't want to leave it unattended in a car somewhere, but when I have to, I rest a lot easier.

• Like 2

I think you are worrying too much.  Are you talking about a large amount of "collector" class valuable cameras?  If that's the case, then I'd just pack them up for the movers.  I've moved extensively and never had any problems with valuables disappearing/being damaged.

• Like 1

Thanks to all who answered without being snarky.  I have been a little overly concerned, mainly because the replacement cost on my dozen lenses and three bodies is beyond my means as a semi-retiree. (No museum, just a hobby that got out of control, though I do use 10 of the lenses pretty often).  After posting, I realized I am well-enough insured.

So, I'll box em and pack em with the movers and drive with peace of mind.

Again, thanks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rjsphd said:

Thanks to all who answered without being snarky.  I have been a little overly concerned, mainly because the replacement cost on my dozen lenses and three bodies is beyond my means as a semi-retiree. (No museum, just a hobby that got out of control, though I do use 10 of the lenses pretty often).  After posting, I realized I am well-enough insured.

Again, thanks.

I’d take at least one body and a few lenses with you on the trip.

• Like 1

I have shipped many high value watches in the high five figures and used UPS registered mail. Every person who receives the package has to sign for it. That means it’s traceable every step of the way. But it’s slow. You takes your pick.

Edited by Le Chef
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, rjsphd said:

Again, thanks.

It's your call, but I would not even think of doing that.  It sounds like inviting disaster to me.

Having your cameras and lenses insured is one thing; collecting on a claim is quite another.  The vast majority of insurance companies consider it their mandate from Heaven to get out of paying claims any way they can.  If you let the shippers move your gear and it goes missing, I can hear your adjuster saying that your actions amount to flagrant negligence on your part - and flagrant negligence is not covered. 

Mr. Murphy never sleeps - if anything can go wrong, it will if you give it a tenth of an opportunity to do so.

My solution would be to get a large camera backpack and put the most expensive lenses and bodies in it.  I would ship any that could not fit by registered mail.  I would take the backpack with me in the car and carry it when leaving the car.  That may sound like a big pain in the neck, but I would imagine having all your cameras and lenses lost or stolen and then trying to convince the insurance company to pay up would be an even bigger and more frustrating experience. 

JMHO.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Robert Blanko said:

Insurances - you should always pay attention to the small print…

And watch out for that "fair market (depreciated) value" nonsense. 

Insurance adjuster:  "Hmm, lemeseehere, Mr. _____________ . Your 90 Summicron APO may have been in mint condition, but that doesn't matter.  It was six years old, so the 'fair market value' of that lens would be 40% of the cost of a new lens, allowing for a 'reasonable' 10% per year depreciation.  So your compensation for loss is $2200.  What?  A new one costs $5500 and yours was in mint/as new condition?  LMAO!! Doesn't matter.  You get $2200.  Be happy you're getting that much and just go away." 

Always buy coverage with replacement cost coverage (key words there).  This coverage is where you (not the insurance company's adjuster) declare the replacement cost of each camera and lens.  That number is what your reimbursement for loss is based upon. 

I have high end insurance for my gear as well as for collectibles such as vintage silver prints, first edition photo books, etc, as a rider to my home policy. A few companies offer this type of private insurance, at reasonable premiums, but with very strict underwriting standards, including net worth.  

Photo gear coverage is worldwide, no deductible, for virtually all situations outside  warranty, at full replacement cost based on values I provide. Replacement values can automatically increase up to an additional 50% without any need to re-state in the event replacement model prices are higher.  I had a need to use the coverage after a house move 14 years ago and the payout was quick and without issue. 

Jeff

On 4/15/2022 at 4:16 PM, rjsphd said:

Make sure they are insured with the shipper as well as your personal (homeowners) insurance. Document the each model, cost/value, serial number and photos. If something happens to them it is much easier for coverage from your personal insurance than the shipping company. It’s not to say the shipper won’t cover in the end but they’ll try initially to get out of backing their coverage. This stated I have never had any issues shipping with USPS, UPS or FedEx. I am sure most moving companies are good as well. 

Use a suitcase or duffle (I use camera hard cases) and lock them with a security wire and a master lock.  I lock them to the d-rings in my 4runner.  I also put lots of stickers on the cases and let them get pretty scratched up.  You can also use the wire and masterlocks to tether the cases to anything else unloveable in a hotel room, etc.

On 4/16/2022 at 5:43 AM, Herr Barnack said:

It's your call, but I would not even think of doing that.  It sounds like inviting disaster to me.

Having your cameras and lenses insured is one thing; collecting on a claim is quite another.  The vast majority of insurance companies consider it their mandate from Heaven to get out of paying claims any way they can.  If you let the shippers move your gear and it goes missing, I can hear your adjuster saying that your actions amount to flagrant negligence on your part - and flagrant negligence is not covered. 

Mr. Murphy never sleeps - if anything can go wrong, it will if you give it a tenth of an opportunity to do so.

My solution would be to get a large camera backpack and put the most expensive lenses and bodies in it.  I would ship any that could not fit by registered mail.  I would take the backpack with me in the car and carry it when leaving the car.  That may sound like a big pain in the neck, but I would imagine having all your cameras and lenses lost or stolen and then trying to convince the insurance company to pay up would be an even bigger and more frustrating experience. 

JMHO.

Bona fide movers carry insurance for the goods that they handle…. 

5 hours ago, jaapv said:

Bona fide movers carry insurance for the goods that they handle…. 

As far as we know.  I think it would be a good idea to ask and to find out about claims limits and exceptions.

It is my belief that insurance adjusters are like attorneys and IRS auditors - the less you have to interact with any of them, the better.

Edited by Herr Barnack